Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Breakfast Pot Luck Dishes

Many of us shy away from breakfast potlucks because of the cooking time needed--before breakfast. How about sharing your make ahead breakfast goodies like crock pot oatmeal, refrigerator french toast, hash brown casserole, egg pies, hot breads, etc. I hear there's going to be a pot luck breakfast one morning at the Goshen Rally--it's just a rumor mind you. But just in case, let's be ready!

Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Okay gals, here's one that's been a hit for me--and it's great for breakfast.

Crock Pot Rice Pudding

4 cups cooked rice (get it from the oriental delivery guy if you must)
2 cups skim milk --any milk will do
1 package cook n serve vanilla pudding - I use sugar free
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup diced dried fruits
1 tlbs vanilla
1 tlbs pumpkin or apple pie spice

Mix together the rice, nuts, and fruits. Spoon into prepared crock (pan spray or liner). Mix together pudding, vanilla, spices and milk. Pour over rice. Cover, heat on low 4 hours.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Well this one is really easy.

Raspberry white chocolate scoones

Go to Harry and David's and buy the raspberry scoone mix. Add white chocolate chips when mixing. It does require an oven for baking but can be keep warm by wrapping in a dish towel. Sounds way to simple but it is unbelievably good.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I get the distinct impression that moc'ers don't do breakfast! How about brunch recipes that can be done ahead and just warmed before serving?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
One of the places I get some great recipes from is the Bed & Breakfast Association. They have a website with all sorts of categories. Try the "Breakfast-Brunch" category. Here's the link:

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/Recipes.aspx

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Those that know me, know I am not a bad cook, just one who does 5 ingredients and 10 minutes or forget it!

Take a pre-prepared pie shell, deep dish prefered.

Bake a potato, microwaved is fine. After fully cooked, allow to cool, then chop into bite sized hunks.

Now some bacon bits, or other meat, like breakfast sausage, crumble and cook.

Shredded cheese,oooohhhh, bout 8 ounces, give or take, again, add what cha like.

Onion if ya like that, you could even add some green peppers chopped.

Eggs, depends on how much of the above stuff you are gonna pile into that pie crust, probably 6 to 8, prepare as if you were going to scramble, a little milk, mix em up.

Now, take, meat, potato, cheese and whatever else you are gonna toss in, put in large bowl with the egg mixture. Stir till all nicely mixed and then pour into pie crust.

Bake at 350 till done, you know, that knife comes out clean test, about 50 to 60 minutes, give or take.

This can be made ahead and re-warmed. This is one of those things that Al and I eat in the AM during our winter runs from Michigan cold to Texas warm. I prepare before we leave Michigan, store in frig, warm in the microwave in the AM, fast, filling, energy making, and gets us on the road in a hurry.

I am sure you could prepare the night before a pot luck and cook in the AM, take it right out of the oven to the meal.

We cut it into 8 servings.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
The website for the B & B's is great!

Anyone out there like oatmeal for breakfast? I have a crock pot recipe that's an overnighter so there's hot breakfast in the am--great for New Years Day breakfast or after a late night campfire. . .
Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Margie, The website for the B & B's is great!

Anyone out there like oatmeal for breakfast? I have a crock pot recipe that's an overnighter so there's hot breakfast in the am--great for New Years Day breakfast or after a late night campfire. . .

BTW Carol--I'm like that as well, if it takes longer to prepare than eat, it takes to much of my attention. Of course, if DH is in the kitchen helping then longer prep times are welcome.

Did you gals here the one about the lady whose egg timer was broke?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
OK Lisa, I would like the overnight oatmeal. We quite often in the winter have oatmeal every morning. This would make it so much easier. Hubby could also have his earlier, since he is the early riser... I am not going to bite on the joke as I think I know what the answer is.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
She pleaded with her hubby to make love to her just as she put the eggs in the boiling water. He happily complied and when they were done, the eggs were cooked to perfection. lol

Fruited Oatmeal

2 c FF (fat free) milk
1 T (Tlbs) honey
1 T tub margarine
1/4 t salt
1/2 t (or more) cinnamon or pie spice
1 c old fashioned oats
1 c chopped firm fruits (or 1/2 c dried & 1/4 cup more milk)
1/2 c chopped nuts
1 T brown sugar substitute (equal to 1/2 cup real)

GREASE your crock. Mix ingredients together, place in crock and cover. Cook on LOW 5-6 hours.

Note: I have found that shorter cooking times makes for a less dark product. However, even when dark it's delicious.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks Lisa. Bob loves raisins, but I would like to try with dried apricots. What fruits do you like best in it?
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Hey Lisa,

How thick is that oatmeal when it's done? Rich claims mine resembles wall-paper paste... and I respond with "well, at
least it's not runny-ing out of the bowl like soup!" To each their own. I add almond extract for a change in flavor..
a little ICBINB spray, some organic raisins and chopped Mac apples. Yummmmmmmm.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #13
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Hey Lisa,

How thick is that oatmeal when it's done?

Rich claims mine resembles wall-paper paste... and I respond with "well, at least it's not runny-ing out of the bowl like soup!" To each their own.

I add almond extract for a change in flavor..
a little ICBINB spray, some organic raisins and chopped Mac apples. Yummmmmmmm.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Anyone have a receipe for a great SOS? You know, the kind they make in the military.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Would that be with Ground Beef, Chipped Beef, or Spam?
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

For a different flavor, try putting a little bit(1/4 cup or less) of flavored coffee creamer on your oatmeal. *Yum*

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #17
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Raspberry-Cinnamon French Toast takes 10 min. to prepare. Bake 35 min.
Place 12 slices cubed cinnamon bread in 9 x 2 baking dish.
Combine 5 beaten eggs, 1 3/4 c. milk, 3/4 c brown sugar, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and pour over the cubed bread. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning remove from refrig about 30 min. before baking. Then drizzle 1/2 c slivered almnds and 1/4 c melted butter, 1/4 c. brown sugar over the top. Bake at 400 25 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 Cups fresh raspberries and bake 10 more minutes. Serves 6-8.
This is always a hit at our family campouts.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Well, the oatmeal is a little thick--it sticks to the spoon. We always add milk at the table anyway so it's never been an issue.

Any dried fruit works well. I've used the packaged dried bits, raisins, dried apricots, dried apples, dried mango, dried peaches, even dried pineapple. If you check your cookbooks you can find the appropriate spices to add to the oatmeal to make a wonderful breakfast. I like to add a few chopped nuts--even if the recipe doesn't call for them. A little protein never hurts!