Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Montana or Big Sky that is the question?

Well we are on way to deciding what to purchase. A 3400RL Montana or a 340RQL Big Sky, same floor plan, same body construction. So why is it that some choose BigSky over Montana. We have been able to look at the Montana but there is no Big Sky dealer even close to where we are. We thought we were dead set on a 3400RL but.....good thing women can change thier minds. Sure is nice to have this forum to bounce questions off of. Any imput would be great. Teresa and Dave

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Without discussing quality or workmanship issues involved with the two. It would depend, with us, on how we used the camper.We are long timers, that is we live in our camper 6 months out of the year or more.In my opinion the Big Sky has creature comfort items, such as the Large fridge, and better looking decor, that make a difference when you live in these things for long periods of time. We have the late 06 3400..however IF we were purchasing now we would go with the Big sky 340RQL.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Why not discuss "quality or workmanship issues involved with the two." These are very very important factors in spending extra bucks when unneeded and I think the kind of info that Teresa and Dave are asking for.

We just purchased the 3485SA this past January. Now granted the Big Sky does not, as yet, offer this floor plan, however, even if it had we could NOT justify the price difference. At MSRP the Big Sky is priced over $20,000 more than the same floor plan as the Montana. Yes, there is a large double door refrig/freezer. In nearly 4 years of full timing we have found the Monty's frig to be adequate but than again we don't not do a lot of cooking. They put a 32 inch TV in the Big Sky and in so doing made the desk smaller. A 32" TV is overkill as our 27" is large enough considering the size of these living areas in these rigs. The graphics on the outside of the Big Sky are multiple piece. Unless the graphics installer is perfect you will find some not so aligned edges and the splices are very noticeable. Not so on the Monty where the graphics are all one piece. Not sure on this but I was told the front compartments, behind the pin box, are all generator prepped in the Big Sky, not just wired for the generator. They have a partition in the middle dividing the compartment in half and due to this partition there is no longer a white wire shelf. I don't have nor desire a generator and if I did I could buy a couple Honda's for a lot less and still have my full compartment.
I did not see anymore "quality or workmanship" built into the Big Sky than what they already put into the Montys. In fact, looking at the graphics as an example, the quality is less in the Big Sky. The cob job in the front compartment is another point.
As far as a pretty, fancier decor well in my opinion our Monty is just as pretty, maybe not as "fancy" but who needs "fancy". Besides, to us, this is all "eye candy" or "bells and whistles". These "cosmetics" no way in the world justify the price difference. "Cosmetics" are not what is going to keep that Big Sky running down the hiway any longer than our lower priced Monty. "Quality and Workmanship" is the KEY to a long lasting relationship between the Full Timer and his/her Monty.

Rich commented, "creature comfort items, such as the Large fridge, and better looking decor, that make a difference when you live in these things for long periods of time." Believe me, we live in ours Full Time, 24/7/365 and have been doing so since Oct 20, 03. To me that's a LONG PERIOD of time and we couldn't be much happier than we are in our Monty and those so called creature comforts are pretty much meaningless.

Now before the Big Sky lovers get on my case, I do need to say this......
The above is "JUST MY OPINION" no more no less.
and in the end Teresa and Dave have the final word. I just hope I have been some help.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Bottom line, it comes down to how you want to spend YOUR money, it's your decision. Personally, I couldn't justify spending and extra $15000. or $20000. for the same floor plan with basicaly the same working components in it. It appears from this forum that Big Sky owners will be facing the same problems that us Montana owners do & problem units are obviously going to appear in both lines. While we have only spent two full weeks in our new 3400 we have not found one single problem that is cause for concern at this point and feel we have got a very good unit. If you are one of the unfortunate few that ends up buying a problem unit we just hope that Keystone AND your dealer steps up, solves those issues promptly and properly.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:56 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890

