Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
LCD Bedroom TV , new position

Lucky me, our daughter and son-in-law gave me an unexpected Father's Day gift of a 15" Magnovox LCD TV (new item at WalMart for $248). My wife has complained that she couldn't comfortably see the TV from her side of the bed (closet side). Our old TV was in the top of the corner cupboard next to the closet. Our 5W also has a cupboard over the dresser and she wanted the TV basically centered from the foot of the bed.

Switched out the glass centered cupdoors to the corner cupboard where the sat. receiver is so can zap it with the doors closed. (Didn't measure the doors and the glass ones were about an inch wider, but it worked OK). Replaced the right hand dresser cupboard door with one of the solid ones from the corner cupboard. Got a piece of one inch oak about 1/4" smaller than the opening where the left cupboard door used to be.

Then got a pair of 3" brass hinges (3 1/2" would have been better), ground down the pins a little so they could be easily pulled from the hinges. Then screwed one half of the hinges to each end of the board and the other half to the cupboard frame. The whole thing fits in where the original cupboard door was. Screwed the TV to the "door". I can remove the left pin and swing the TV toward the bathroom to watch while shaving, dressing, etc. Will split the cable and run another one to the basement, then can remove the TV and put it in another set of hinges to hold the TV for outside viewing. It is secure and my wife likes the viewing angle better and also the extra storage space which was freed up by getting rid of the old tube TV. Hinges cost $4 (four pair--two inside and two for the outside) and the oak was $11.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bill, any pics possible?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Tv's in our new 3400 are Ok but big, heavy, bulky and obsolete. The vewing is ok from the bed as the TV shelf swivels out. We have the Sat receiver in the front room on top of the DVD and you can change channels through the glass. Have not figured our where we will put the Sat receiver in the bedroom yet.. We will not be broken hearted when these TV's break and we will replace them with flat screen TV's but until then these will serve the purpose. You do not have the cupboard over the bed...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Haven't figured out how to do pictures--looking for a nine year old to teach me. We had been waiting for the TV to die---they never do when you what to replace them, so getting one as a gift made the decision for us.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote