Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #21
sdetweil
Established Member

M.O.C. #13656
I changed from a 2012 Ford F350 dually, where I could just see the 5th wheel hitch thru the back window, to a 2018 Ford F350 dually, with the camera system. The high mounted camera for the bed and the bumper hitch camera both have zoom in too. So, once u get close, zoom in for last couple inches.

Didn't want a new truck, but accident forced the change. The cameras are an improvement

sdetweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #22
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
Try an iBall

I have an iBall camera. No wires needed. It uses a magnetic base to hold the camera in position where you place it, and a cigar lighter plugin in unit with the screen to show you what it sees.

My truck has an aluminum storage box on the front of the truck bed, so I screwed a small galvanized plate on it to hold the camera for the magnetic base to hold.

I also use it on the rear bumper of a truck without a rear camera to help hitching a bumper pull trailer.

iBall 5.8GHz Wireless Magnetic Trailer Hitch Rear View Camera LCD Monitor Fits Any Vehicle, Car or Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035WSQEC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ECSfCb0B5X653
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #23
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
camera to connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdowell77 View Post
I'm running an Anderson ball hitch with my 321MK High Country and have real problems lining it up with the hitch ball when I am by myself. Has anyone mounted a rear view camera on the back of their cab so they can see their hitch? Amazon has one that is highly reviewed and I think I can wire it to my rear courtesy lamp that can be turned on whenever I am either in park or reverse. What do you all think?

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D9TWSG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I had the same problem. I added a remote camera to my cargo light 12v. I have a 7" screen attached to my sun visor. I also put a white stripe on my hitch centers. Turn on my cargo lights and connect the monitor, watch and line up my white stripes. I can see when the handle pulls in to connect. Best thing I ever did. Wife wanted to get in between. Do not need her and do it all alone with no problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1097.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	2844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1098.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	2845   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1099.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1100.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	2847  
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #24
DJME

M.O.C. #21634
Bed camera

I just had a bed camera installed on my 2015 3500 by Chevy dealership . It is an OEM camera that mounts in brake light trim and integrates with your dash screen . It wasn't cheap but looks and works great !
DJME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
Ronbry
Established Member

M.O.C. #651
I use a Swift Hitch camera to hook up
My fifth wheel. It transmits s WiFi signal that you can receive on a iPhone with the cameras app. It has magnetic base and I mount it under the pin box pointed at the pin. Has a rechargeable battery also, kind of expensive though
Ronbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #26
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
I had the same problem when I changed to a rolling bed cover. I bought these alignment guides on Amazon and they work great. There’s only a small spot in the Anderson that will hold a magnet so I glued a washer on that will hold the magnet. I can now easily hitch by myself.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44603-M...itch+gu%20ides
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #27
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
no regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJME View Post
I just had a bed camera installed on my 2015 3500 by Chevy dealership . It is an OEM camera that mounts in brake light trim and integrates with your dash screen . It wasn't cheap but looks and works great !
I know you will never regret being able to see what is going on. Mine was a cheap fix to a nagging problem. Happy hitching
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #28
PaulS

M.O.C. #20982
Send a message via AIM to PaulS Send a message via MSN to PaulS Send a message via Yahoo to PaulS
I do about the same thing as sberlin. I got the ball on a stick from Harbor Freight to line up hook up my travel trailer, now with the 5th wheel and Andersen hitch I set the ball on a stick at a certain spot centered and in front of the hitch. I backup until the pin plate touches the stick and I know I am far enough back.

I am thinking of getting a camera and have been looking at WIFI HITCH CAMERA from Rear View Safety. The camera is battery with a magnetic base that connects to your phone. To me it seems the best location for the camera would be in the bed, looking up at the hitch so the portability of mag base camera makes sense to me.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...3112-wifi.html
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #29
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
As a Ball hitch user, I have also gotten a wireless magnet camera to place anywhere in the bed of the truck. Prior to the camera, I used a small aluminum post from an Alarm company sign and placed a red cap on top to see it above the bed in my rear view mirror, just after the mount. That way I know I'm lined up with about 5 inches to spare from center.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #30
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
X2 to the iball. My new Ford came with a good camera but I used the iball for years and it worked great. Only about $150 if I recall. Simple remedy.

I find it interesting that when a guy is just looking for a simple camera, so many want hime to buy a new truck.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #31
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Thank you beeje you said "I have a (hitch up stick that I made) that I hang from the pin box. I raise the front of the camper until the stick just dangles, remove it and then back up to the camper" I always have trouble with how high to jack up the Monty. I'm going to use your idea--hitch-up stick. We have a white line painted on the Monty pin box and place a magnetic (radio) antenna in front of truck hitch & line the 2 up. The hitch-up stick should help a lot.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #32
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
Check etrailer they have one that integrates with the truck cargo bed light and infotainment system. Been considering but haven't pulled the trigger.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote