Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #21
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyguy

mazeeff: Thanks for the info. I have copied your suggestions and will try them the next time I'm in Q'site.

If I understand what is being said about humidity, then adding moisture to the INSIDE of the trailer would possibly contribute to freezing up, contrary to what the person at the RV repair place said? Or does the humidity just relate to the OUTSIDE humidity?
In general you want to end up cool and dry. You might want to add humidity in the middle of a cold dry winter, but never in the hot humid summer.

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #22
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Our sealer said it was fixed WRONG. Brought it home turned on AC after 6 hours outside temp 87 degrees inside temp 83 degrees. After thunderstorm outside temp dropped to 74 degrees inside temp still around 80 degrees, This cannot be correct. We did have 2nd AC installed worked fine but I want the main unit to work the second AC will not cool the whole coach. We are leaving for Myrtle Beach I guess we will have to call local rep to come out and look at the AC. Cannot believe dealer told us they tested it out good, NO WAY this happened the air is not even cool coming out of vents acts like no freon.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #23
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Our sealer said it was fixed WRONG. Brought it home turned on AC after 6 hours outside temp 87 degrees inside temp 83 degrees. After thunderstorm outside temp dropped to 74 degrees inside temp still around 80 degrees, This cannot be correct. We did have 2nd AC installed worked fine but I want the main unit to work the second AC will not cool the whole coach. We are leaving for Myrtle Beach I guess we will have to call local rep to come out and look at the AC. Cannot believe dealer told us they tested it out good, NO WAY this happened the air is not even cool coming out of vents acts like no freon.
A simple test you can perform yourself, will tell you a lot about the health of your A/C. Take a digital thermometer and put the probe up in the quickcool vents, and close the vents. Let the A/C run for 15 minutes, and check the temp. It should be around 20 degrees lower than ambient temp. If not you have a problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #24
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Thanks I will try that.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:13 AM   #25
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
A couple of weeks ago, I decided to run a series of experiments to determine how much colder I make the inside of the trailer compared to the outside ambient. Here are my results.

One A/C running 15K BTU

Outside 85 inside 63 after two hours
Outside 90 inside 67

Seems to max out at about 23 degrees difference.

Both A/C runnning 15K and 13.5K BTU

Outside 85 inside 60 after two hours and getting colder
Outside 90 inside 63 and getting colder

Seems to give me 25-30 degrees of differential.

Keep in mind that this is not a very scientific test, and I was not measureing humidity, which was high. Bottom line is that you should be able to easily maintaine a 20 degree difference from outside ambient. Also, I have a 3255RL with only two slides. The more slides you have the more difficult to cool, due to square footage and air gaps.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Broome, to add to the above, we arrived here on Sunday. The inside temp was 93. Outside was about the same with high humidity (upper 7x% range). Our single AC (15k unit) ran six hours with ceiling fan and two floor fans running. It shut off after 6 hours when it reached the 74 degree thermostat setting. It's been hot ever since and very humid. It is keeping it at the 74 setting but it does run more often than not. But it's very comfortable in here. We have the Hunter digital thermostat set at a one degree variance, so that's one reason it runs frequently.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #27
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well I decided to postpone my trip by one day. took it back to dealer first thing this morning on his door step at 8AM. Told him what was going on and wanted it fixed even if they had to replace it he agreed to give it the once over again be back at 4 PM to pick up on way or the other. Went to pick it up very hot today about 92 degrees humidity high about 74% I think. Went into the coach with him in full sun all slides out 4 of them temp inside was 73 degrees. he had temp probes one in front middle and back air ducts, all of them read 48 degrees, said he did nothing other than plugged it up and turned it on, hard for me to believe but it seems to be working now. Brought it back home hooked it up ran it while we packed the camper and frig temp went from 86 degrees inside when I started down to 73 degrees had stat set at 70 seems to be working thus far. Turned main off than tried new 2nd AC I installed myself, turned it one while I cleaned up trailer and truck and went and fueled truck up the 2nd AC had the kitchen and front living room down to 67 degrees it worked great so hopefully all Will work well at Myrtle Beach. If not I have number to warranty guy in hand with me that ill come to site and do repairs. Will let you know be off the air a while traveling not taking lap top on this trip.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #28
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Well I decided to postpone my trip by one day. took it back to dealer first thing this morning on his door step at 8AM. Told him what was going on and wanted it fixed even if they had to replace it he agreed to give it the once over again be back at 4 PM to pick up on way or the other. Went to pick it up very hot today about 92 degrees humidity high about 74% I think. Went into the coach with him in full sun all slides out 4 of them temp inside was 73 degrees. he had temp probes one in front middle and back air ducts, all of them read 48 degrees, said he did nothing other than plugged it up and turned it on, hard for me to believe but it seems to be working now. Brought it back home hooked it up ran it while we packed the camper and frig temp went from 86 degrees inside when I started down to 73 degrees had stat set at 70 seems to be working thus far. Turned main off than tried new 2nd AC I installed myself, turned it one while I cleaned up trailer and truck and went and fueled truck up the 2nd AC had the kitchen and front living room down to 67 degrees it worked great so hopefully all Will work well at Myrtle Beach. If not I have number to warranty guy in hand with me that ill come to site and do repairs. Will let you know be off the air a while traveling not taking lap top on this trip.
Sounds like a winner. 48 degree outlet temp on 73 degree ambient is a 25 degree differential, and that is "GOOD"!