Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
generators

We have a 3400 ordered that should be here by 1 September or earlier. We are going to live in it full time while we build our next (downsized)home, and travel on weekends/holidays. The park that we will be staying in has been known to have occasional power outages, so I am contemplating buying a generator to supply power under those circumstances. I want to at least be able to run one (preferably both) A/C. How large of a single generator is needed to run the entire coach? Will one that large be too loud? How about two smaller units hooked in parallel? Any advice would be welcome.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
We have a 3400 and had an Onan 5500 Marquis installed about six months after purchasing the trailer. It does run both air conditioners as well as anything else we plug in. It supplies 50 amps, 20 amps on one leg and 30 on the other. Just make sure you have the loads distributed evenly. Ours wasn't and I swapped some loads around. We got the propane model and with the price of gas/diesel I think it was a good move. Very clean running. It is very quiet in my opinion compared to others I have heard.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We also have the Onan 5500 propane model and it does really run anything that we need. When we were at the Colorado River last May it was 120 outside and we had both A/C's running as well as the TV, computer, and anything else that we had plugged in. Like the coffee maker, night lights, radio, clock radio etc. Again, it is the best we have ever had. We had it installed at the factory when we ordered our 3400. We have been very pleased with it. It is all what you plan to do, and it sounds like you would use it.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I carry a honda ex 5500 behind the cab and it too does the trick but it's a hand full to load and runs on gas works for me but the built in model here on this post is the better choice I belive I already had my Gen so I just went with it but next time will be different being truly self contained is a very good way to go
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote