Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Mad cow disease

Noted on another post the comment about not eating ground beef because of mad cow disease. Try buffalo! It is leaner (less cholesterol than chicken), cooks faster, and tastes great! We buy it locally, which is cheaper than buying it over the internet. You have to be careful not to overcook or it will be dry.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
And you can get salmonella from chicken or eggs, trichonosis (sp?) from pork, mercury poisioning from fish, pesticide poisioning from veggies... the list goes on and on.

Buffalo is very good, and you are right it can get very dry if you over cook. At our local meat store, they combine 1/2 beef with 1/2 buffalo.

Live your life and don't worry too much about all the bad things. You never know what is going to happen to you, might as well enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

Noted on another post the comment about not eating ground beef because of mad cow disease. Try buffalo! It is leaner (less cholesterol than chicken), cooks faster, and tastes great! We buy it locally, which is cheaper than buying it over the internet. You have to be careful not to overcook or it will be dry.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Deer is good also but it can dry and toughen easily. When using it as ground meat for chili or meatloaf a little sausage should be added to git it a little grease.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
In deer, elk, sheep and buffalo it's called chronic wasteing disease. I know it's in New Mexico and there was a meeting on it in New York last week. Sheep in Vermont have it, so I guess it's pretty wide spread.

Oh well, never planned to live forever... just planned to be another crazy old coot.

We all know the girls suffer from PMS. Some one told me they named it "PMS" because the name "Mad Cow" was already taken.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
You can only protect yourself so much. The buffalo we get is local and guaranteed, but I guess it is too late for a refund after the fact.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:39 AM   #6
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Is the guarantee on a buffalo as good as the one on a Montana????
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
After 50 years of life....
I gave up boozing.
I gave up smoking.
2 years ago I was diagnosed diabetic...
I gave up ice cream.
I gave up candy.
Being diabetic I gave up a lot of the foods I loved and enjoyed.

After giving up all that I'll be darned if I'll give up my steak or burger, fried chicken or buffalo wings (not the aforementioned type buffalo), pork chops or BBQ ribs and the list goes on.
I do try to somewhat watch my diet but I don't over do it. If I'm gonna go I'm gonna go happy.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
OK, you got me on that one
I meant it was guaranteed to be free of mad cow disease, etc.
We pretty much eat what we want. Someone told us to try buffalo, we did and like it very much. It tastes exactly like hamburger to me, especially on the grill, so I am not giving up anything.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I agree buffalo is.

The way I figure it, it take years for the prions to grow... by that time dementia will have set in any way so who'll notice.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Glenn I would go easy on all that meat. Too much protein will kill your kidneys, since you stated you now have diabetes. Good luck. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Nothing is Safe! ... hahaha
This was sent to me by a friend and will give you some "food for thought" along with your buffalo or beef burger:

Johns Hopkins University has recently sent this out in their newsletter and it is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center:

Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer. Especially breast cancer. Don't freeze plastic water bottles with water in them as this also releases dioxin from the plastic. Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle hospital was on a TV program explaining this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the hospital.) He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said we should not heat our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This applies particularly to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies. Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, without the dioxin.

So such things as TV dinners, instant Ramin and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad (yet), but you don't know what is in the paper. Just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

Remember when some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper? The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

To add to this: Plastic wrap placed over foods as they are nuked, with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food. Even though paper products are questionable, use paper towels to cover food while microwaving.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Okay, okay...... I cannot tell a lie.

The above post is an "Urban Legend" and has absolutely no truth to it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:45 AM   #13
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Found out yesterday they now feed animals road salt Traditonal sources of calcium in animal feed have been oyster shell or crushed lime stone (carbonates). Guess what... it foams when they add acidic components to the feed (scared to ask what they are) so they find that calcium chloride (road salt) mixes better.

So... for your lunch to use the calcium to build bone it must break down the molecule (CaCl) which liberates free Cl... so being very biologically active...where does the chlorine molicule go?

Think I'm gonna put that one to the local animal sciences people.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #14
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
From an urban myths site:

Is there really something to the central claim of this e-mail, that heating plastic in microwaves releases a cancer-causing agent into the food? It's within the realm of possibility, but it must be stressed the FDA does impose stringent regulations on plastics meant for microwaving. Also, if there are dioxins lurking in the plastic containers we heat food in and the process of warming those receptacles looses those nasties into our ingestibles, we've yet to locate the studies that prove this. However, because most dioxins are dangerous compounds we want to have as little to do with as possible, many people are cautious about using anything associated with them. So, if you're one of the concerned, be sure that when you cover a dish you intend to microwave with ordinary plastic wrap you do not let the covering touch the food, because some of the plasticizer in the wrap — which may contain toxic chemicals, as opposed to does contain toxic chemicals — could migrate to what you're cooking, especially foods high in fat. Alternatively, use waxed paper for this purpose. Those who are very, very cautious about the potential for dioxin contamination might choose to adopt the central point of the e-mail's advice, which is to decant all items into glass or ceramic containers before microwaving.

But how real is this concern? According to Dr. George Pauli, a leading Food and Drug Administration scientist, not very. He acknowledged that some plasticizers do migrate into foods, particularly those containing a lot of fat, oil, or sugars. But research has found no ill effects from consumption of plasticizers in FDA-approved plastic wraps or from freezing or re-using plastic water bottles. Even so, others remain unconvinced, and those on both sides of the issue recommend not letting plastic wrap touch food during microwaving.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
And all this time we thought the cows were mad because someone fenced them in.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:06 PM   #16
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Mad Cow Disease has really upset the horse world. Hundreds/Thousands of horses are being stolen and are appearing on European/Asia dinner plates because of Mad Cow Disease.

Heres a link to a recent incident, but WARNING!!!! it is not for the everyone's eyes!!! I pray every night for my four legged friends who I have come to love as my pets!!!

Sorry, I know its really off course, just had to share
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/...rses_late.html

The persons responsible denied their intended use.

http://www.newsnet5.com/News/1466142/detail.html
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:45 AM   #17
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I don't think it's mad cow disease. Out west we lived in an area where they run PMU barns. For those of you who are not into agriculture...PMU means Pregnant Mare Urine ... it's what gives birth control pills their distintive flavoer (estrogen from urine)...

Pregnant mares = foals ... lots of them, every year. They go to feed lots. The products from the feed lots go straight to Europe. Same way cows go to Winn Dixie....

Old 10-02-2004, 06:39 AM   #18
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Did anybody ever figure out what the cow was mad at?
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote