Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Canadian perscriptions

This is a question for our Canadian friends. Does one need a written doctor's perscription to purchase drugs for things like blood pressure or thyroid supplements in Canada. I had intended to get a years supply while in Yuma, but we had to leave in a hurry due to an emergency in the Northwest. My perscriptions have run out and my doctor here requires 2 office visits and a bunch of blood tests before renewing them. Total costs will be $3-$400 and because he will not bill this as a "Wellness Examination", our insurance will not cover it. These perscriptions have not changed in 5 years. I would really rather not take them, but by now my body is probably dependent upon them to regulate itself. At the present time, we are a lot closer to Canada than Mexico. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
You will need a Prescription from a Doctor to get your drugs in Canada. I would also assume that without a letter from your US Doctor that a Doctor here would not want to write you a Prescription. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Dennis: check the url below. I get my prescriptions from this place by mail. When it comes time for refills, I fax them the RX. They'll have you fill out a medical form, a dr. there will evaluate it and write a Canadian RX. Been getting mine there for three years. Hope this helps.
http://www.canadadrugs.com/
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think like DiananColin, that if you walked in off the street to a regular pharmacy, they would want a prescription from a Canadian doctor. Internet pharmacies operate on the fringe of the law, but will supply you in the manner described by Bob.

Most health matters, including pharmacies, fall under Provincial jurisdiction, so regulations may vary a little from province to province. This may be the reason many of the internet pharmacies seem to operate out of Manitoba. (That said, I have no reason to think that the drugs supplied by internet pharmacies are in any way inferior).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
For over 2 years now I have been buying my 5 prescription drugs from Canada Drugs. Very happy. Get 90 days at a time for 210.00 Compared these drugs with Walmart Pharmacy and am saving 289.00 every 90 days.
One is generic (Zocor) Simvastatin made in Canada. And with that savings you get very polite and pleasant people to talk to. Check out
canadadrugs.com
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
desertgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #3292
If you sign up for the new Medicare D RX plan ( we did thru AARP). you will save more than
Canada prices. My husband takes 4 different prescriptioins a day and we use to get them in Mexico. I also checked Canada prices. With the new RX plan thru AARP we just ordered a 3 months supply and it is a lot cheaper-- even adding in the cost of the plan it is still cheaper with the new Medicare D plus we do not have to drive to Mexico ---
desertgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Don't know about the AARP Medicare D Plan, but there is no control over how often monthly membership will go and whether the Ins. Co. dedides to put that medicine in a 2nd tier which is more expensive. Yes, I did compare and would only save 23.00 yr. It just wasn't worth the hastle of dealing with an insurance company. The Pharmacy's wrote the bill to their own advantage. C-SPAN had a very lengthy discussion on this, this morning.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote