Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
keeping cupboard closed while travelling

The cupboards that have handles next to each other I bungee. But the ones that don't have anything to bungee to can open on rough roads. How have the rest of you handled this problem? I made a "L" shaped piece of oak with a screw through it so I can swivel the "L" over the door to keep it closed but am wondering what else has been done by this creative group.

Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
DTIEDEMAN
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12686
Just change the latches to a Southco SC-4320 and you never have a problem again.
DTIEDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't know what latches we have but they have been working just fine. We also have all plastic-like stuff(plastic, melamine, lightweight metal pots & pans, etc.) for all dishware and cookware (including wine glasses, tumblers, plates, etc.) and installed that rubber like stuff for the shelves that keeps things from moving around. We also store a toaster, mixer, griddles and so far, we have been fortunate nothing has come open. The pantry also has the rubber shelf stuff and we try and pack the heaviest stuff lower in the cabinets. We have bounced and jounced on some pretty bad roads and I try and anticipate some bad stuff and slow down to lessen any potential problems.

I don't know what kind of latches they are, but I have checked every one that they line up and latch very well. I do think this is the first key thing to do. I have experienced enough cabinet latches that do NOT line up and had to make adjustments. It's amazing what a factory will deem as acceptable to ship to a customer.

BTW - Off topic.... We've finally been through "The Dalles, OR" (pronounced "the dolls" - even was taught how to say it) and what a surprisingly wonderful place it is (other than the wind).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Door bolts (small) might work.

Also contact Mynabird here on MOC, her hubs HoboBob used some on their last Montana, small, with a flip kinda hook, I cannot find the "real name" or a photo right now.

Edited for a stupid typo! SIGH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Bob called them piano hooks I think. Little brass hooks. If different, I will post later.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just added magnetic door latches from Lowe's and left the original on there. Lowe's has two kinds, I use the strongest magnets.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
baby proof catches work for us
Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We have used all three: bungees, piano hooks, and baby proof. They all have worked where we used them.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I installed a second roller catch on the larger doors as well as the roll-out trash can drawer. Also, did what Art-n-Marge have done (except have not yet gone through "The Dalles"
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge
.... We've finally been through "The Dalles, OR" (pronounced "the dolls" - even was taught how to say it) and what a surprisingly wonderful place it is (other than the wind).
Hotter than hell in the summer, colder than the arctic in the winter, and like a wind-tunnel all year long, ...yeah it's a great place to be from, .....far, far away from that is.

Funny, lived here for 47 years, and never heard it called "the dolls", heard it called some funny things though, among them "theed-all-leeze" as one word.

As far as I know, it has always been pronounced like the guys name, Al with a D on the front, proceeded with "The". As in The D'AL's, short A sound.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mynabird

Bob called them piano hooks I think. Little brass hooks. If different, I will post later.
I am corrected....jewelry boxes....music box. He found at OSH in the "odd hinges"! (Iam not touching that statement!)
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just saw something on a hunting show today. It's called loop rope and is used for strapping things down, like on a back pack or to the hood of a car. I'm going to look into it for possibly securing things inside and outside of cabinets. We have had some of our great highways cause things to bounce out of the cabinets recently. I think the web site is looprope.com.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Donandbonnie
It's called velcro strapping. Home Depot sells it in 12 foot packages. Works great, I use it on all the cabinet doors and will use it for the draws also. I use the 3/4 inch width.

I use the first one here http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
X2 on the velcro strapping.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote