Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
springs

Anybody had problems with weak springs? I have my 3670RL on level concrete, and noticed one side is 1 1/2 inch lower than the other. Axles are level. I used a level and ruler to confirm this. Does the wife have too much heavy stuff on one side? dishes etc..or do I have weak springs? We are just starting fulltiming, and she has all the dishes from our stick kitchen. I have checked the tire pressure and all are 70lbs. Our unit has kitchen, all cabinets, refer fireplace TV computer stuff on one side. Other living room slide only has table, pull out couch/hideaway bed, and a few overhead cabinets.

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hi Roger,

You may be right on target about over loading one side. First, we put our china in the Monty. Later, we got rid of the china as being too heavy and went to acrylic wear, not the cheap stuff. It is lighter and less apt to break. Second, we loaded the storage over the dining table with the table dishes. Only cookware goes on the kitchen side.

Canned goods, which tend to be heavier, are stored in the skinny closet by the entry. This helps to balance the load left to right. Also we load books and manuals over the couch to balance the computer/TV weight. It doesn't take too many books to accomplish that task.

You might shift things around to see if it makes a difference. You may not want to pay for beefing up the springs unless it is necessary. We really enjoy our 3670 RL and look forward to get back in it when this assignment in Hong Kong ends.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen asked the question at the factory as to why, since all the heavy stuff was more on one side of the camper, Kitchen, etc, did they not have heaver springs on that side of the camper.Our previous TT was the same way with all the heavy stuff on one side and after a few years that was the spring that broke. They brushed off the question.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We had a weak spring. It manifest itself by wearing the tread off on the inside of the opposite tire--at least, that is what happened to us. It could be a load problem, so check that first. When you are satisfied with the load, measure the distances between the center of the eyes for each spring. Make sure that you have a level spot and that you have pulled it straight for a bit. If there is a weak spring, the measurements should tell you--one distance will be longer. We had all the springs replaced with heavier duty ones and everything seem fine although we are about three inches taller.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Montana Rog,
Be sure and check your shackles. One of them might be broken or worn. Normally the weight located on one side or the other of your rig will not make your rig sag. Good luck and please let us know what you discover.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I think the Watsons' have it dialed in exactly. She doesn't want to give up what she had in the stick house, and most of it is heavy..Cooking is her specialty, so we have lots of canned goods on that side also...anyway, I will try and get the unit on a scale this weekend, and see which side is heavier. Then we will have the battle right there at the scale ha ha..
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote