Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Did they resolve the infamous A/C problem? Maybe

Even after the PVC in the returns and vent modification my A/C did not work as it should.

Well after opening a case with the Attorney General of Arkansas and a letter sent to Camping World by the Attorney General I got the attention of the GM of Camping World regarding my A/C issue and the inability to cool the camper.

Camping World sent a truck to pick up my camper and they jumped into the middle of it last week with airflow meters and temp gauges. They also promised to pull both A/C units and scope all ducts and wha-la, problem found. The main A/C unit was not centered over the hole in the roof. Flow meter went from 93 to over 400 according to the GM and temps dropped another 7 degrees.

Problem now, holes in roof where it used to be mounted. The GM stepped up and got Keystone to approve a new roof which is being done this week. If they meet his timeline, total time in shop this time, only two weeks.

GM says template used was wrong or factory slid unit over to meet maximum clearance disregarding lining up over hole... either way it is believed based on initial tests that flow quadrupled out of front two vents and was little over double on back vents.

GM say if this fixes mine he has 4 more waiting for same and suspects same diagnoses.

And... I now have the cell phone number of the GM of Camping World in Lowell AR.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Interesting. Likely explanation for why some folks have AC issues and some folks do not. Whoever did the installation had to know unit was not centered correctly. Traditional AC installs have to be squared on the open vent, unlike whisper air. Have to admit I would have never thought to check. Ours was installed correctly as I discovered when I had to replace 3 days before end of dometic warranty. Sounds like you really got some great results from your efforts!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

[QUOTE=1retired06;1076358]Interesting. Likely explanation for why some folks have AC issues and some folks do not. Whoever did the installation had to know unit was not centered correctly. Traditional AC installs have to be squared on the open vent, unlike whisper air. Have to admit I would have never thought to check. Ours was installed correctly as I discovered when I had to replace 3 days before end of dometic warranty. Sounds like you really got some great results from your efforts![/QUOT

I hope this opens a really big and expensive can of worms for Keystone. Maybe it will be corrected at the factory level before we buy another Montana.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
[QUOTE=bshgto;1076412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Interesting. Likely explanation for why some folks have AC issues and some folks do not. Whoever did the installation had to know unit was not centered correctly. Traditional AC installs have to be squared on the open vent, unlike whisper air. Have to admit I would have never thought to check. Ours was installed correctly as I discovered when I had to replace 3 days before end of dometic warranty. Sounds like you really got some great results from your efforts![/QUOT

I hope this opens a really big and expensive can of worms for Keystone. Maybe it will be corrected at the factory level before we buy another Montana.
Not a safety item so not a recall. Only a small percentage of owners here to find out. Out of warranty will eliminate most. Dealers are too busy selling to want any work, especially not warranty work. Keystone will not even notice a bump...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
cindy3663

M.O.C. #20593
montana is at Camping World of Syracuse ny

Our 2018 Montana High Country just happens to be at Syracuse, NY right now and telling us there is nothing wrong with the as, we had a 2016 flagstaff and it cooled much better, I do not want to take there answer, wish I knew how to go about contacting the Camping World GM too. our 5ther is only 3 weeks old and I texted Camping World when it was 2 days old and said it is so hot in here my dogs are sick, had to go stay with relative during the day when we were in Michigan
we were thinking of putting in a second unit which they recommended to a tune of $1,600.00
Cindy
cindy3663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy3663 View Post
Our 2018 Montana High Country just happens to be at Syracuse, NY right now and telling us there is nothing wrong with the as, we had a 2016 flagstaff and it cooled much better, I do not want to take there answer, wish I knew how to go about contacting the Camping World GM too. our 5ther is only 3 weeks old and I texted Camping World when it was 2 days old and said it is so hot in here my dogs are sick, had to go stay with relative during the day when we were in Michigan
we were thinking of putting in a second unit which they recommended to a tune of $1,600.00
Cindy
In the paperwork at close you will find Marcus' email address. Since he became a tv star I'm not sure how much he reads them any longer. There are tons of threads at every forum on AC. Every 5er I have owned needed a 2nd AC when temps hit 90. $1600 is way high. CW put one on my neighbors Cougar for under $900.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #7
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy3663 View Post
Cindy
Contact Keystone customer support, they supposedly very aware now of the highly published and documented collapsed return air and some vent air duct work issue due to roof insulation collapsing them.
Monett, MO
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
It's a shame that it took Attorney General involvement to get Lowell AR Camping World to diagnose the problem on your unit and address the remedy with Keystone. Best of luck to you!
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Well, was supposed to get camper back this week... another date missed.
Monett, MO
Old 10-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
Well, was supposed to get camper back this week... another date missed.
Well got our 3950BR camper back, they had put on a new roof, moved the air correctly over the hole in the roof to fix airflow but... First thing I did was crawl up on the roof and it is a terrible job, then I see glue all over side and widows, and then my awnings are black except white patches either caused by glue or what little cleaner they did use. I( am not happy.

So back to the GM of camping world with pictures of the mess... he offers to replace the camper with a new 3950BR swap paper for paper.

We agreed on a interior color change because that was the one on the lot and should pick it up on 11/6 after being checked through.

More to come... after 11/6 when we see this through hopefully.
Monett, MO
Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
gsphunter46

M.O.C. #21675
Jeff, are you having AC issues with the new rig? I purchased a 2018 3950BR last week and its already back at the dealer with some other issues but the main one is the AC not able to cool off the living room
gsphunter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 AM   #12
cindy3663

M.O.C. #20593
lots of luck, We purchased ours September 2017, took one trip, we just got ours out for the season, it was suppose to be fixed last fall at camping world of Syracuse, said no problems could not check it because weather already too cold, and that we did not know how run the thermostat, so I got out the notes from the tech, well guess what it ran 5 hrs. living room stayed the same, no change temp outside was 82 temp inside was 80. So we started checking things out, took out the round vents cut down the collars and inserted a small piece of aluminum flashing to catch the air before going to the bedroom, we did this on all 4 vents in living room and kitchen, we got it down to 74 deg., we may end up putting on a second air conditioner in bedroom because the fix we did cuts the air flow down to the bedroom.
cindy3663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Wholt

M.O.C. #18773
I'm a newby to the Montana owners club and hope to get a recommendation on a AC unit to put in our bedroom on our 2009 3150rl. I have researched it so much that I have information overload. I'm leaning toward the Atwood. Thanks for your input. Wayne
Wholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jeff,

Sounds like good news and a good dealer.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #15
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Jeff,

Sounds like good news and a good dealer.
It's been long road along with a letter from the Attorney General of Arkansas to Camping World has helped, but yes the GM of Camping World in Lowell in Arkansas said he personally never knew of my issues and has been more than cordial since learning of my issues and now new problems.
Monett, MO