Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Carrier Comes Through After All

I loved the thing. Cooled great. Worked awesome with the ducted system. Had a remote control. But the compressor has bitten the dust inside of two years. After some research I found that the compressor being positioned sideways instead of vertically is problematic? Perhaps some HVAC members could comment? Anyway, now the task of getting Carrier to do anything about it has gotten old quickly! Left messages, no call back. Emails not returned. They offered a two year warranty on these units, but with them not making them anymore it may prove difficult to get help. I am getting zero help from my dealer as well, so no more business or referrals for them. Good luck if you own Carrier and have a problem! At least Good Year stepped right up and made their Marathons good when they went bad. Things like this Carrier situation really make you appreciate good service when you get it. I will replace the Carrier with a 15K Dometic most likely and connect it to the factory thermostat at zone 2. You have to order the electronic control kit for it to work right.

Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry for you problems with it. This is why I always recommend Dometic. They are sold and serviced everywhere, even a lightly-trained service person has worked on them, and probably has parts on hand for them.
On the compressor; could you expand on the compressor; positioned sideways? It would have to be vertical for the thing to work.
I would guess they use the same scroll compressor as every one else, maybe a different brand.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Maybe it's like the old York horizontal compressors nicknamed "The Watermelon" that were once fairly common----long time ago. Don't much think you could lay one of the scroll compressors down and expect it to run very long. Sorry to hear you are not getting a good response from Carrier.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Seems I remember reading in a PDF that the low profile Carriers wouldn't take over 1* slope. If I remember correctly, I checked the front of our unit, and it is about a 7-8* slope. I'm thinking oil circulation problems myself...merely my opinion.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Carrier low profile units can be 5 degrees nose high and up to 20 degrees nose low on the install. Dometics are similar with regular height units allowing a few more degrees to the high side. You can buy a wedge that goes inbetween the roof and AC to accomodate really sloped roofs. The compressor is horizontal ... dunno how it works, but it does. I have one ... only 7.5" high. I didn't like the regular Dometics like from the factory ... Montana looked like it had a "Derby Hat" sitting on the front of the roof.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
If I read the Carrier info correctly the horizontal mounted compressor in the low profile Carrier unit is a rotary compressor instead of the scroll. I could imagine that being off level by very much could cause some sort of lubrication problems or maybe liquid slugging problems, or a gathering of liquid ref or oil during a time of being idle for a time, in the pump end of the compressor, and it can't get to spinning to move the fluids out. Just sayin.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Carrier low profile units can be 5 degrees nose high and up to 20 degrees nose low on the install. Dometics are similar with regular height units allowing a few more degrees to the high side. You can buy a wedge that goes inbetween the roof and AC to accomodate really sloped roofs. The compressor is horizontal ... dunno how it works, but it does. I have one ... only 7.5" high. I didn't like the regular Dometics like from the factory ... Montana looked like it had a "Derby Hat" sitting on the front of the roof.
I stand corrected. Looks like the old rememberer is fading. Looks like the full size unit is the one you can't drop on the front. Here it is.

I think I would stay away from wedges myself...just more chance for leaks. JMHO
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
So it is best to go with the regular profile units and stay away from the rotary compressors? That is what I read on some troubleshooting sites as well.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just wonderin ... aren't automotive AC compressors rotary????
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I stand corrected. Looks like the old rememberer is fading. Looks like the full size unit is the one you can't drop on the front. Here it is.

I think I would stay away from wedges myself...just more chance for leaks. JMHO
The link Willie posted shows the regular unit has a scroll and the low profile unit also has a scroll, I relly don't know how a scroll works on it's side, new one for me... I would stay away from it if it were me, maybe that is why they stopped making them?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Ozz, what do you know about the Dometic Penquin? I like the low profile, but I am concerned after the Carrier did not last.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't no nuttin' about it, I would look about their track record and research complaints on it.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We've got the Dometic Penguin up front. In fact, it is running right now. We run it every night just for sleep noise.

It was installed by our dealer in the summer of 07. I had the blower motor replaced last summer when the old one failed to start up one time. I would blame that on our location tho, sitting right on Redfish Bay in Aransas Pass, TX. Other than that, it has performed flawlessly. We have the non-ducted unit.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My suggestion to everyone that plans to add a unit, get the 15k BTU, it is not that much more money, fits in the same hole. It is nice having 30,000 BTU's of cooling when we have summer heat like this year.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
To add to what Ozz stated it is also nice to have the 15K in case your main unit fails it will do a better job of cooling your complete unit then the 12K will do.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Well I spoke too soon. Carrier comes through! They are replacing the failed unit. Since they do not make the Air V any longer I assume it will be a re-manufactured unit although I am not sure yet. I am just glad I don't have to go buy another unit! It took them over a week to respond, but the response was a good one.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I had the Carrier 15,000 installed. It had the lowest added height, and I had only inches to spare in my storage shed. I am also glad to be well under 13' in terms of highway clearance.

The unit has served us well up to this point. We used it quite a bit on our recent trip, mostly to 'cool down' the trailer after traveling on a hot and humid day. We do not use it while we sleep, but that is a choice because the main unit is quieter and handles the cooling well at night.

I decided upon the 15,000 for the reasons cited above.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Carrier sent me a replacement 15,000 BTU low profile unit. I put it in, and it runs great. I really hope it lasts. Not only because I do not want to buy another unit, but because I love the low height and the ceiling unit (remote control). I have been the only member that has posted problems with a Carrier unit that I have seen, so hopefully it was a rare thing it failed. If this one goes I will replace it with a Dometic Penquin 15,000 with the built in electronics for the factory thermostat.