Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Brake Job - WOW

Just completed doing brake and backing plate replacement on the Monty. I did this because of a noticeable decrease in braking performance. What I found was troublesome because it indicated a lack QC on both Dexter and Keystone. First, when I pulled the hubs off, I found the left front drum was full of grease. (I have never used the zerk ftg. to lube) First time removed since new. What I found was a nick at the edge of the axle where the seal slides over it. Had to be from the factory and must have damaged the seal when installed.
Second, I wanted to inspect the wiring connections that were concealed in the belly pan that splits the front and rear axle wiring. When I removed about 4 of the self taping screws for the belly pan I was able to gain access to the wiring connections. They had about an extra 6' of gray brake wire stuffed in there and when I pulled it out and exposed the crimp connection, one of the ground wires pulled out of the crimp sleeve. on Keystone!
I ended up re-wiring everything, soldered & shrink sleeved all connections.
Upon re-installation, I decided to get a better quality seal. Went to a local bearing distributor and bought Timken shielded double lip seal. Timken part # 412920 in case anyone is interested.
Photo below show the Timken compared to the Dexter seal.

Also, found that the rubber plugs in all the dust caps were deteriorating.

Ordered new ones from Dexter Parts Online. $6.52 for all four and that included shipping.
Just wanted to share my experience here in case anyone is experiencing braking problems, these could be a couple things to look at.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I can understand Keystone not wanting to solder the wires, but to just crimp them? May as well have used a Scotchlock! A reasonable alternative on their part would have been to at least use a heat-shrink connector. Great idea on the seal upgrade. I printed this for the part # should it apply to my Hannah.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Yeah, about those rubber plugs - what's up with them? I had to replace 3 of them on our 06 because the center nub was cracked, and even broke off on one. The things are protected by the wheel hub cover, so it's not they were hit with anything.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I posted on this last year, but given similarities in our rig....my truck's integrated brake controller shorted out. Long story short -dexter runs the brake wire inside of the axles without any support and very little insulation. Mr rear axle wire had worn the insulation off and would direct short when it moved around inside the axle. Since it was intermittent, took awhile to diagnose. Dexter did pay to re wire both axles, but I had wires run on outside of the axle so they can be inspected.
I also abandoned chevy's brake controller and installed a prodigy. One thing I found out in this process is that rv mechanics have no knowledge of Chevy brake controller, and it took two Chevy dealers to find someone who knew how to diagnose problems.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Bobsal, was this the first brake work on this rig. I can't see how the grease in the drum wasn't discovered during a wheel bearing packing job by hand if the zerk was not use, unless the bearings haven't been repacked in 4+ years. Did you buy this rig new? If so, I have seen the dealers check list for trailers shipped from Keystone, bearing and brakes are on that check list after being pulled from factory to dealer. I know when mine arrived, there was very little grease, and dealer showed me, before repacking by hand.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Bobsal, was this the first brake work on this rig. I can't see how the grease in the drum wasn't discovered during a wheel bearing packing job by hand if the zerk was not use, unless the bearings haven't been repacked in 4+ years. Did you buy this rig new? If so, I have seen the dealers check list for trailers shipped from Keystone, bearing and brakes are on that check list after being pulled from factory to dealer. I know when mine arrived, there was very little grease, and dealer showed me, before repacking by hand.
Yes, this was the first repack since new. We have not used it too much since taking delivery as DW still worked till last year. Only put 1000 miles or less per year. Should be able to use it more now that she retired.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I had the same type of issue with my brakes and axles also. The rear axle, both sides, had grease in the brake drums and one of the brake shoes was just laying loose in the drum. I had to replace the backing plates and brakes on both sides of that axle. I contacted Dexter and they were very good at covering my costs! Thier QC could use a little tightening up though.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
The brakes on my rig are not what they should be and I suspect some of the same problems. To remedy my situation I will be converting the brake system to disk's. Large trailers should come with disk's and not the outdated electric magnet system.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree, we also went to disks and wouldn't go back. That alone will keep us from buying a new one until disks are offered.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
robertp2511

M.O.C. #6820
Thanks to Bobsals,,,,and this thread,I'm in Pa.at Gettysburg with a 09-3665RE. Trailer brakes dissapared 200 mile back,thought it was in the new Chevy (to us) tow vechicle as this was our 2nd trip out. Trouble shooting and reading this thread led me to having wife pull disconnect switch while I have both hands on the backing plates,,,nothing nada,,,,,,,,remove (break off) rusted screws holding belly plastic drivers side in between axles and there was 6-7feet of grey wire laying in a bunch with ends that we're crimped and had fallen apart!!! Bought a soldering gun at Wally World and we are back in business!!!!!, thanks again to all the great write ups and wanted to share more info for others.
robertp2511 is offline   Reply With Quote