Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Windy Moab, Utah

We blew in this afternoon with 50 MPH gusts for a tail wind. Good gas mileage. We are parked at Portal RV Park for a week. Hope to see a few arches and sights in the area. I told Glen I forgot something....either my motorcycle or my Jeep. Almost every RV has one or the other. It will be fun to go out and see them ride.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Judy ... ask how to get to Potato Salad Hill. There's usually someone out there trying to get up the hill in some form of rock climbing machine. And there's room for you to park and some rocks you can sit on and watch. We spent a couple of hours out there watching ...

Have a great time and don't forget to try the Moab Diner!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the tips, Vicka. I appreciate all the good hints that you guys have shared with us and we're really looking forward to all the activities in the area. Wish you were here!!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Judy,
Go and enjoy. Do the Ptoash Road (cuts off just north of the CO River bridge. Good petroglyphs (Indian Writings) and views. Pasta Jay's (Center and Main)has good Italian food. We left Moab, did Capital Reefs/Torrey and were headed to Bryce. BUT, forecast for tonight (Wed.) is 13F low!!! Headed to St. George, instead. Windy but warmer!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Chris, we were headed for Bryce in our original plans but the weather discouraged us. Even so, we got snow in Flagstaff but it melted quickly. Have fun!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Judy, We're enjoying St. George! Warm here!!! Will head to Zion this weekend. May have to do Bryce as day-trip as temps are cold there. 13F this morning. Bryce is lovely and not to be missed. Question is how and when. Have yet to meet a MOC member in a CG yet! We keep looking and asking.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We had a great day today hiking up to Delicate Arch. At least I think it was a great day. Tomorrow when we try to get out of bed, if we're not too stiff and sore, we'll declare it a great day. Truthfully it was awesome but apparently we looked out of place. Hiking down off the rocks some sweet young thing told us that we were the type that are an inspiration to her. What did she mean by that remark? Well, it became more clear when we met a group of four preteens who yelled to everyone....."elderly people!" They all moved out of our way! That's a first for us....being called 'elderly people'. We huffed and puffed a good bit but I didn't know we looked that out of place! But it was a wonderful hike and a beautiful view.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Sounds like a beautiful day to me!! Thanks for sharing your experience, David and I are laughing because we can relate.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Judy, You made my day. I can't stop laughing. I remember doing that hike a few years back when we were just young pups.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Helen, if you and Bill are 'young pups', well, that's encouraging to us, too! LOL!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:55 AM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

We had a great day today hiking up to Delicate Arch. At least I think it was a great day. Tomorrow when we try to get out of bed, if we're not too stiff and sore, we'll declare it a great day. Truthfully it was awesome but apparently we looked out of place. Hiking down off the rocks some sweet young thing told us that we were the type that are an inspiration to her. What did she mean by that remark? Well, it became more clear when we met a group of four preteens who yelled to everyone....."elderly people!" They all moved out of our way! That's a first for us....being called 'elderly people'. We huffed and puffed a good bit but I didn't know we looked that out of place! But it was a wonderful hike and a beautiful view.
Love it! At least we get a little more respect now that we are old f**ts!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The only thing wrong with being a pup Judy is that we age 7 years for every one in humans. That might put us in the "elderly" very quickly.

Helen
Old 04-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh, Helen, I think you've solved the mystery of why I fell so old sometimes. Tonight is one of those times. Glen and I took Greta on a nice stroll today..... we thought. I have learned from this experience that you cannot believe what you read in all the nice little pamphlets that they put out. The hiking information is all written by professional hikers who think a walk in the park is a 20 mile hike with a 700 ft. elevation increase and a means of repelling out of the canyon at the end. The hike we took today was into Negro Bill Canyon, two miles long. It was described as a great hike for "city slickers". Believe me, this was not Central Park. It was so rough that Greta was crying to go home on the way back!

If you do hike around Moab, be sure that you have sturdy, non-slip shoes, take lots of water and a walking stick. And enjoy the scenery.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Judy,
Laughed really hard re. young folks comments on the trail. We did Delicate last week. Neat walk/hike. We agree re. boots and walking sticks w/rubber tips?! We're stilled holed up in St. George where it is a bit warmer. Head for Zion Sunday, for a few days. Still want to do Bryce but night temps are still in the 20s! Then Page, AZ, Flagstaff/GC, Sedona etc. You??
Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are at Moab (looking for more gentle activities now that we've been legally declared 'elderly') until Wed. and then we're moving towards Colorado. We're looking for some sites/activities between here and Denver. Glen's niece is in Longmont so that is our specific destination.

Good point, Chris,about the rubber tip on the walking stick. We didn't know it but Glen's shoes didn't get the traction that my shoes did and he slipped several times. And these trails are not places where you want to slip. I am amazed and pleased that the powers that be have left the trails in their natural states but some of the narrow areas where we have walked are unbelievable. Even Greta hit a few rough places, slipped and was walking gingerly on one paw. But she loved the creek that we crossed about 6-8 times.

You'll love Flagstaff. It's quite spread out but is a good basecamp for Sedona and the Grand Canyon. If you have time take a look at the Museum of Northern Arizona. Great displays of Indian artifacts. I think it's north of the city. Have fun! Sounds like you have a great agenda.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi Guys, we were at Moab and the the Arches are awesome. We aren't hikers either. But it was a very nice place to see. It was really hot when we were there. However we liked Bryce Canyon better, we stayed there a week. And as you said Flagstaff is very nice, but go there in the summer time. Sedona was wonderful Monument valley, words can't tell you how beautiful it is.

If your going toward Denver make sure you have fuel, we were very tight on fuel in the Mountains and you are going to see some mountains. It will make that diesel hum. Good Luck and have fun. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the hint about fuel, Lindy. We are heading toward Denver and looking forward to the mountains. I can't imagine making any of these hikes in the summer. The weather is perfect now, in the 60s during the day. We just signed on to stay another week because there is so much to see and do.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We've been in Williams since Thursday. It's been windy. Took the Grand Canyon Railway to GC yesterday - it was pretty windy and cool, but we enjoyed the trip nonetheless. This morning we had snow flurries, but it didn't last long and we had a beautiful sunny day exploring Walnut Canyon, Wuptaki, Elden Pueblo and Sunset Crater. A note on fuel prices - here in Williams, diesel is high - $3.29, $3.49 - Afer we filled up and got to Flagstaff, we saw many stations with diesel below $3.00. Monday we are headed to St. George. Is 89 and Alt 85 a good way to go?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I am so glad to hear that you are staying another week Judy. I wanted to give you some wonderful ideas for Colorado but having already been there the first part of May and running into the most awful and also scary weather I thought I would keep my mouth shut. Colorado is so beautiful in a RV when the sun is out but when it snows it can be #%^&**

If the weather is great I suggest Mesa Verde. It is really nice and the trip from Darango to Montrose is super (if it is not snowing.) If it is, it is a nightmare. Silverton is a great stopover. (if it is not snowing.)

Vail is a really fun place but early May is the changeover from winter to summer season and a lot of places are closed. It is a lot of fun. (if it is not snowing.) The Royal Gorge is ??????. (if it is not snowing.)

Stay as long as you can in Southern Utah but be sure not to miss Colorado. (when it is not snowing.) RIN>

Helen
Old 04-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Helen. We're looking forward to the drive up to Longmont but probably won't have much time to explore Colorado until after our visit in Longmont. We'll look into your hints.

Karen, 89 is a good road. We took it for part of our trip north.