Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
18,500 miles later, we're home!

We arrived home safely this afternoon from our extended trip to Alaska and we thank the Lord for safe travels. The house looks good, the leaves are thick, and our kitty showed up before we had the truck parked. Life is good.

We topped off our trip with wonderful visits with our grandchildren so it was the perfect ending to a wonderful trip.

For those of you who are curious, our trip expenses averaged about $3800 per month but several weeks (almost half the trip) were with the outlandish prices for diesel. That cost is every little souvenir and hamburger that we bought. If anyone has any more specific questions to ask, please feel free to do so. We are very open and ready to share the details of our experience.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
How was the ALCAN. I once traveled from Texas to Anchorage in slightly over 3 days, Driving a 62 chev impala and living on no-doze. WHAT A TRIP, in more ways than one. I met the strangest peole in ****ehorse, Yukon Territory. Course, Evryone knows them Canucks are different) Glad you all made it home ok.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Glad you are home safe, look forward to hearing about your trip on upcoming threads.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy
Happy to hear you are home safe and sound. I just hope our trip to Alaska is as memorable as yours.
Happy trails....................you know the rest!
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the nice thoughts, everybody. We're glad to be home but I asked my son if he thought it was okay for us to sleep in the RV tonight. He just laughed. We're rather attached to the old Montana. It's a lot cozier than a much larger house. I think we enjoyed the togetherness.

Rickety, the Alcan was everything one can imagine.....populated, remote, beautiful, rainy, smooth, bumpy, sunny, awesome, sloppy, crowded, lonely, interesting, boring, you get the picture. It's a good drive and doesn't require any special preparation to your tow vehicle. We had no flat tires or stone chips. Of course, our water tank fell out but that's another story. I'm sure that experience was quite exclusive, at least I hope so.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy I'm glad you got home safely but I miss you. I am anxiously waiting for the new Milepost so we can start our plans. Maybe you can go out to the Monty each morning and send us a post from there so you don't forget how to set up the 'puter. Until we meet again...
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, the thing I hate the most about being at home is that I'm on dial-up. So slooooow! I had fast WiFi in Nashville over the weekend and I sure do miss it!

We miss you guys, too. The Milepost is great and planning is half the fun of a trip to Alaska. Enjoy!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Judy and Glen, it was great meeting you two at the Reno rally. We certainly enjoyed your pictures of your travels to Alaska and are wanting to do that trip someday ourselves. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. I bet it is nice to be home now and then I bet you are looking forward to your next trip out in the Montana.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Doug, it was a pleasure to meet you and Sharon, too. The emotional response to getting home was rather interesting. It was good to see that all was well with our stick house but we really missed the closeness and interaction of living in the smaller space. Now we were spread out in different rooms, watching TV and doing the computer thing, and we didn't like it. We're anxious to get on the road again, after just a few hours at home.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Judy and Glen, it was great to follow your adventures this year. I have always dreamed of a trip like that and maybe in the next couple of years I will have the opportunity to go. I have a friend who took a cruise up there once and is interested in maybe driving it some year. I will have to show him your page and see if I can get an interest for 2007. Thanks for sharing all your memories with us.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You're welcome, Ron. It was a pleasure for me to be able to share. It's an exciting trip and one that everyone should experience. It's not a difficult trip at all and would be especially fun to travel loosely with one or two other couples. We traveled alone and would have felt somewhat disconnected if my brother and his wife did join us in Anchorage for a week and two of our children flew out for weekend visits when we were in the southwestern lower 48.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 AM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Judy and Glen, Thank you for taking time out of your wonderful trip to share the beautiful pictures and the narrative chat along your way. Where’s the next trip? LOL
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:08 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad you enjoyed the pics. We're already planning a trip to the northeast for the fall of 2006 but that's after we spend two months in Texas, attend a Montana mini-rally in Georgia, and look into doing some ministry with the Sowers Organization, plus little trips around the neighborhood. Isn't RVing great?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Judy and Glen,I also enjoyed all the beautiful pictures that you took,I for one will never be able to make that kind of trip so it gave me a look at a beautiful state.Can't wait for the next trip and more pictures.LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Judy and Glenn congratulations on completeing your trip. You are one more reason we regret not making the rally. Hope we see you down the road.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You guys are awesome with your kind comments. I don't even know how to respond except to say that I'm so glad that so many people enjoyed taking our trip with us through our pictures. We've enjoyed sharing our experiences and enjoy putting people at ease about traveling to Alaska. It's a great trip.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:23 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Glad to know you made it home safe and sound! What a trip the two of you had; I know you made countless memories!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote