Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Reese Signature Series??

I'm about to spring for a new 5ver hitch. I've sort of ruled out the Kintec as they are still using in bed rails and I prefer to have a clean bed if possible. I've zeroed in on the Reese signature series that has the quarter turn fasteners to below the bed rails. Anybody else gone this route and, if so, what is your experience with them?
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Dave
We have the Reese Signature 18K hitch in our new truck. We like it very much, but you have to read the instructions. I was used to coming in flat when hooking up to my old 20K reese hitch in our old truck. In the signature hitch, you have to come in low and let it slide up and into the receiver. They have made the connection much tighter so there is no back and forth jerking movement. In coming in High the first time, I bent the pin in the rear that allows the safety pin opening to be exposed so the pin can be inserted. Took it to the Reese Dealer and with a crow bar, he bent it back to its orriginal position and now I know better. There is nothing in the bed of the truck when you take out the hitch. We also have a slider with the hitch and it all comes out. The pins that secures the hitch have worked well. It is a good design. We have towed our Montana over 4000 miles so far with it and no more problems.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave I have a Reese and like it alot! Did the install myself, not to hard to install, holes are already there except the holes in the bed. Have never had any problems with hooking the two together, pull the handle back up the handle will engage to let you know the jaws have locked in. I'm sure you have looked at there site. Really a good looking addition to the truck. Weighs 265 pounds, sure it weighs less than some others. Cost around $1100. Get the Teflon slide plate when you get the hitch.

Just recall having one problem with the first time I used the slider it did drag and had to go back and realign the rails and it has worked fine after that.

Site http://www.reeseprod.com/index.htm
Operating Instructions http://www.reeseprod.com/support/sup...s/N30058OP.pdf
Assembly Instructions http://www.reeseprod.com/support/sup...dfs/N30058.pdf

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the tip using a Reese hitch. Just might get one when I get my new trailer.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Dennis,
I was surprised at how heavy you said the hitch is. Do you have the 18K model or the 24K model. The 24k model looks like an overkill but there is likely something i am missing. Which one did you install?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave
I have the 18k slide with underbed mount. I am off on the weight it should be 240#.
Rail kit 60#
18K W/Slider 180#
Total 240#

Found the weights at http://www.reese-hitches.com/18-16k_..._5th_wheel.htm they are shipping weights.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
As always, good info available on this site. I ordered a hitch today and plan to install it myself.
Dave
Old 01-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave did you see were you need a dimping tool for Aline the holes in the bed? It's just a bolt with a point on it that you screw through the bed rails to Aline for the 3" holes in the bed. Go to this link for the actual instructions that will come with the hitch http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=SSS LOOK for ( Typical Installation Instructions ).
Old 01-28-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Dennis,
Thanks for the heads up. I did see the dimpling tool was a requirement. Some sites on the web specifically mention including this in the order, some don't. The lady on the ordering desk where I bought was completely clueless but the price was right. I figured we could make a tool in about 10 minutes if we didn't get one.
Dave
Old 01-28-2006, 03:56 AM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Nice to have all your ducks in a roll! When I start a job I like to getER done (sorry that just can out). One more tool that you may not have is for the button head screws part #4 in this link http://reeseprod.com/support/support/pdfs/N30061.pdf. You'll need Hex Bit Socket for the scews! See-Ya