Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #21
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
After sitting down with two different dealer commercial truck salesman, I redid all the math for which to get DRW or SRW. I used trailer GVRW and 25% of that for pin weight. With SRW I had no margin for extras in the truck. So I went DRW. I want to be legal if DMV ever question my rig if an accident occurs. 4 x 2 for me. Using a dually around town has not been an issue, so I'm selling my other car. They have improved turning radius a lot in the new trucks.

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #22
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
kiltedpig, as you can read, you are getting many different opinions from this thread. It boils down to what you need and are the most comfortable with. Since I had a SRW rated at 9900 lbs, that truck always did everything I ever needed it to do. I could drive thru car washes, teller windows and much more. I have since recently traded that truck in after 9 years for a new '14 SRW that is rated at 11,500 lbs. That gives us an extra 1600 lbs we can put in the new truck vs the old. The way I see it, when we get ready to buy a new 5er, we will be able to get a bigger unit without any issues. And, I can still drive thru car washes and teller windows. I am confident that what ever you buy, will be what you need. There are only 2 things that matter most. That you have a diesel and a Montana!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The newer trucks have bigger specs. The answer is simple look at the spec's of a SRW. The main issue is PIN WEIGHT which is part of the carry capacity of the truck. In the example MIMF gives above his truck with a GVWR of 11,500LBs should weigh in at 8K or a bit more ready for pulling the Montana. That would leave 3500Lbs for pin weight. The only way to get the real numbers is to weigh the truck ready to pull. If the numbers are good the truck is good. Note the pin weight on our 06 3400 was right at 3100lbs +/- a few don't know yet the pin weight on this 13 3402.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #24
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

...I've towed our 3402RL with 2905 lbs on the pin with my 2500HD for three years now...
Just out of curiosity, what does your Tire and Information Loading sticker list as your cargo capacity? It's on the driver's door pillar.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #25
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Been there, done that! Started out with a 2006 F350 6.0L PSD SRW towing our 2007 Montana 3400RL. Then got the 2011 F350 6.7L PDS DRW to tow the same 5er, what a difference. IMHO - Once you go from a SRW to a DRW you will never go back. As far as maneuverability goes... like the Ford salesman said "If the mirrors can pass through then the dual wheels will too. Our last two trucks have both been ordered from the factory so I don't park in tight parking spots anyway...the walking is good for me.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
When we bought our first Montana, I went with a Silverado 3500 SRW. It met the weight rating of the trailer, and we used it to go to places from Maine to Alaska. Truck and trailer handled fine going through multiple mountain ranges and average 9.5 mpg on the Alaskan trip. A year and a half ago, we bought a new Montana and although the truck pulled it just fine, we were over the truck's weight limit. The new 3500 SRW would have again been sufficient but I went with a dually on the premise that if we ever buy another new trailer, I don't want to have weight issue again. As far as claims about the dually being more stable when pulling, I can't comment because I'm still waiting to get the hitch installed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I have a drw-would not go back to srw.I do not mind walking a little more.It is also 4x4 and use it a lot in the winter.PS,I am over loaded!
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Just to repeat what others said, which is really the most important factor, what hitch weight/cargo weight will you actually need? My Montana is just over 2,800 empty (not to be confused with total weight), my SRW F350 has the optional 11,300 GVWR Package and Ford list the payload capacity limit for my model as 4,400 pounds. I feel comfortable being full time and loaded using my SRW. If my Montana tongue weight was closer to 4,000 or more pounds loaded I probably would have switched to DRW. I have been in 40mph crosswinds and I can drive my rig perfectly straight with one hand on the wheel. I have also had to shut it down and get stopped in a hurry and my combination was fine. Be careful and look at the tongue weight of your Montana compared to specs on trucks you are considering. Don't under estimate how much added weight goes into one of these Montana fivers when full time also. With tools, food, clothing, computers, and all the other junk I suspect we added at least 1,500 pounds or more. Just my HO
Old 04-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #29
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

...my SRW F350 has the optional 11,300 GVWR Package and Ford list the payload capacity limit for my model as 4,400 pounds....
Once again, out of curiosity, I'll ask you the same question I asked Bethandkevin, what is the cargo capacity as listed on your Tire and Loading Information sticker? You cannot rely on the manufacturers to give you the exact correct information for your make/model and equipped truck. That sticker will have it to the nearest one pound...for your truck.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #30
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

