Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Finally Finished Edge/Attitude Install

Took me almost 5 hours but I managed to complete installing The Edge Juice/Attitude today. Just got back from a long road test and I have got to say I am greatly impressed with it. Even my wife was able to tell the difference after driving some. The only thing that is bugging me is the boost, do any of you know what the normal boost should be at the speed of 65 miles ? The default for the Edge alert is 25.2, tonight as I was testing I was hitting boost figures of +40. They did't hold very long but unless I slowed to a very slow speed (25 or 30 mph) they were always over 25.2. I would appreciate some education on Boost.

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
I think your gauge is off, I doubt you could pull that much boost unless you were pulling a heavy load up a long grade. Find someone who has a proven manifold preasure gauge and double check it. Do you have a variable pitch turbo?
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
No, I don't have a variable pitch turbo. I thought the figure was out in left field. I didn't expect to see pressure's greater than about 30 PSI. I'll do some more testing tomorrow. I did the set up on the Attitude control box in a real big hurry. Thanks for you reply.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
JerryB, well i did some more testing and reading today today and finally figured that the boost window in my controller has a decimal point in the boost figure. I though I was pull 40 psi when it was only 4.0....tells you how much I know about the subject. I use to fly an turbo airplane with varible pitch prop and controlled the boost with it. I guest based on what I am seeing on my truck, I can controlled it pretty much with the throttle.

I did a long test run, about a 100 miles and every thing looked good. Engine temp never got over 185, transmission was steady at 170 degrees, I set the cruise at 70 and my EGT was about 625 degrees and boost was arount 4.5 to 6.0 PSI during the period I was doing this speed. All reading were significent lower at slower speeds except engine and transmission temps. They stayed about th e same for the entire test.

I was using power setting 2 on my chip.

Of course the real test comes when I hang the Monty behind it. We are leaving Thursday on trip, it will be flat landscape but maybe I can get some sort of an idea about the effect of the chip with a load on.

Would appreciate any comments you or anyone on the forum might have that will help me better understand all the stuff relating to a performance chip.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
It does work about the same as an airplane, you just can't control the pitch except with the throtle. Both boost and egt are controled with the throtle, if you keep the rpms up I doubt you will ever overheat or overboost. Mine gets the best economy and power about 1900.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
On an airplane, the usual measure is manifold pressure. Manifold pressure is measured with a simple pressure gauge connected to the intack manifold between the air source and the intake valves. This is a restricted volume area and flow is relatively smooth. Therefore a measure of pressure here gives a pretty good idea of the flow rate of air going into the engine. In fact, when this measure is combined with RPM, a very good first order estimate of power output can be made. Manifold pressure is meaured in inches of mercury and matches local atmospheric pressure when the engine is not running.

When the engine is running and drawing air with the throttle at idle, the pressure in the manifold drops. This is because the engine is drawing air but the throttle is restricting the flow of that air. Usual readings are around 10 or 12 inches at idle. As the trottle is opened the restriction is relieved and the pressure in the Manifold more closely matches the atmospheric pressure. As the turbo kicks in the pressure in the manaifold exceeds atmospheric pressure up to around 40 inches at full acceleration and maxpower.

I'm not sure how your edge is configured or calibrated but, from some of the numbers you are kicking around, it sounds very similar.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:59 AM   #7
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Thanks for all the comments. I think the investment in the performance check will be well justified. My Dura Max seems like a new truck, all gear shifting is so smooth. The pick up is amazing too.