Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #21
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thanks RV Wheels,

I think it woul;d be easier if someone wants to see these pictures contact me at accuprep@grics.net leave your email address and i will email them to you. That won't be so hard for a old goat like me to figure out.

Bill

Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #22
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bill

If you love your Montna as I do.Don`t let bubbles burst your bubble so to speak.I called the people at Eternabond and spoke to a guy that was very informative.And also a Rv owner to boot.He told me all you have to do is cut out the bubble completely,if its rough and you want a smooth finish(not neccessary)underneath lightly sand it down and just apply the Eternabond tape right to the wood.No need for any glue.After you put down the tape,take a small metal rollar and go over the tape.Just make sure that the Eternabond is applied to DRY WOOD.If for some reason Keystone doesn`t come threw for me I will do this repair as he suggested.Will it look as pretty as one peice of rubber??probably not.Do I really care what the rubber looks like 12 feet 8 inches in the air?Not really.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:39 AM   #23
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thanks Harleyrider,
I sent the pictures to Keystone yesterday, (overnight) I am going to call them Monday to see that they received the Pictures. I also have a tracking # to make sure someone signs for them. My dealer (Collier of Rockford, IL) said make sure I mention their name, he said they move a lot of units & are always promoting Keyston RV's. He thinks that would help. My dealer also said what you basically did, not to fret they would fix it and it wouldn't be that expensive, just labor.
I will keep that tape in mind though. A lot of people are unaware that their roof glue is only covered one year. My brother-in-law said to me O'h no I'm covered by my extended warrantee. He looked it up and low and behold no coverage.
I have a suggestion, they should put a spell check thing on this for dummy's like me that type with two fingers and miss half the keys.
Thanks again Harleyrider and all, I will keep you informed on the outcome. The only thing is we wanted to leave on our first trip the middle of April, I hope this is resolved by then.

Bill
Old 03-26-2005, 04:51 AM   #24
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give you a up date on our problem with the rubber roof.
I don't know who said Keystone takes forever to reply to phone calls or email. I sent the pictures in last Friday the 19th, on Tuesday the 22nd I had a phone call from Keystone.
I was called again yesterday by a service rep from Keystone and was told to take our unit to our dealer for a service rep to look at and see what it will take to fix my problem..
Those people I talked to at Keystone were more then helpful in trying to resolve my problem. A person couldn't ask for more. They treated me like a long lost friend.
I have to call Monday the 28th to make an appointment with my dealer. I will let you know what they say the fix will be.
Happy Easter everyone.

Bill
Old 03-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #25
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bill & Rita

Well it looks like things are finally coming your way.Glad to hear that.I`ll be interested in hearing what the fix is on the roof.I`am still waiting for that LONG over due call from my dealer.The weather is finally starting to break here in Pennsylvania and I have the camping itch badly.Looks like you`ll be all set for your trip in April Bill & Rita.Great news!!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #26
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello Harleyrider.
Called the dealer this AM, they can't get me in until April 12th. That will have to be ok.
Let me know how you are making out, I hope your luck has changed for you.

Bill
Old 04-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #27
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
accuprep, I have been reading your post and I am happy to hear Keystone is going to fix the problem! I also wanted to let you know that we purchased our new Montana in Feb 05 from Collier RV in Rockford IL too! We were very pleased with all there departments and they are very friendly people who go out of there way for you. I know we stopped by on a Saturday and the place was really busy! This was back in February so I can only imagine now with camping season drawing nearer, I bet they are really feeling the rush! Good Luck and please let us know how the roof job goes.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #28
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Bob & Kathy,

Congrats on your new Montana, we are also pleased with Colliers, the sales manager there is John Slick, his father is my barber in Mt. Carroll. If you ever have a problem there ask for him he will bend over backwards to please you. Any problems we have ever had with our unit, Collier's went out of there way to make sure we got in touch with the right people at Keystone.
I will keep you and everyone else updated on our roof fix.
We live so close to each other, I hope we hit the same camp ground some day, it would be nice to meet you and your better half.

Bill
Old 04-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #29
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello again everyone,

For those of you interested on the fix for my rubber roof, I was told by Keystone to take my 5er to our dealer and get an idea on what it will take to solve our problem. Remember now this is a 2001 out of warranty. Well to make the story short the dealer looked at it and said the whole roof is bad, he made some comments about what caused it but I am not sure if he was correct, so I will leave that alone for right now until Keystone looks at it. I'm sure they will explain what happened. Our dealer did tell me the only fix was to remove the entire roof fix what needs to be fixed and replace it with a new rubber roof.
The dealer took several pictures of the roof and emailed them to keystone. They told me to take the unit back home until we hear from keystone. He said it was a big job and didn't really want to tackle it. He said they were short of help and it would probably take about forty hours at a cost of $79.00 an hour. They also stated if Keystone did want them to do the job they couldn't get to it until the end of May. So we hooked up again and drove the 70 miles back home.
The very next day I heard from Keystone not from one person but three different phone calls. They asked how I would feel about bringing the 5er to them in Gotian Indiana? It's about 270 miles from where I live, I told them no problem, kidding I said I'll be there in a half hour. Keystone is going to replace the roof their self. He asked if I was happy with that and I told them absolutely. He said I would even be happier when they were through, that it would be like a new RV. I have an appointment for the end of this month. They will fix and replace the roof while I am there, two to three days at the most and I could be on my way home.
Does anyone want to ask me if I'm happy? LOL.
These people at Keystone have been so nice and helpful sometimes I think I am dreaming.
When I get back I will inform everyone what took place.
I might mention Jeff Rank has been following this close, if it wasn't for him I don't know where I would be.
I hope you read this Harleyrider, how did you make out with your roof?

Bill
Old 04-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, that's terrific to hear! And it just confirms my own experience with Keystone. I know I've said it many times, so much I've been accused of being a "keystone apologist", for crying out loud. Keystone is truly hard to beat. If they change their direction and start ignoring the consumer, then I will be among the first to say so. Until then, way to go, Keystone!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #31
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello Everyone,
We just returned from Goshen, IN. I just want to let everyone know our roof problems were resolved, they did what they said they would do plus more. They informed me as long as we were their they wanted to do a retro fix to the front of our unit. they said there was to much flex near the king pin and they wanted to open it up and weld somemore bracing to the front end. they also did a retro fix to the bedroom slide, they pulled the whole slide out and rasied the bed up about 1". It runs a smooth as can be now. They also did a few other things for us.
These people are great, all of there help were very kind and helpful. I hope the people at Keystone also read this, they made a believer out of me. I should remind everyone our rig is out of warranty it's a 2001 model, and they took the time to make sure I was happy.
We took the Montana tour, that also impressed me, I recommend that to everyone.
It would take an awful lot to convince me to purchase anything but a Keystone product, they sure have me sold.
Needless to say Rita and I are two happy campers.

Bill
Old 04-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #32
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
I'm glad to hear Keystone took good care of you. They are a fine company of good people.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #33
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bill & Rita

great news for you guys.I`am glad they did it the right way.Now you are a happy camper.

As a side note my dealer replaced my rubber roof as well.Did a wonderful job.Even replaced the roof on the slides as well.When I climbed the ladder to take a look,a big smile came over my face.The service manager was right their with me and I told him,thank you and your techs for a job well done.And Keystone footed the entire bill.Labor alone for all the fixes was $4650.

My Montana was down their for 93 days.their shop rate is $93 bucks an hour.Hows that for being weird.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:03 AM   #34
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Glad to hear keystone took care of everyones roof problems here,but these dealers and keystone need to state their warranties better in black and white,what good is a twelve year roof warranty when the glue is only good for one year.Keystone is not the only builder doing that, they stepped up to the plate on our fiberglass problem also,unit is in the shop now for a re-repair but only after complaining loudly at an rv show with a keystone rep.Keystone does go beyond the call of duty for most after warranty problems and for that we are grateful, but they need to spell out all their warranties more clearly,just my .02 cents worth.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #35
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi,
I'm happy for you Harleyrider, looks like we will have a good summer this year without the worries of damage to our 5ers.
I agree with you SGF but as long as I know Keystone will step up to the plate I have no worries. There are a lot of people out there that abuse there equipment and expect Keystone to make the repairs for free. That I think is why sometime they are hard to get a hold of, they have to sort out the ligitimate claims first. Believe me I am not defending Keystone but I saw first hand what goes on there. One person tore his roof on a tree limb and expected the roof to be under warranty. I really take care of our rig and watch closely when pulling into a strange camsite.

Bill