Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
Splendide w/d drains into black water!

Just traded in our 2003 3255RL for a new 2006 3475RL. Getting ready to go full time this fall! Never had a W/D till now. I thought all W/D would drain into either the Gray or Galley tank. After hooking up our new Splendide 2000s We discover that it drains into the BLACK holding tank!! I called Keystone. They said Two models in 2006 were designed that way. I asked them if they could change it, they said no!
I could pay to have it changed but Keystone would not warranty it.
Has any body ran into this before? How do you deal with the gases and fumes coming into your trailer through the drain pipe? The added cost of chemicals if you wash a load everyday?

Floyd & Carol Fyvie
Birch Run, Mi.
2006 Montana 3475
2004 GMC 2005HD Crewcab
4X4 - Duramax/Allison

fc5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The drain pipe has a U trap that is always filled with water so no fumes come up the sink, which probably also goes into your black tank. The commode has a lid that closes with water on top of that. You always want to run your W/D with your black tank valve open or you run the risk of it all overflowing or backing up into the commode and all over. It seems like the W/D water going through the black tank would give you a very nice flush for your tank.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
My washer/dryer drains into the gray tank.But from what i read draining into the black tank doesn`t cause any problems,in fact it probably keeps your sensers cleaner.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-auto-48re
2001(bought new in March of 2004) montana 3280RL triple slide
Prodigy brake controller
color back up camera(from rvcams.com)
reese 16K slider
tire pressure monitoring system
line-x spray in bed liner
roll&lock bed cover
Yamaha generator with boost control
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Floyd, you may find as full timers you have NO need for potty chemicals. Al and I have used almost NONE in our Tana, and we are only parttimers. And, if the washer dumps in there, I would not bother to even pack the chemicals, give em away or take any unopened jugs back to the store.

Good luck on your new adventures!

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Mine goes straight to the dump gate, not plumbed into any tank. I guess if I was to boondock I can open galleys and gray tank and go into them, but we don't so i go straight into the sewer hook up at park.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Floyd,

Just another thought while I drink my java this AM----------------

What is it that Keystone won't warranty if you change the plumbing, to maybe something like Broome101 has?? Connections, right?? Possible flooding from a bad install of the new plumbing?? There are enough leaking tanks (black and otherwise) being reported, that I am not sure I would worry about that,-------------------- that is not said right, (coffee kick in will ya???)

If you change the plumbing connections and you do a great job and it does not leak, then why worry about something that Keystone won't warranty. They won't void the entire unit warranty cause you change the plumbin, will they??

Man, bring on a pot of java, I'm not sure this makes sense.

Carol
Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
Thanks for the helpfully tips.
When we discovered it ran in the black water tank we opened the valve to drain. That's when the coach filled with the sewer odor. The max air vent was running, maybe it drew in the smell? We are seasonal at this park and never had that happen before.
The camper being 2 weeks old, still has a few bugs to fix. like some of the cupboard doors falling off, The sealand stool does not seal correctly and will not hold water. We have not made an appointment yet with the dealer to get things fixed.

Floyd & Carol Fyvie
Birch Run, Mi.
2006 Montana 3475
2004 GMC 2005HD Crewcab
4X4 - Duramax/Allison
Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Ours goes into the black tank also. We just open when we are doing laundry and close it after. We don,t put chemicals back in and have had no problems. Keystone will not pay for the change over to the drain pipe but will warranty the rest of your unit. I have also tried to talked to them about this and found out that they are now replumbing straight to drain pipe but would not pay for mine to be corrected so i am going to do it myself.

Darrell&Pam
06 3670
99 F250 P.S. C.C.
Banks Stinger Plus
Husky 16k glider
Trans command
Super Springs
Huntly-Yorkie

Zachary,La.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think the Maxx Air fan was probably drawing the odor into the rig, especially is your commode seal isn't working. It might be worse if the W/D wasn't washing the black tank out.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Floyd,

the vent running could very well do that.

The toilet has a known fix, do a search here, there is even a phone number to call, open search to at least 120 days.

the doors, that problem popped up lately, many are fixing themselves, with glue and match sticks and other approaches, again, do a search for at least 120 days.

Cheers, Caro
Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the 3475 and have the same washer/dryer as you. We always open the black tank when washing and never use any of the chemicals in our tank. Your bedroom sink also drains into the black tank. As others have mentioned, it gives us a nice clean black tank. If our black tank is empty to start with, sometimes I will leave it closed for ONE LOAD only so that the soapy water will swish around in the tank for awhile. The washer does not use a real lot of water. Just be careful you don't do that if your tank is already full.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I asked at the Keystone Service Center and again on the Montana tour whether the washer drains into the black tank. They both told me they did that for awhile but quit doing that in mid-2006 because of the number of complaints.

As others said, it would help keep the tank and sensors clean and the black tank is the one most needing cleaning. We have taken to using checmicals only in very hot weather when it tends to get a bit smelly.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Fc5v,
We have the 3475 and had the same problem.I found out the very hard way by having it back up into the toliet and running out the bottom of the Monty. The dealer said they would change it and bill Keystone but it would take a day and a half to fix. We decided to leave it since we are fulltimers and in another town from the dealer. Now, I just run a load of clothes and then leave the black tank open while I finish washing. My big complaint is that there is nothing in that so-called Keystone Owners Manual that says anything about this. By the way, I noticed that someone said the bathroom sink also drains into this tank. Ours does not. We found out the hard way. Don't ask!

Leon and Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Charlotte
It depends on the model and year whether your washer/dryer drains into the black and whether you bathroom sink drains into the black tank. On our early 2005, the washer drains into the gray and the bathroom sink drains into the black.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
I realize that different models and years are plumbed different. I thought we were discussing a 3475RL which FC5V has and we do also.
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like Steve had said Keystone started this plumbing abortion in certain models sometime ago. They had sufficient complaints and decided to make yet another change. This is one good point about Keystone, they listen to their customers and if a change has to be made they'll do it. I would think that if a good number of those customers that have the washer draining into the black got together maybe than Keystone would help them out with some kind of change over. Remember it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
Just a quick update.
After some discussions with our dealer and Keystone.
Keystone is providing a kit to our dealer to fix the problem at no cost to us.
Everything should be fixed by next weekend !
Thanks everyone!

Floyd & Carol Fyvie
Birch Run, Mi.
2006 Montana 3475
2004 GMC 2005HD Crewcab
4X4 - Duramax/Allison
Old 08-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
I am very glad that our black tank dumps into the black tank only and our washer, shower and bathroom sink dumps into the grey only. We have a galley tank for the kitchen. Why change something that works so well............

Our Travels:Lstierw

2005 Big Sky 3670RL
1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Power stroke Diesel
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote