Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Front cap what should my first step be?

Bought a new 2011 324RLQ that we had ordered back on June 14th and took delivery Sept 11th of 2010. Never had it out untill November when we left for Florida for the winter. The other day I decided to give it its 1st wax job before heading back north only to make me sick at what I found doing the front cap. Just left of the Mountaineer decal is a area about 4" (oblong)in diameter that appears has been repaired and does not match. The outline looks as like it continues under the Mountaineer decal. Then on the right side just below the decal is another area almost a pefect circle that looks like it was repaired (can even see grind marks). Then just below were the cap rounds off on the right side is a indintation about 6" high and 18" long.

So who sould I contact 1st Dealer or Keystone

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
What a bummer, I know it would make me sick too.

I would take lots of pictures of it and contact both your dealer and Keystone.

Sounds like it was damaged as it was being transported from the factory to the dealership.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
I think it was done and repaired at the factory since part of the big one looks like it is under the decal and do not think the dealer would even have had enough time from date of mfg to our picking up the unit.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'd contact the dealership first. If they don't want to take charge they'll certainly send you to Keystone. You might still have to go through the dealer.

Good luck not getting blamed for this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jliveit,
Get it back into the dealership ASAP. Take a lot of pictures. Have them fix it to like new condition. There's no excuse for less than a satisfactory product. From your description it is obvious that something happened to the front cap. Get it replaced and or repaired to YOUR satisfaction. Good luck and keep us informed. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
At some point you are going to be dealing with Keystone but giving your dealer first crack is sound advice. Check Ohio's lemon law and how it deals with fraudulent sales (new vs damaged). Have your lawyer on speed dial, your cost of ownership makes this a big deal.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
My guess is the dealer is going to say they know nothing. I would start with Keystone customer service, if you feel that's were it was done. Have the timeline of delivery and pickup ready. This way you can confirm when it was shipped and when dealer took delivery. Maybe it got fixed on the way to the dealer, again keystone would have to give the ok to do the work. Bottom line it's a coverup by keystone. Dealer would have got in touch with keystone and delivery service would have contacted keystone for any repair.

good luck , kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
Hello, I have a 2010 326 Mountaineer that had a crack across the top of the front cap where it meets the roof. My dealer repaired it under warranty and it looks great. I also had a problem with the back wall where the 50 amp electric plugs in. It had been repaired at the factory before I got it and looked terrible. My dealer said it needed a new rear wall because they couldn't repair over an area that was already repaired before. I got a new wall installed and it looks better then what the factory did as far as the trim and caulking.I purchased my Mountaineer from Beckleys Camping Center in Thurmont Maryland and am very happy with them.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jliveit

Bought a new 2011 324RLQ that we had ordered back on June 14th and took delivery Sept 11th of 2010. Never had it out untill November when we left for Florida for the winter. The other day I decided to give it its 1st wax job before heading back north only to make me sick at what I found doing the front cap. Just left of the Mountaineer decal is a area about 4" (oblong)in diameter that appears has been repaired and does not match. The outline looks as like it continues under the Mountaineer decal. Then on the right side just below the decal is another area almost a pefect circle that looks like it was repaired (can even see grind marks). Then just below were the cap rounds off on the right side is a indintation about 6" high and 18" long.

So who sould I contact 1st Dealer or Keystone
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I know there is a law in place here in Canada that the dealer must disclose if any repairs were done to the new vehicle prior to delivery. I bought a new diesel truck some years ago where the Auto compound people ruined the starter trying to start it before the glow plugs were ready. The dealer informed me that they replaced the starter and gave me the option not take the truck. Had they not told me I would never have known.

I found this tidbit in the NY State Consumer protection Board's website. I would think same would apply to a new RV.

Damage to a New Motor Vehicle at Purchase
•N.Y. General Business Law § 396-p
Retail dealers must give consumers, prior to the sale and delivery of a new motor vehicle, written notice of any repairs of physical damage to the vehicle. Damage must be a retail value of more than 5% of the lesser of the manufacturer's or distributor's suggested retail price, the repair of which was performed after the vehicle's shipment from the manufacturer to the dealer, including damage while in transit. Examples of when this notification would be necessary include advising the consumer that the vehicle served as a demo vehicle, or was in a flood. This notice requirement does not apply to identical replacement of stolen or damaged parts.

Upon receiving notice, the consumer is entitled to cancel his or her order and receive a full refund of his or her deposit. However, if the dealer has failed to provide notice, the consumer has four months after the date of purchase to cancel. In this case, the consumer is entitled to a refund of the purchase price, any trade-in allowance, and all fees and charges. If the vehicle has been driven more than 1,000 miles, a small deduction is made from the full refund, based on a specified formula.

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I would take it back to the dealer. Ask if he repaired it and then if he says no then he must have rec'd it as is. At any rate I think he would be responsible, particuladry if he accepte the trailer in that condition. If he knew about the damage and did not indicate it to you then his repatation would certainly be questionable.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
While waxing our 2010 3150RL this past summer I found a spot on the drivers side of our trailer about 3 feet above the utility doors on the side of the trailer. I called the Customer Service 800# and they are going to have a look at the spot whyen we are at the factory in July getting some warranty work done (yellow stains on the ceiling and a few other things). It appears someone repaired a 2 inch square area with new filon and polished the spot. In the sunlight the spot stands out. The area is high enough that I don't think there was any transportation damage. I can only assume the sheet of Filon had a defect in it and the factory repaired it, but the spot is noticeable in the sunlight.

I suggest you call Keystone Customer Service and report the issue ASAP.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
[quote]Originally posted by dpam

While waxing our 2010 3150RL this past summer I found a spot on the drivers side of our trailer about 3 feet above the utility doors on the side of the trailer. I called the Customer Service 800# and they are going to have a look at the spot whyen we are at the factory in July getting some warranty work done (yellow stains on the ceiling and a few other things). It appears someone repaired a 2 inch square area with new filon and polished the spot. In the sunlight the spot stands out. The area is high enough that I don't think there was any transportation damage. I can only assume the sheet of Filon had a defect in it and the factory repaired it, but the spot is noticeable in the sunlight.

I suggest you call Keystone Customer Service and report the issue ASAP.

That is just how I found my problems, areas can not really be seen very easy unless Im on a step latter because it is up so high or in the right light. Going to do some calling in the morning would prefer to go right to factory if I can and dealer is about same distance as my dealer. Can you make arrangements with factory for warrenty work or do you have to go through dealer first?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I have a couple of warranty issues that I took to a dealer and they were not able to do anything about them. So, I called Keystone Customer Service and told them I was disappointed in the dealer and did not have the ability to take our monty to another dealer that is close. I told them we were going to a family wedding in Central Canada and will be driving through Indiana in July and wanted to bring the warranty issues to the factory in Goshen for repair. Customer Service set up an appointment with the Factory Service Centre in July, so I hope they will be able to repair all the warranty issues we have. Even though the service appointment is after our warranty expires they said as long as I have identified the issues before the warranty expires there is no problem. I guess it is benefical for the factory service area to work on the issues because then they don't have to pay a dealer for the warranty work.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #14
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
NOW IM really P*****off, just got off the phone with keystone and explained my front cap issue only to be told they do not do any warranty work at factory. Told them I had pictures of the bad areas and the spot that has a 6" x 18" flat spot in the cap and all they would tell me is I have to take it to a dealer and the dealer would have to make a request for me to bring it to the factory if they could not repair it. I asked if a dealer could realy take out a 6"X8" flat spot (poor mold) and they said well No, but you still will have to go to a dealer first.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The factory depends on the dealer to examine and diagnose problems and make repairs. If the dealer can't do the job then it's time to involve the factory. Just like you would with your truck.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Just to clarify. I did call Keystone first and then I did take our monty to a dealer to have them address the yellow stains on our ceiling, which is glue/putty. Plus, we had the selling dealer try to fix a tear on the back wall below our window and now we have a bubble in the material the dealer put on the wall. I sent Keystone copies of all the work orders that the dealers completed, plus pictures of the issues and then Keystone agreed to give me a service date for the factory to fix the problems properly. Also, our front decals are frayed, so Keystone told me that they will also replace the frayed decals at the factory.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Called dealer today and they had me email pictures now its up to them as to what they want me to do. I just offered to go out of my way (300+ miles) on the way back from Florida. So if they want me to take it to the dealer and leave it I can only hope factory will cover the cost to transport from dealer to factory as my dealer per phone today said they would prefer it returned to factory. Will just have to wait until I hear something from someone at this point.