Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
ProblemReading the Propane Regulator

We have had our new 3400 for a week and ran out of propane in 5 cold days. Our regulator has an arrow with a green dot and under that is a red dot. At the tail of the arrow is a red dot. In the middle is a window that appears to change from red to orange. I was under the impression that when the first tank was empty that the second tank would start flowing AND that the arrow would flip and point to the second tank. Arrow doesn't appear to move but second tank was drained, causing a very cold night. Can someone explain, how I know when the second tank has started flowing? I don't want to run out again. Thanks, as always, Nick

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Unless Keystone has changed the regulator to a new type, I believe the arrow you are talking about is really only a lever (valve).

They can be a little confusing. The regulator will draw gas from whichever tank the lever is pointing to, unless that tank is empty, then it will draw from the alternate tank regardless of which way the lever is pointing. That is the automatic feature. The red green indicator simply shows the status of the tank the lever is pointing to; red - empty, green - not empty

The sequence with two full tanks;
  • Simply pick a tank to draw gas from and rotate the lever to that tank (doesn't matter which side). The indicator will be green.
  • When the first tank runs empty, then the regulator will automatically draw gas from the alternate tank and the indicator will show red.
  • When you notice the red indicator, then you flip the lever to the full tank and the indicator will return to green.
  • Then close the empty tank valve and remove it for refilling.
  • When the tank has been refilled, then reinstall the tank and open the valve. You do not change the lever, rather you just let the other tank drain then the regulator will draw from the new tank you just installed, and the whole process starts over.
Simple, eh! The good thing is that the system will theoritically never let you run out of propane if you continue to monitor the indicator and fill the empty tank as soon as the indicator turns red. You always have to remember to flip the lever to the full tank when removing an empty one. The other good thing is there is nothing you can do that will hurt anything, rather if you do it wrong you just run out of propane without noticing it.

Have fun!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If your is the same as ours, the pointer points to the tank you are running out of. The green should be showing on the running tank. when the first tank is empty,will switch to red and over to second tank. you need to move pointer to full tank then,it will turn green again and then you know you are running out of your second tank.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Ours works like Racerjoe's. We made the mistake once to leave the lever in the middle and ran out because it uses one tank and, then that one empties, it changes to the other. Now we point it to the tank line we want to use and, when that one empties, we change the valve to the other line and refill the first tank.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our works as described by bsmeaton, Your sounds like it might be a bit different, but the same principles should still apply. If not, maybe someone with a newer model will come along to explain further. (or call your dealer). If your furnace is running quite often during the night, you should be checking the regulator every day to make sure that you don't run out at night. An electric heater can be used to supplement the propane heat if you access to power.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I leave on tank turned off. When the tank I'm on runs out I sure know it's time to turn the other one on. It also reminds me that I need to fill the one that ran out, or else! (DW's or else)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I leave on tank turned off. When the tank I'm on runs out I sure know it's time to turn the other one on. It also reminds me that I need to fill the one that ran out, or else! (DW's or else)
Automation isn't for everybody.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours also works as does Brad's. And the others. We leave both tanks open and just watch for when the first tank is empty.

One point of possible confusion -- Maybe I'm the only guy who ever had this confusion but early on I was confused about that lever, the "arrow." It had been described to me as an arrow. Thus, to me, the lever was the tail and therefore the end attached to the regulator must be the head of the arrow. Thus the arrow "pointed" towards the head of the arrow. That is incorrect. The "arrow" is the lever and it points away from the regulator, not towards it. The furthest end of the lever is what points towards the hose for the tank the green/red indicator refers to. I hope I didn't just add confusion. I didn't say this very well.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Brad,
You are correcto about the automation.. When the heater didn't produce heat, I just had to turn the other valve on. Took all of 1 minute at most. DW and guests were extremely happy to have the heat on. If I had used the automation, I would have been completely out of propane and they would have been really upset with me. It was a Sunday!!!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. One tank at a time.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Also, after you fill the empty tank, open the value very slowly. You may be able to hear the value open.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you observe the regulator flags, you should never run out of propane. The only time you will is if you haven't checked the valve flag indicator and allowed bot tanks to empty. Whew! I can't believe the numbers of full time RVers that we meet who get up in the middle of the night (2:00 am) and go outside and turn on their second tank, merely to avoid running totally out of propane. To my way of thinking, if I have to go out and switch the tank manually, then I've run out of propane, though it be temporary. Take the time to observe your valve flags and avoid running out of propane.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Welcome back Orv. How did things go?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109

One of these will keep you alert about the status of the changeover valve. It flashes amber whenever the changeover indicator is red. Made by Marshal Brass, Simple install, $35.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the same thing Brad does. It sure is nice not having to remember to check the regulator, especially in adverse weather.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #15
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey Brad, what is that LP gas monitor device called?

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #16
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Try reading that stock guage and being red/green color blind. I will be changing to a dial indicator or monitor system shortly. Tony-n-Lee bought a digital monitor sys from QVC a few years back and as soon as I can find out who made it I'll post it here....Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is a link for the indicator lighted one: Click
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #18
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
From April 08 issue of Highways magazine, page 30:
Editing the article start - Both tanks full and open, selection lever pointing to left cylinder. Red/green indicator is green. Stove burner lit to verify gas supply. End edit.

Here's where the meat of the test starts. We had him close the left cylinder valve, which simulates running out of gas in this cylinder. The indicator turned red. He then looked at the burner flame; it was still burning, which indicates that the regulator had switched to the right cylinder automatically. We then had Rich switch the lever to designate the right cylinder, which made the indicator go green. While these regulators are described as "automatic", the owner still has to physically move the lever to the designated cylinder to make the indicator go green again. Once that indicator is green , it's OK to remove the empty cylinder and have it refilled.
We then asked him to open the left cylinder valve and close the right cylinder valve, repeating the previous test, only switching cylinders. He experienced the same results and proper function.
After the tests, we had Rich open the stove burner while the cylinder valves were closed, bleeding off the propane and causing the indicator on the regulator to turn red. Rich carefully opened the service valve on the designated cylinder to slowly introduce enough gas to;make the indicator go half green (you really have to be quick enough to do this). We wanted to show him that the red/green indicator is actually a pressure guage and that it could also be used to perform a pressure-drop leak test - because there was enough pressure in the system to make the indicator show some green. As long as the system does not have a leak, it will continue to show green. If the red/green indicator does not drop to red after a few minutes, that indicates there is no substantial leak (theoretically nothing is absolutely leak free, and standard for this test is a minimum of three minutes).
Then we asked Rich to open the stove burner for a few seconds to simulate a leak, and, sure enough, the indicator turned red.
These tests showed that gas did flow from each cylinder and the automatic-switchover regulator functioned as expected. The propane piping system also passed our leak test.
Many, if not most RVers don't actually know how to use the automatic-switchover regulator to its maximum benefit. These regulators allow the owner to leak-test the system, provide continuous appliance service after the designated cylinder runs out of gas (as long as both cylinder valves are left open), and the system actually functions as a fuel-level guage because it shows you when to refill the empty cylinder. END OF ARTICLE.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's really interesting about the pressure test, Illapah. Thanks.