Dandt, you are the buyer and you will be the one paying for your unit. If you feel the Big Sky is worth the extra cash...........then it is, no question.
To say a higher line unit will be more pleasant to live in or will make the owners happier depends on the owners. All I can say is this choice has to be yours and your spouse's choice and the right choice can only be made by you. Having said that I will give you my opinion.
If Big Sky is really trying to be a real high end unit, then offer higher end appliances.
The LCD TV is a low end unit and a rig like this should have a Panasonic or a Sony. This makes me agree more with Glenn on this issue and I myself would not lay out another 20 grand for a Big Sky. I also pull wrenches for a living and if I pulled teeth instead, that 20 grand would be small change, so again it all depends on your own situation. All the best and good luck in your choice.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We were in exactly the same position as you, 2 months ago. We presently "destination camp" rather than full-time, although our decision included eventual "full-timing". We DO plan to cook and eat in our fifth wheel, therefore, that larger fridge, better/larger "residential" stove and microwave were important to us. We liked the change in the shower and the window in the toilet room, but they weren't decision breakers. We wanted the built in generator, so this wasn't an issue for us. We went and looked at the Big Sky several times and at the 3400 for several years (we were confirmed 3400 buyers until the Big Sky came out). Obviously, the final decision has to be what you are more comfortable in. When the Big Sky first came out, we planned to go with it because the axles were 7000 lb axles, but then the 3400 started using the 7000 lb axles, so again, that wasn't part of the decision. One thing we didn't like was losing the cabinets over the table area. After much discussion and a pros and cons list we decided the kitchen area was extremely important to us (which is why we like this floor plan in the first place). So basically we chose the "residential style appliances" and since we didn't pay MSRP it was worth the price difference to us. Good luck in your looking and your decision. Where are you located? Our closest Big Sky dealer was 2 1/2 hrs from us but we ended up with one in IN (we live in IL) about 4 hours away. Their closed bid price beat all the others hands down and we liked their prompt replies and they have been great to follow up with us as we await our Big Sky. Hopefully they will do a super PDI, so that our own PDI doesn't find anything needing repair. They also give you 2 nights free camping at their campground (within yards of the service center) so if there are any questions or problems they can get to it and fix it right away. Either way, 3400 or 340, they are great rigs, in our opinion. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
Teresa and Dave you are starting the right way get all the info you can. Now go find one and look closly and YOU will see the diff. It's worth a day to go look, if it's right for you, ya know what to do. Woman can allways change there mind but do take the time to LOOK. GOOD LUCK
let us know what you decide.
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

Well we are on way to deciding what to purchase. A 3400RL Montana or a 340RQL Big Sky, same floor plan, same body construction. So why is it that some choose BigSky over Montana. We have been able to look at the Montana but there is no Big Sky dealer even close to where we are. We thought we were dead set on a 3400RL but.....good thing women can change thier minds. Sure is nice to have this forum to bounce questions off of. Any imput would be great. Teresa and Dave
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

I forgot to mention that this is going to be used for full-timing. We are planning on selling the stick house and hitting the road.
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I was very surprised that the head room in the bedroom of the big sky. about three feet from the closet I have to duck. about 2 or 3 inches higher in the MONTY, and that has me wondering WHY... not a good feature for a 20,000 more unit. Just something to ponder. Then get what you are happy with.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
First, my Montana dealer handles all "Montanas"...Mountaineer, Montana and Big Sky.

There are enough things we do not like about the BS to say we'd stay with the 3400 even if buying now...as noted...the shorter head room and the loss of storage over the table. DW did not like the dark cabinets, she likes the lighter wood. Lots of standard items in the BS can be ordered on the Montana as options...gel coat, fancy TV, etc. I know they are not making as many BSs as Montanas in a day, but I can't envision any appreciable gain in quality, it's the same people in the same place doing the same job.

Bottom line is that there is not enough pluses to warrant an extra $15/20k.

However, since this is your money...you have to decide!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Don't know where this 15 to 20 grand comes from. I priced a Monty and Big Sky and paid 7 grand Canadian more for the Big Sky. It would be less in US dollars. I am definately happy I did get the Big Sky.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well it's quite simple. The MSRP on the BS 340RLQ was $82,400, as equipped, while the Monty 3400RL was $61,400 as equipped. Now with even my limited math that comes to OVER $20,000. Even the Monty salesman at Cullem Maxey, the Montana dealer, next door to 2 Rivers Campground here in Nashville had to agree that most of the price difference is in "eye candy". His comment was also that the quality and workmanship, with the exception of the poor BS graphics, are the same.

In my opinion, your dealer was probably more interested in dealing and selling one of his first Big Sky's than he was in selling another Montana. Or, if the Big Sky was sitting on his lot too long he had to move it out. These dealer's finance their inventory thru their financial institutions and any rig sitting for more than 30 days and the dealers overall cost starts to escalate due to interest rates on that loan.

BUT the most important thing is that YOU are happy with your new Big Sky and the price you paid. No matter what we say here, pro or con, it all comes down to how you feel about your deal and your new wheel estate.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Glenn we were at the same Montana dealership Cullem Maxey. And that is were we seen the 1st Big Sky. And was told the same thing but I don't remember which saleman we talk to. They had the Big Sky parked next to the 3400RL, so we got to look at both. But I will from now on keep my comments to myself. Its a touchy subject. I do recommend dandt see both coaches before making their decision. And then what ever they decide, will be a great choice. Good Luck... GBY.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I don't want to argue either Glenn, but who pays MSRP? The real world price diff was $7,000. And the dealer isn't even a Big Sky dealer. I compared the Montanas he had on the lot with what I could see on the internet of the Big Sky, comments here, and decided to order the Big Sky. Keystone then wanted my dealer to be a Big Sky dealer, which for some reason they do not want to be but Keystone went ahead and sold the unit anyway. From what I understand most of the Big Skys coming off the line are still pre-ordered so a lot of people are paying for the difference. Of course you are right, value is always in the eye of the beholder. That's why there is almost always more than one of everything.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #15
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Please everyone remember the purchase decision and what is important to someone is a personal one. There is no right or wrong. When someone feels they will in the future keep their thoughts to themselves then the thread is taking a bad and intimidating direction. Please express opinions as opinions and do not run down other peoples preferences.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:46 AM   #16
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
To weigh in on this topic, I think it gets down to personal choice and do you believe you are getting the extra bang for your buck. I felt we paid very little extra for the Big Sky, paying approximately 50K for the basic unit. And to get this price was a relatively painless process.........mainly paying attention and learning from others on this website. It seems like some dealers are willing to cut more off the MRSP on the Big Sky. Our old unit was a 96 and I figured this was probably the only unit we would ever buy so we purchased what we wanted. We compared the two units and I would have been happy with the 3400 as well. I think what swayed us was the 12 cu ft refrigerator/freezer, upgraded carpet, shower, no suicide step, the cherry cabinets rather than oak and window in the bathroom. There are things I would have liked to be done differently, but nothing is going to be perfect. And I have heard about some of the minor problems owners are having with their Big Sky, but I am optimistic when we get our Big Sky if it is not nearly perfect, it will be made that way. I have found both the salesman and Keystone/Montana/Big Sky moderately flexible in making changes to the rig. Example, I didn't like the vertical blinds on the back window and they agreed to use the same blinds as in rest of the unit. I think you'll get as many different ideas on this as you will buyers. Bottom line, if you like what you get and are happy with the price that is all that matters.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
They are both great units - you just have to weigh the features vs cost for your personal expected use.

To me, the Big Sky features would really be attractive to a full timer given the larger capacity of the appliances. They also have a more plush interior which can be nice if you spend a lot of time in it.

At the time of our purchase, we did not have the Big Sky option so I can't honestly say which one we would have gone with. I have a tendancy to be feature driven, and my DW is the practical partner. It would have been interesting to see who won out . As it is, we just added some of the features we liked on the Big Sky to our 3400 and we are happy clams.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #18
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
As with about 99% of everything discussed on this forum, it all comes down to personal choice. Go with whatever floats your boat!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have not yet seen the new Big Sky but we have seen the previous Big Sky. There were some definite upgrades that would be nice to have. But as someone else said, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Most of us get the best we can afford and also consider bang for the buck. If the buyer is pleased with the unit and the deal, well, it just doesn't get any better than that. The Big Sky was not available when we bought last year. Like Brad, I don't know if we'd have gone with it or not but we sure would have added it to our equation before making the decision.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I was all set to trade in for the new Big Sky. But, after looking at a few on dealer lots, I changed my mind. Between some of the QC issues, and the over inflated MSRP, I decided to look at "others".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote