Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Dui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10850
B&w hitch

Which location did you set your Pivot arms on this hitch: closest to cab, 2 inches further back from cab or 4 inches further from cab. Ref page one of installation manual for model 3000 companion.
Any of you have any trouble with the liner taking up some of the clearance for the pin height. Did you resolve this by cutting 1/2 " from the bottom of the pin?

Dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You want,or at least I wanted, to have the center of the king pin just forward of the rear axle. That means I mounted my two braces as far forward in the frame as I could. That positioned the center of the king pin about an inch and a half forward of the center of the rear axle when hooked up.

I don't have a clue as to what you are cutting. I didn't cut anything. I would get back with B&W before I cut anything. I have put at least 12,000 miles on mine. When a piece broke at 9,000 miles (the shock absorber that works from side to side), B&W sent me a replacement part free of charge and paid over-night postage. They are very helpful.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
What Stiles said, how ever, nothing has broken on mine.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a B W hitch and don't know what you could cut that would make any difference to your problem. Like Stiles said call B W. If you have a problem they have herd of it before. They can and will help.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I too have the B&W hitch and a rubber bed liner.I just dropped the square shank in the under bed hitch and inserted the locking pin. No cutting or trimming necessary.Then I placed the base frame in place,installed the mounting bolts loosely.Then install the bolt that goes through top of the base plate to the square shank. At this point there should be about 1/2" to3/4" inch between them. Torque that bolt to specs( I believe 40 ft.lbs)then torque the shank bolts to specs.
I have a F350 dually w/a 3000rk Monty. I have the pivot arms turned forward,closest to the cab which gives me a good 1 1/2 " forward of the center of the axle. I originally installed it to the far rear for more clearance,but it gave a harsher ride. I hope this helps. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Running a B & W hitch on a 09 F350 dually long box and mounted hitch frame assembly ahead of the rear axle center, about 2 inches. Installed the two pivot supports exactly as per instructions with the true vertical part of the pivots to the front of the box. Took two of us about 2 hours to total completion with no cutting of any parts. We have a heavy sprayed in bed liner (1/4 inch plus) and this did not create any problems for the square drop in pin as it is fully adjustable with the continuous threaded 1/2 inch bolt. Follow those instructions closely step by step that come with the hitch and also can be found on the net. I would not cut any part as that could defeat any safety features of the hitch.
They are a great hitch!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Dui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10850
Thanx for the responses. Used the bottom hole in the king pin by lifting it slightly and dw pushing the latch in. All good . Switched the pivot arms to the middle position facing forward this should put the king pin ahead of my axle. Thanks for your responses...much appreciated.
Now the long wait for Montana 3580RL..should be here around Christmas...at least the hitch is ready.
Dui
Dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
That's great! Hope you enjoy your hitch as much as we do!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote