Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
Retire 2022
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20065
LP versus Gasoline Generator

Buy two gas generators that could be stored in pre-wired compartment or just buy the LP generator and connect the wires? All of your comments about your experiences would greatly be appreciated. Thank you to all that reply!
Retire 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Two generators would be my choice. You will be going through a lot of propane with the onboard unit. But that would be my choice. Take the extra cash you save when you by the gas unit and put towards solar.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Never had one, but propane generators do not have a good reputation.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Propane on-board ones DO have a good reputation (Onan), but they also run through propane very quickly. Since we only need one every now and again, I've a gas 4k peak Harbor Freight one that's in our truck bed, not an inverter type and is a bit loud (not as bad as a contractor type though). It will run the AC and a fan or two overnight on one tank, and I don't have to find a place for propane right afterwards.

If you really want a quiet inverter type, you'll either have to go really large and too heavy to lift by yourself, or two ganged together. I used to have two Yamaha 2400is gennys and they were great, but running the two was too much hassle - and the two running at the same time were almost as loud as the single HF.

Don't ask me why Honda, Yamaha, Subaru, Champion and all the others can't make something 3.6k running, 4k peak and under 80 lbs without fuel!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
...Propane on-board ones DO have a good reputation (Onan)...
You are entitled to your opinion, but do some research.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but do some research.

I did a bit after reading your post, its seems like mixed reviews , like about everything when you start reading reviews. Like the old saying, he would complain if he was hung with a new rope.

Have not paid a lot of attention about the Onan LP as far as reputation, but as far as I can recall, you are the only one I have read on a forum that had anything negative to say about them.

Having had the same 5500LP for nearly 10 years now, its been flawless. Yes they like their propane if run for hours, but thats the nature of the beast. I admit I haven't run it periodically like I should , but it has had no effect on it.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
When we had our class C M/H it was a diesel, & came with a propane generator. The generator was very quiet, & for the most part trouble free. The only problem encountered with it was after about 20-25 hrs it would start but wouldn't take a load. I would remove the spark plug, which looked fine, check the gap, & wire brush it, still wouldn't take a load. Install a new plug, & it ran like new for another 20-25 hrs. The reason I stated that the M/H was a diesel is that I was told that the M/H came with a propane gen. because DOT states that you can't have three fuels carried on the same vehicle. How that relates to a P/U & 5th wheel I don't know. I do know that given the choice I would go with another propane gen.
John
Old 08-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
When I was researching my 5er purchase, I decided against the 5500 Onan propane generator because:
  1. Weight of the unit.
  2. The propane usage was quite high.
  3. Cost of the Onan.
  4. Lost storage space.

I use two non-CARB(Calif. Air Resources Board) Honda eu2000i generators, one is the Companian model, the other is not. They are less than 50 lbs each, and I keep them in the front storage bay where the Onan would go.

Most times I rotate usage between the two (to keep the run-time hours close to each other), running just one generator to charge the house batteries, watch the 120v television, etc..

Both paired together will run the A/C easily, plus other incidentals. I have run the microwave simultaneously, ...but you should shut off the A/C if you want to run the microwave, or other high wattage appliance for extended periods of time.

I built an extended run fuel tank set-up with a plastic 6 gallon marine gas tank, 2 extra eu2000i gas caps with custom fittings that I machined in place of the OEM venting system, 1/4" Tygon fuel-rated hose, and nylon quick disconnects for the fuel lines. With the generator's tanks full to aid the honda's fuel pump suction along with the siphoning effect, and the six gallons in the aux. tank, they will run for a very long time. I don't rightly recall the longest period of continuous run time, as I have only used the set-up twice, but it was easily way over 20 hours.

You can buy the set-up from somewhere on-line, but I just wanted to make it myself.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I have two Honda 2000's ( one a companion unit) in the bed of the truck with an extended run tank. I installed a second 50 amp inlet in the front of the RV and made a cord for the gennys. I can run one or both as needed.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
It all comes down to personal choice and how much you'll use it.
We had the Dual Honda setup with our Monty. Worked good but a real pain to dig them out, setup everything and chain them so they didn't walk away. Then when finished, had to let them cool before re-storing them for travel, Plus with a Diesel TV it required carrying Gas for them.
When we ordered our SOB we went with the On-board Onan 5.5 Propane unit. Yes it will burn through Propane, but if you compare it to the same Gas model it only uses just a little more propane than gas.
Now we don't Boondock much, but when we want power it's just a press of the button and we have power.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #11
TELECOOL
Established Member

M.O.C. #20130
Also you may want to check in to installing an Easy Start 364 soft start on each of your a/c units then you will be able to run two a/c units on a 30 amp campsite hookup plus if you need to run your generator it will help the generator operate at a lower start up load.This is not only better on your a/c units but also is better on the life of your generator.
I have (3) 13,500btu units on my 2017 3811MS and they are working great.Plus it about cuts the start up amps in half. I'm a air conditioning contractor been doing this business for over 30 years and this product works great.
TELECOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I have the best of two worlds. When I am hooked up ,and in an RV park of course no generator is needed. I have the 5500 LP, and where we stay in Montana we lose power at times, not for long ,maybe half a day at the most. We usually get by with no power, but occasionally we fire up the Onan. It's all I really run it. If I dry camp, then its my single Honda 2000 we use.

The Onan is an expensive in case I need it, but its pretty convenient . Its a hard choice between portable ,and onboard . If you are going to need the power a lot ,then its an easy choice , its two Honda 2000's.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If I remember right the 5500 Propane burns approx 1 gal/hour under full load, while the same model in Gasoline burns approx .9 gal/hour.
Granted Gas may be earier to find, you still have to carry gas cans with you. We don't use our Propane Genny that much so it's a good option for us.