Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Brakes grabbing

I searched and didn't find anything that seemed relevant to my problem. Over the last year or 2, often when i started moving on some days, the brakes would grab for a while. I figured out (I think) it was dirt or water on the brakes, as I would drive slowly with the controller slightly on and it seemed to clean off the brakes and everything was fine all day.
This started happening more often lately and today it seemed to happen even with the controller set at the lowest point. I could see them being weak, but what would cause them to intermittently grab? If there was a short, I assume they would be weak. And if they were adjusted wrong, it would seem it would be consistent.
Andy advice would be appreciated.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'd remove a couple of brake drums and see what's going on inside. Broken springs, adjuster popped off shoe, grease on shoes, badly worn shoes, or anything that catches your eye. If nothing shows up, if possible … borrow a friend's controller and see if the issue goes away. Check inside the Jbox behind your king pin for any wiring issue.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
For sure, pull a drum on each side if all are doing the grabbing. Dexter in th past few years has had more then their share of brake friction material coming loose from the steel part of the shoe. Also, rust which can form very quickly on the drum cab also cause intermittent grabbing. Grease and water will usually cause the opposite situation.

The 'ultimate' fix is a full disc brake mod though
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
if you are going to pull the hubs, it might be just as easy, if you have the ability, to just replace all 4 brakes. it actually is quite easy to do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dext...hrome&ie=UTF-8
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote