Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
EGT

I am new to Montana product, but have been towing a 5th wheel for a year now. Had the "chip" The Juice by Edge put in my 2003 2500HD Dura Max. I find I can beat the kids off the line but when it comes to towing I feel it does not help. When you come to a hill the EGT (exhaust gas temp) goes beyond what I am comfortable with. Was told by the installer that the continuois egt should not exceed 1100F. When I turn off the Juice the transmission will down shift before reaching 1100F. I understand that if I change out the intake and exhaust plumbing that will help. My question is what are you comfortable with for EGT?

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We also have the D/A combination as you can see from my signature. When I had the pyro gauge put in I found that the temps were higher than I was comfortable with, but the installer, STC Performance which came highly recommended by several others, said that 1100 degrees under load towing up a hill was not unusual for a Duramax. The newer engines run hotter. I do however try to keep it under 1100 whenever possible by backing of a little, or whatever. Hope that helps.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You add the Attitude monitor it is supposed to defuel prior to egt's hitting a dangerous level for a certain period of time. It also allows the levels on the box to be changed on the fly.

As for upgrading the exhaust, by all means do it. Diesels move much more air than any gas engine and upgrading the exhaust along with helping with the flow of cold air into the intake will also help lower egt's.
I have added the Banks Monster exhaust, an Amsoil air filter and modified the airbox to improve airflow. My egt's do still climb but seem to recover faster with improved boost levels. The more air that gets removed with the bigger exhaust, the cooler the egt's will be.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Depends on where the pyro probe is located (pre or post turbo). If it is installed in the exhaust manifold (pre turbo) the max should not be over 1200*. If in the down pipe (post turbo) then 900* max. JMHO
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
palebluedot,
Thanks for the addtional info, you're absolutely right. Our probe is in the exhaust manifold at the #8 cylinder, so it's reading the temp right out of the cylinder, at it's hottest. It certainly does cool down as it goes downstream. It still amazes me that these come from the factory without the pyrometer. It's not that difficult to put enough load on a diesel (fully loaded 5er, steep hill, following someone who's slower) to put the temps up near the red-line. It's probably more important than knowing the engine speed (tachometer).
Old 03-13-2005, 05:43 AM   #6
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I had my guages installed at a truck service garage that specializes in Cummins. They put the EGT probe 1 1/2 inches behind the flange that connects the exhaust elbow on a Cummins to the turbo. They, like me after having driven diesels since 1965, had never heard of putting the probe ahead of the turbo. I also "color coded" my dial with plastic tape so I don't need to see the numbers, just the position of the hand on the dial. 0 to 850 degrees, green: 850 to 1175, yellow; 1175 up, red. The temps came from Cummins.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
My EGT gauge came color coded, just about the same as what you did: green up to 1100, yellow 1100 to 1300, red 1300 up. Only takes a quick glance to see where you are.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
cooksters
Established Member

M.O.C. #2646
All,
I have a 2002 F250 SD 7.3L PS. I installed the three gauge A pillar pod system with EGT, Boost, and Tranny temp along with a Banks 4" exhaust system with 4 " power elbow. The EGT probe goes just after the turbo in the power elbow, there was a bung for it. The directions on the Pyro gauge also talked about an installation in the exhaust manifold before the turbo...I read that with curriosity because I know that you reduce temps to protect the turbo. So with the bung for the EGT probe in the 4" power elbow... that's where I installed it and have been very happy with the performance. Lots of air in and as much unrestricted flow as you can get out. I too have found that the power stroke with the Superchip tuner has all the Giddy up that a man could want, and when your excited to get to that great getaway the foot gets heavy and that Pyro gauge keeps me honest. I wouldn't leave home without it.
cooksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cooksters

All,
I have a 2002 F250 SD 7.3L PS. [...] I too have found that the power stroke with the Superchip tuner has all the Giddy up that a man could want, [...]
I'd love more power (I have a 2002 F250 7.3), but the 4R100 transmission that is behind the 7.3PSD is rated for a maximum of 1000ft/lbs. It has a 2X torque converter so the factory rating (250HP and 500ft/lbs) is right at that transmissions rated limit.

I'll wait for a newer truck that has a transmission to match the higher factory power...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
To help with diesel prices I just installed a Edge Controller and Attitude guage set in my 2005 Dodge 3500. What would some of the more experienced diesel drivers recommend for the settings. Right noe the EGT is set at 1350 F from the factory. The installer left it that way.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I saw a couple of posts in the Dodge sites below that seemed to indicate that the Attitude sometimes was a bit off on EGT readings. I can't remember how much or which direction. You can go to these sites and do searches/read the old posts.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...s=&forumid=107
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...s=&forumid=127

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just had the pyro and boost gauge installed in the truck yesterday. It came color coded just like a rpm gauge is. Green 100-1100 Yellow 1100-1250 Red 1250-1400. I am amazed at how much the needle moves as the temps rise with throttle movement. Most boost I have seen is 20psi, but that is with no load. Only two more weeks until the coach is out of storage for summer. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:36 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Can someone tell me if EGT max recommended readings are engine dependent or are they the same for all engines? I read this thread with interest. When I researched max for my truck's engine I found pretty much consensus that the max acceptable (pre-turbo) is 1100 continuous and 1270 for short times. That sounds like it's pretty much in line with what you all are saying for your trucks' engines. I do wish my pyro had the color coded ranges or at least some indication.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote