Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Paska65

M.O.C. #12115
New B&W Companion slider..

Anyone have any info on the new companion slider hitch?

Paska65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
I had a dealer install the B&W turnover ball hitch under the truck bed and put the two boxes containing the Companion Hitch in the back of the truck and I installed it myself. It's a simple process and comes with complete instructions. It took me about an hour. One note; If you are installing the Companion in a 2011 or newer Ford truck, you must install some spacer blocks under the hitch frame in the bed of your truck or damage to the bed could result. B&W will supply the spacers free of charge. Just call their toll free number. You can check out the B&W hitches at B&W hitches.com By the way, I am absolutely happy with mine. It's quiet, when locked, it is a positive lock, and it is built tough. (in the U.S.A.)!!!!!!!!!
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Forgot to say, mine is not a slider..
Dick
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
I have the Companion.. never used the gooseneck ball.. but for a WONDERFUL but $$$$ hitch.. they are great. Pull it out by unloosening 1 bolt and 4 nuts.. and it comes out clean with NOTHING on the deck. Best investment I've ever made for a hitch.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Just make sure you check the bolts that hold the vertical pivot arms to the companion base assembly frequently. Mine get loose after a few hauls. I have thought about putting extra holes to install some hardened dowel pins to prevent the forward and backward pivoting motions that cause the nuts to loosen. ....or make some shoulder bolts to fit the through holes of the parts. Even thought about just welding them together, but that would eliminate the adjustability of the hitch, so I have not done that.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote