Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
sleep comfort bed

we had almost ordered one of these but then did not because of the confusing information we were receiving from all sources.We decided to wait till the 3400 was in the driveway before we did anything. Well we decided to do a bed test in the driveway last night and Helen lasted about 2 hours and had to come back in the house .I was developing hip pointers. Out district sales rep said that the queen mattress that is used in the Montana is NOT 60X80 but 2 inches shorter at 60X 78 (the king is also two inched shorter, so he said) However no matter how we measure this queen it comes out as 60X80..we are confused. Also for those of you that use the sleep numbers bed where do you put the pump??? we may have to go with the Bear bed from CA??? Help anyone on the size of the mattress????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You didn't have a memory foam topper, did you, Rich?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No Dave just the OEM Mattress. We looked at the foam topper a couple of days ago and Helen did not think it would make that el cheapo mattress any better. I would suggest you do what we did. Sleep on the thing then decide if you can tolerate it. Now, as Helen says I can sleep on a bed of nails ,,but not this mattress... No surprises here.We have repleced the mattress on every camper we have ever had..
Old 05-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have a 2" memory foam topper that we will probably try first. We will not even try to OEM mattress. You know those signs at the RV shows that state, "Please don't sit or lay on this bed"? Whenever I read something like that, I move the sign out of the way... I haven't been thrown out of a camper yet at these shows... I could tell as soon as I sat on this Montana bed, that it was never even going to be tried "as is".

Cheryl and I have been all over this country in one star (some "0" star ones) to five star hotels these past 12 years. We are getting really good at judging mattresses very quickly, just by sitting on them. My back hurt just thinking of laying on this one...
Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Rich, the price, size, and where the pumps are located in the Bear Bed is why we went with this model. We have had it for 4 years, no problem. We did add a memory foam topper also, the only problem with it is it wants to move at times while you sleep.
We had to do something, the Montana mattress did not work. We tried different types of air mattresses before finding the Bear Bed.
Good luck.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
We ordered a 4" memory foam topper from Overstock.com for about $100. I had to trim it to fit the rounded corners of the mattress. This is not a big deal. With the topper on the mattress, mark the outline of the mattress on the bottom side of the topper with a marks-a-lot and then cut it on the line with an electric knife. The cut is a very smooth and professional looking cut. The topper does not move on ours.

With the topper on the OEM mattress it sleeps better than what we have in the stick house. It also made the king size sheets fit better.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is the story, This refers to the 3400,We have the queen size and it has no rounded corners.

One important note…I do not think Town & Country will have a Montana with a queen bed on their lot. They stock all of their Montana 5th wheels with king beds. The Montana king bed measures 72” x 78”. We use a king mattress that is 2” short because an 80” long king mattress will intrude upon the walk space around the bathroom sink. A 60” x 80” king mattress will fit in the Montana bedroom, but it is crowded. The narrower, 60” x 80” queen mattress fits in the Montana bedroom with no problem.

Mark Krol

District Sales Manager
Montana and Mountaineer

Our only issue now is where does the pump go with the sleep number bed VS the Bear bed the pump appears to be built into the bed.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the queen bed that is 60x80 and put a foam memory pad on mine. It seems to work out very well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Phyllis and I bought a queen size sleep comfort!!!!! LOVE IT!!!
I removed the storage compartment cover (bed support) and put the pump for it down with the hydraullic cylinder. I routed out a hole for the two air hoses to the matress, and one out the side for the electrical. Just remember to unplug the pump when you move the slide in. It woks great!!! I'm a 50 and Phllis is 45. There is plenty of room, it measure 60X80 and we have no problems with it. It is a little long for the slide in width, with it full in it butts up against the dresser. I did make an extension for the end of the bed platform so that I can sit on the end of the bed. When we travel. we can either leave it down or raise the bed and then let it rest on a pillow on the dresser. Works just fine no problems at all!!! Hope this helps.
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After careful consideration we have decided to go with the deluxe bear bed with the foam topper, pending a chat with the bear bed folks Monday, if they pass my "interview" we will order. The sleep number and the bear bed are the same and are both excellent choices. The determining factor was the location of the pump in the bear bed being a integral part of the unit VS the Sleep number seperate..Space is at a premium in a camper. We can get the sleep number locally Vs California for the bear bed and would have gone with the sleep number had it been for our home and space was not a consideration.. We are sure glad we tried the OEM mattress out while the camper was in driveway..it was a disaster...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our deluxe Bear bed came today.We had it set up and ready to go in 20 minutes due to the fact that Helen is very good at understanding instructions and I am very good at doing what she tells me to do. It is a near copy of the sleep number bed with two differences. The dual pumps in the bear bed are built into the bed so you do not have to find a place to put them in the rv..A big sell point with us..On the negative side since it is not a sleep number bed it does not have numbers on the control.That would have been a obvious infringement on the sleep number patent. It just reads soft and firm so when you find a good spot you have no way of getting back to it. It was however 500.00 less money than the sleep number bed and for all practical purposes does the exact same thing.It feels very good but we will not get to spend a night on it for a couple of days..
Old 06-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, does that fit OK when the BR slide retracts?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just now went out and measured my queen bed in the Montana. It is 60 inches wide and 78 " long and when the bedroom slide is in, the mattress touches the bedroom dresser. My stick house queen is 60" wide and a full 80 inches long and I believe if I put that longer queen out in the Montana, the bedroom slide would have to compress the mattress to fully close.

I agree the OEM mattress is very uncomfortable and we used ours for the first 10 days of our trip before we found a Costco and bought the memory foam topper. This was a good fix for us and now that I see a full 80" long mattress might cause a problem, I am happy that we can stay with the 78" bed.
The width on all the Montanas is the same so if some models can accomodate an 80" long bed, they must have a narrower chest of drawers than I have. Very confusing.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #14
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I believe that I read somewhere on here that the people that have the longer mattress have to take the foot end and put it up on top of the dresser when the slide is put in. Letting it rest on the top of the dresser.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The OEM standard queen in the 3400 was 60x80 and the Bear bed is exactly the same size so there is no problem. the bear bed folks do offer a short Queen 60x78 at no extra charge..another sell point. There are apparently different lengths of mattress depending on the unit you have.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:07 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, are you saying that our new 3400s have room for full size, stick house type mattresses dimensions?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana is saying that..The OEM Queen matteress in the 3400 was a standard 60X80 no rounded corners..Now the King size does have the rounded corners bcause it is wider and would cut down on the walk through space. Just for the drill take a look at the bear bed site http://www.bearbeds.com/ they do custom make beds for Rv's.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
we have the king bed in our 3500rl. I am going to have the mattress rebuilt. it will be built to equal a high end mattress for a lot less money.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, Eldon... you've got my curiosity... How in the world do you "rebuild" a mattress???
Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
I will be taking my mattress to a serta manufacture (independent) and thy will strip the mattress down to the springs and install a high grade padding and a new cover. I had the mattress done in our last trailer and it was great. the cost to do a queen mattress was $200. they told me it would be about $275 to do the king mattress. I will be in Boise,Idaho next week and will have done then.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote