Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #41
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that by having them mount this way, you could slide the bottom of the stairs under the RV next to you in storage, and then just drop the top steps on the 2 bars and you are good to go! Not that it is a big concern, but now you will not have to deal with dirt and water etc., getting into your RV ? This needs to be an option with Montana when you order a new 5th wheel from them!

Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #42
JWSwick
Established Member

M.O.C. #18339
Smile OEM steps are perfect!!

We have OEM folding steps with our Monty and they work great! We have a 12" storage area next to our Yuma, AZ home and the solid steps would not allow us entrance to our rig... the fold ups work great we just leave the last step folded and easy peasy works great!! The folding steps are awesome for stability if you ask me!!
JWSwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #43
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
JWSwick, We all had folding steps on our Monty's, up until the 2018 models, which all came with the solid stair. I like my 2017 3820FK with folding steps too, but we are going to buy a 2019 at the end of this year, and would have been forced to buy the solid stair, until I got in touch with MORryde this morning. The quick disconnect still gives you the solid 500 pound rating on the stairs, but can be disconnected in seconds, and that way you could use it in tight RV storage lots.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #44
twall

M.O.C. #21085
Solid steps are a lot safer. In the spring of 2017 I had a 2012 Rockwood with folding steps. During a camping trip my wife was going down the steps when one of the rivets at at hinge point sheared off causing her to fall landing on her back, injuring her back and neck. She is not a heavy lady, I did not report to Keystone but everyone knows camper manufacturers take responsibility for nothing due to poor quality control and cheap material. I now have a Montana 3731FL and have no problem with solid steps easy to setup and adjust to terrain. I own my storage building and have no problem with the extra space required to open but do know they would be a pain in a public storage area
twall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #45
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I didn't know I had a problem until someone started making different steps...
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #46
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
OK, Dan and Brenda are correct. I have been in contact with MORryde, and they do have the same solid step, but it is a quick disconnect, so you can store it in the bed of your truck, or underneath in storage on the 5th wheel, and it deploys in seconds. They even show you how to measure and do the installation yourself, if you don't want your dealer to do it? See the attached PDF's
Almost always a workaround. Of course folks will say they are too heavy.....

Serious question though: Do the quick disconnect steps also fold? As in can you fold them into the camper when clearance is not an issue or do you always have to remove them completely for travel?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #47
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Steps

Where is the pic of what those “surface mount” moryde steps look like folded up or out of the way for travel? Do you disconnect them and put them in the basement or other spot? Or does it fold and lock in place for travel?

I have not been keeping up with all the posts on this thread so if I missed it I apologize in advance.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #48
Davoagallardo
Established Member

M.O.C. #20677
I had my morryde steps replace a month ago today they broke again
Davoagallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #49
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoagallardo View Post
I had my morryde steps replace a month ago today they broke again
Saw a set break last week. Uneven ground and the adjusters were evidently not set up at different heights. Lady caught herself with the handle on the side of the trailer. She was not hurt, just a light twist of 1 ankle.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #50
nsdtr3
Established Member

M.O.C. #22012
We had the same issue when storing our Keystone Montana 3720. Our solution was to use an adjustable cargo strap and lower the stairs util they were a few inches from the RV next to us and use the cargo strap to hold the stairs in place. Put the strap through the wooden handle inside the RV and wrap through the stairs so the stairs are held in position a few inches away from the RV next to us. We use a 6 ft folding ladder placed next to the door opening and climb up the stairs and step through the opening between the lowered stairs and the door frame. We are still able to open the bedroom slideout completely and the living room/kitchen slideouts about 3/4 of the way so we have access to everything in the RV. It works while and we wait for a different storage spot that would allow the stairs to lower without this workaround. If you want pictures let us know....Looking forward to our first long excursion to Bozeman MT....in a few weeks....Good Luck...
nsdtr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #51
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Mike and Debbie, Here are the pdf's attached again. You can zoom in on every pic and see how they are deployed. It stays solid in one piece. The engineer at MORryde likes my idea of pivoting in the middle of the solid step, and said he would talk to his team, but warned me that would take a bit of testing to make sure it can be put into production.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick_Connect_Step_Sell_Sheet_v5.pdf (1.03 MB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf Quick_Connect_Step_v10.pdf (844.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #52
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
quick disconnect!

I missed the quick disconnect feature...looks cool to me! Thanks!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #53
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Almost always a workaround. Of course folks will say they are too heavy.....

Serious question though: Do the quick disconnect steps also fold? As in can you fold them into the camper when clearance is not an issue or do you always have to remove them completely for travel?
James I can't be leave people think the steps are heave when they are attached to the 5er on pivot point but they do! Looking at the pic's the quick release ones they mount on the out side of the 5er and you have to stow them. They don't fold up into the door way. What a pain in the rear! I guess they mite get heave then.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #54
Davoagallardo
Established Member

M.O.C. #20677
My steps lift up through the door and stay there but the gas pumps are always failing
Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #55
wemiller53
Established Member

M.O.C. #16085
Exactly James!

Well said. The solid steps are an excellent alternate which I will be installing on my 3791RD The first time I saw them I knew the I would do the upgrade. If you don't like the option on your RV then just change it!
wemiller53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #56
wemiller53
Established Member

M.O.C. #16085
Well said mtlakejim. The solid steps are an excellent alternative which I will be installing on my 3791RD The first time I saw and used them I knew the I would do the upgrade. Folding stairs are, and always have been flimsy. Also, the solid stairs are much easier to use - going up and down. If there were a situation where it was too tight not to be able to drop the solid steps, I don't think we would stay there - camping or storing.
wemiller53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #57
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Solid Steps Vs Folding steps

When you pull into a rest area and you have to park with the curb on the passenger side or door side of the camper, can you put the steps down and get into the camper. It seems to me the steps wouldn't go far enough down to enable you to use them to get into the camper. Just asking.....
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #58
Davoagallardo
Established Member

M.O.C. #20677
Yes just extend legs but make sure the door can close
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #59
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
When you pull into a rest area and you have to park with the curb on the passenger side or door side of the camper, can you put the steps down and get into the camper. It seems to me the steps wouldn't go far enough down to enable you to use them to get into the camper. Just asking.....
Not an issue as long as the curb is not taller than 6 inches or so.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #60
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Folding steps vs solid steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
OK, Dan and Brenda are correct. I have been in contact with MORryde, and they do have the same solid step, but it is a quick disconnect, so you can store it in the bed of your truck, or underneath in storage on the 5th wheel, and it deploys in seconds. They even show you how to measure and do the installation yourself, if you don't want your dealer to do it? See the attached PDF's
When you pull into a rest area and you have to park against the curb on the door side of the camper, can you let the steps out far enough to let it lay in a position so that you can use them to get into the camper? Just asking....
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote