Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Finally Here ! ! !

I finally took delivery of my Mountaineer 344 RET yesterday afternoon. I am very proud of my new rig, my wife and son just cannot quit talking about it and asking when we will take it out! I was worried about the truck handling it, but the truck performed perfectly on the trip home. This trailer pulls extremely well, and other than the pouring rain for 2 1/2 hours, the trip home was great. The only disappointment was that I had ordered the unit with a 2nd AC in the bedroom and it hadn't been installed. The dealer did not have a low profile unit like I had ordered in stock was very apologetic, so after I talked with the service techs about how it is installed, I agreed to have him ship the low profile AC to my house and I will install it myself, it didn't seem like an overly complicated job. Oh yeah, the first thing I checked when I walked inside was the rechargeable flashlight . . . and it works!! I went ahead and picked up a tripod kingpin stand and a pair of the BAL wheel chocks while I was there. Here is a picture:

bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations! That's a good looking combination you have. We were impressed with the Mountaineer 5th wheels we saw at an RV show this spring. May you enjoy many miles of safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
CONGRATS!!!! That's one beautiful lookin rig.

The pic has been added to the Owners Rigs page
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Very, very nice indeed! Enjoy!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Congratulations! That's a great looking unit. You'll all have a lot of fun in it.
The road does look a little shinny in your picture, you'll have to find some sunshine.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Woo Hoo!

Congrats, Bryan and Amanda!

Your truck looks like it doesn't even feel the trailer! Plus, it's just the right color to go with the new rig.

About your second A/C...I always wondered how I'd cope with installing a second A/C on this Monty. We're pre-wired for it too, so that would be no problem. What worried me was how to get the unit, (around 100-plus-or-minus pounds,) up and onto the roof without having to get it up a ladder. I'm gonna take a guess that you have some sort of hoist, or maybe a loft of some sort to use for getting it into place?

It's been sweltering down here, (near 100 in SE Alabama,) and we're gradually getting used to coping with about 85 degrees in the Monty by the time it starts "cooling off" outside in the evenings. But I'd love for it to stay as cool as a second A/C would afford us, all day long.

CW would charge way too much for the unit, (compared to on-line prices I've seen,) plus the installation is a C-Note.

On the other hand, we just purchased a 5.0 Cubic Foot upright freezer...My wife says my HEAD should just about fit.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Thanks to all for the compliments, I wish it had been a sunny day rather than the overcast and rain when I took the picture, but it is still a beautiful rig to me.

Gyro, when I install mine, I am going to hang a pulley from the peak of my parking shed and use the winch cable mounted on my ATV to make the lift. The dealership tech told me that it was no big chore for the install, just remove the bedroom skylight and the air conditioner fits right in. Connect the wiring, be sure the seals are in place and tighten the hardware was pretty much it. When it arrives and I do the install, I may take some pics as I go and post them for anyone else who has been considering adding an AC. Might even post the pics and some instructions in the show and tell page.

Has anyone else here done this themselves that may have some hints / pointers?

Bryan
Old 06-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bryan,

Thanks!

I thought you must have had a plan.

I'm going to have to get mine installed, I figure. Don't have anyone around to set up a deal like that with us fulltiming and all.

Heck. I didn't even have that set-up around in Fairbanks, when we HAD a brick & stick home!

Probably one reason why I can get away with procrastinating on so much stuff.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was 92 today in Northern Ohio.Helen is working the 11pm to 7am shift all week so she has moved out to the camper so I wont' bother her banging around the house while she is sleeping. We do have the 2nd A/C but have been only running the main A/C.It was 92 outside and a steady 75 (set point) in the Camper. I Found out how to work the CCC. It involved reading the instruction manual, amazing the stuff they put in there..guess that is why it is called a "instruction manual" It works as advertised. Also found out last night while watching a DVD movie that the sofa is about as comfortable as a park bench.Helen knew that and has a plan.will take the seat cushions to a local upholstery shop and have the concrete slab that is in them removed and a more comfortable material inserted. You will like the 2nd A/c with it on it was way to cool in the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Bryan-
You're gonna love the new toy, know that you can't wait to take it out somewhere. When I read you were going to install the second A/C, there was no doubt about how you would get it up there. Having the cover for the trailer does have it's advantages. Enjoy!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Bryan,
Nice rig congrats. I installed my 2nd AC myself. What I did though was move the slides out and take ladder out beside it and lift the AC up onto the slide, then went on top to the slide and lifted it into place, not a hard job. I also lyed the cardboard from the AC on top of the slide to set it up on once I carried it up the ladder, not really that heavy easy to a=carry up the ladder.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good lookin' rig! Congratulations!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 AM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Bryan,

Great looking unit, I'm sure everyone is proud and excited, as they should be.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your new coach! Hope it provides you many miles of happy smiles ahead...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Bryan,

Congrats on your new purchase it looks great behind your truck.

Hubby and I are still having the debate if we (I) need the second AC. We haven't been able to take our new Monty out yet so we will just have to wait and see. Ours is pre wired for the AC so I will be very interested in how easy it is for you to do it yourself.

Happy camping.... what a great Avatar of your family.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Congrats on the new "rolling condo". You guys are gonna love it! Looks Awesome.
Happy camping
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #17
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
We are in the middle of our first trip and are loving our portable home! The installation for the 2nd AC was a snap once I got it up on the roof, that part took a little ingenuity, using an ATV winch to lift it and then drive the unit up underneath it. The only problem so far was a little bit of a drip coming from the front AC, I opened it up to see what was wrong and there was some blockage in the condensation drain (dirt daubers - they can sure be aggravating!) Once it was cleared, I ran the unit for the whole day without problems. Thank goodness it wasn't leaking at the roof penetration!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:30 AM   #18
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Bryan & Amanda,
congrats on your new rig! It is beautiful! Glad to hear you had no problems installing the AC unit. Sounds like your a lot like my husband and are one of those handy/dandy handyman can do guys! We look forward to hearing about your future adventures.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #19
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
Beautiful condo! We know you're going to love it. Congratulations and happy trails!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob and Sheri

Beautiful condo! We know you're going to love it. Congratulations and happy trails!

Not to hi-jack this thread but, Bob and Sheri where have you 2 been?? Haven't seen any of your posts in ages.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote