Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Sacramento, Ca

Even though we live in the Valley of San Joaquin, we are very unfamiliar with campgrounds around Sacramento.

Sure hope someone has a few favorites!

Thanks.

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We usually stay at Cal Expo. It works for us. It's very utilitarian, clean, safe and central to where we want to be...which is close to our kids. We stayed once at the West Sac. KOA. I don't think we will ever go back. It was too far from where we like to be and really close to 80 and road noise. We have stayed at Cal Expo about 15 times over the last three years. I hope someone comes along with more of a destination campground. I heard the Placerville KOA is very nice..although have yet to check it out. I will be anxious to hear what other MOCer's have to say.

Happy Trails. Marilyn
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I've been to the Placerville KOA. It's nice and close to Gold Country.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mina,
There are really very limited campgrounds in the immediate Sacramento area. We have stayed at a number of CGs around the Stockton / Sacramento area. At the corner of 12 ave. and freeway 5 there is a nice CG called Flag City. We've stayed there a couple of times. If you boondock then there are a couple of places you can stay. There is a Flying J on the north and another truck outfit on the south side. Technically I believe these listings are under Lodi. I believe in Lodi there are a number of CGs but I know nothing about them. We just saw them as we passed them on our way west on our last trip.

If you want to camp on the Delta then just head west on Ave. 12. We've never stayed out that direction but understand there are some nice CGs.

A bit further south on hwy 99 we've stayed at the French Camp RV park. It is a nice park but a bit on the $$$ side of things. It also is right on hwy 99. Even though it is on the road the road noise is not a problem. Even the trains are not much of a problem.

If we're tired as we head north on I=5 we will stay in Patterson at the Kit Fox CG. It is about 50 minutes south of the Ave. 12 Flag City area. It is a discount park. I think we used our CampClub discount card last time we stayed there.

We've never stayed at the Cal Expo site but a friend has and he says it is OK. A good basic parking lot type setup. Of course there are many RV places east of that area in the foothills.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We really like French Camp, but it is about an hour from Sacramento.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ditto for Cal-Expo, It's a parking lot but it works for the location. We like to stay in the gravel area, it's flat, pull throughs with ok room. $35 for full hook ups. The paved area is on a slope but ok. Not much else if you want to be in Sacramento execpt the KOA in West Sacramento, and like Marilyn said, not one we'd go back to.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
Bob and Myra,
You live in a very good area for camping. However, it's the type of camping you like. The Delta reagion around Sacaramento is full of campsites, Tower Park on Hyway 12 is one of many. Going East on Highway 50 you will find many sites in the National Forest above Placerville. However these are 'dry camping' be careful to check if the site can accomidate a rig of you length. Another short trip, is Camp Ground by the Lake in South Lake Tahoe http://www.recreationintahoe.com/campground. It's run by the City of South Lake Tahoe, has mixed sites including water and electric, with dump on site. The best part is all you have to do is walk across the highway to be on the Lake. Don't forget the Coast, Bodega Bay State Campround is another find spot. Enjoy, many short trips surround you.

Lee
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We stayed at Loomis once to be near our son at the Loomis RV Park. We would NEVER go back. It reminded us of the movie "Deliverance." We were waiting for the banjo players to appear. It had a 7/6.5/6 rating in Trailer Life, so we thought it would be OK. Wish we had known about Cal Expo. MOC is the place for info!
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote