Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Not Happy w/ Good Sam or Toyo Tires

Went to coast a couple of weeks ago, Checked tires and air before leaving town. 100 Miles down road lost leftside front tire. Tires have about 15000 and still looked new. Changed tire with the help of fellow RVer in about 10 minutes and back on road, with only damage to plastic wheel skirt. Thought I had hit something in that the tires were like new. Made it to coast and headed home after a few days, less than 100 miles and lost the rear tire. I thought what I had hit had damage both tires. Not as lucky, took out the rear of trailer, $2000.00.
One the problem, Called Good Sam and waited over 4 hours to get tire and then had to pay $420.00 to have tire changed. This was not only bad service but business, I didn't mine the $190.00 for new tire but the cost of mounting was outragous, $165.00.
I'll be looking for another tow service.
Second Problem, got home and check other tires and a third one was ready to go. Thought Toyo made good tires???
Les Schab Tires be good by me, they gave me 71% back on tire all four, with no questions asked.

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmmm I thought that with the roadside service yes you have to pay for the new tire but why would you have to pay to have it mounted?? Either way I though roadside service meant they changed the tire....whether it is your tire from under the trailer or if you bought one from them....My thinking is you should have only paid the $190 for the new tire....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don't know if you frequent the open roads forum. But within the last few months there have been a lot of complaints about Good Sam ERS posted on that forum. I don't know if they have made any recent changes in how they operate, but their posted complaints are sure up.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Bad news on that mounting charge!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good Sam contracts their service out. They may have changed contractors. I use Coach Net. They're not in the camping club or RV sales and service business, only road service.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I had a bad experience with GS road service, as well. I payed for the service for years without ever needing it, then the one time I did, they didn't come through. I've been done with everything Good Sam ever since.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
I had the same issue with Good Sam when I had my issue with my last Monty. Called them they started in with what they could and could not do and what it would cost me.
I still had AAA with RV tow and service, called them and no questions asked, there in less than 30 minutes.
Does not say much for Good Sam. I renewed my AAA.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I've never heard of anything but "good" regarding the Toyo tires. Regarding the roadside service issue.... Seems all the companies have both good and bad reports. You just pick one that works for you. We have the AAA RV Service and so far it has worked for us. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Question?? How old were the tires? I keep a date log on my computer. If any tire is will be over 4 years old during a trip--I get a new tire at home. Mileage is not even considered. Our travel habits are usually 3-4 months on the road--towing 3500 to 8000 miles.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
You need to remember that the ST tires depending on the weight of your RV, are pretty much living on the edge. You blow one tire, now all the weight on that side is resting on that one tire. That seems to be why people can have two blowouts. Not surprised after 15,000 miles the second one had a blowout.

You can not always judge tires on how they look on the outside. It's what you can't see that on the inside is sometimes the concern.

Glad that you are all safe and that your only damage was minor and your wallet got lighter.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

You need to remember that the ST tires depending on the weight of your RV, are pretty much living on the edge. You blow one tire, now all the weight on that side is resting on that one tire. That seems to be why people can have two blowouts. Not surprised after 15,000 miles the second one had a blowout.

You can not always judge tires on how they look on the outside. It's what you can't see that on the inside is sometimes the concern.

Glad that you are all safe and that your only damage was minor and your wallet got lighter.
If they were Toyo tires, they were LT tires, not ST. Toyo doesn't make trailer tires that I'm aware of. Still, it begs the question of whether the tire was within the weight limits for that axle, and you are right, once that tire blew, all the weight went to the remaining tire on that side.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We too, are not happy with Good Sam. We just dumped their insurance after the rates doubled in two years. Haven't used the ERS yet, but dread if we do. How long has AAA had RV ERS? I was told by a local office that they would not cover trailers or pick up trucks. That was about 4 years ago.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I broke down after our last camping trip and contacted GSERS. I’ve had so many break-downs over the years that I’m well ahead on what they have paid out on my be-half. Overall I wouldn’t want to be on the road without it but…To speak well of them, this last time my service was worthless. I’ll spare the details!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

We too, are not happy with Good Sam. We just dumped their insurance after the rates doubled in two years. Haven't used the ERS yet, but dread if we do. How long has AAA had RV ERS? I was told by a local office that they would not cover trailers or pick up trucks. That was about 4 years ago.
We've had our AAA RV coverage for at least 10 years. You can get some strange replies when you talk with them. While we always get our problems taken care of there can be some interesting happenings. Just this past Wednesday we had a tire go flat on the trailer. Called and they asked all the right questions and said they'd be out shortly. A guy in a little SUV shows up and looks at trailer and says "We can't do this!" Says he doesn't have proper equipment. Fine I say I've got a jack that would work. NO. We can't do it.

By this time I'm a bit torqued! But AAA reps are right back to me on the phone. And she says she will find someone else. About an hour later a HUGE truck shows up. I figure he will have it changed in no time. Wrong! So this guy will at least use my jack! Once you get someone out with proper equipment and attitude things go well. Ahhhhh, The stories! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

Question?? How old were the tires? I keep a date log on my computer. If any tire is will be over 4 years old during a trip--I get a new tire at home. Mileage is not even considered. Our travel habits are usually 3-4 months on the road--towing 3500 to 8000 miles.

Tires were less than three years old.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

If they were Toyo tires, they were LT tires, not ST. Toyo doesn't make trailer tires that I'm aware of. Still, it begs the question of whether the tire was within the weight limits for that axle, and you are right, once that tire blew, all the weight went to the remaining tire on that side.
Yes I was well within the weight limit of the tires, has problem with axles a few years back and did a wieght check.