...my SRW F350 has the optional 11,300 GVWR Package and Ford list the payload capacity limit for my model as 4,400 pounds....
Once again, out of curiosity, I'll ask you the same question I asked Bethandkevin, what is the cargo capacity as listed on your Tire and Loading Information sticker? You cannot rely on the manufacturers to give you the exact correct information for your make/model and equipped truck. That sticker will have it to the nearest one pound...for your truck.
This might seem like a dumb question, but who else but the manufacturer would put the tire loading and information sticker on the truck? Unless it was upfitted.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
my SRW F350 has the optional 11,300 GVWR Package and Ford list the payload capacity limit for my model as 4,400 pounds"

But what is the Actual payload. Example My Ford sticker states a max payload capacity of 4268lbs and a GVWR of 13,000lbs. That is fine but what does the truck actually weigh ready to tow. Mine weighs 9,200 lbs so take that away from the 13K gvwr and the actual payload capacity is 3800lbs. My 06 pin weight was 3,100lbs (longtimer) so I had a 700lbs buffer. If you do that math and the number is good on a SWD you are good but that is where many swd trucks fall short. I do not know about the stability issue but 4 tires on the ground has got to be more stable than two wheels on the ground.

The numbers will tell the tale. It pulls it fine does not hack it. Good numbers, good truck. At least know were you are on the spec's.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I you ever encounter a situation where the additional rear two wheels saved you from being unstable, you were either driving recklessly to begin with or where you shouldn't have been.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #33
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
In regards to the stability issue between DRW and SRW, I don't think there is a noticeable difference. In the mid 90's I had a GMC dually with extended cab and the old GM jerked over diesel. For 2 years, I used that truck to deliver 5th wheels, travel trailers and mobile office trailers all over the US and Canada. Mainly, all over the eastern half of the US. I do not feel any less stable pulling our 5th wheel with the SRW than with a dually. Granted, trucks now days are much better engineered and built than they were 20 years ago but, I don't buy the better stability thing with a dually. Sorry! It all boils down to what you need the truck to do and personal preference. If I thought for a moment that I would ever buy a 5th wheel in the future that weighs over 16K lbs, I would have bought a dually 6 weeks ago. And.....perhaps I will need one to support a heavier coach someday. But, for now, the SRW is more than enough truck for me.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #34
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
This topic has been disused so much over the years and it goes on and on and on. Those that have - think they have the best so let's leave the decision to each individual. I have towed with SRW for 10 years with a 2001 and 2006 F350, had no problems and was within weight ratings. In 2011 I steeped up to F350 DRW and I can honestly say there is a difference in driving while towing for the better. So do you need a DRW - NO. Does the DRW provide better towing and handling - YES. Is the DRW restrictions worth it for a daily driver - it's up to you. Remember the DRW provides a heavier payload (tongue weight) not overall trailer weight and does so with a more stable ride based on it's design. Think - If there was no difference why would they build it? Why can you not get a F450 in a SRW. Just wanted to give my experience with both platforms - choice is your and I would not argue any choice individuals make.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #35
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
It's funny how everyone has to defend their choice. I don't care what others say, more tires on the ground gives more stability.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #36
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Just what I was gonna say too...there is a reason most 3500's are duallies.... As long as I can get her into a Sonic's I'm good lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The primary purpose of the dually is increased payload . Look around the internet and you will find
some data on that. Same as tag axles on busses and trucks they increase payload, We had a member on here some time ago that had the expertise to show the stability difference and it was not much.

We did have a tire go flat on our inside left dually two season ago on our way to Florida and I did not feel any difference in handling but did hear a noise that should not have been there. Pulled over and the tire had lost air. Was able to drive the rig several miles to a truck stop for repair instead of being along side the road. I would never have noted the flat tire except that something did not sound right. Don't think that is a design feature of a dully but it is a advantage.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #38
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

It's funny how everyone has to defend their choice. I don't care what others say, more tires on the ground gives more stability.
EXACTLY !!!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #39
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

EXACTLY !!! And my opinion after owning Tow Trucks for 35 yrs.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #40
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

my SRW F350 has the optional 11,300 GVWR Package and Ford list the payload capacity limit for my model as 4,400 pounds"

But what is the Actual payload. Example My Ford sticker states a max payload capacity of 4268lbs and a GVWR of 13,000lbs. That is fine but what does the truck actually weigh ready to tow. Mine weighs 9,200 lbs so take that away from the 13K gvwr and the actual payload capacity is 3800lbs. My 06 pin weight was 3,100lbs (longtimer) so I had a 700lbs buffer. If you do that math and the number is good on a SWD you are good but that is where many swd trucks fall short. I do not know about the stability issue but 4 tires on the ground has got to be more stable than two wheels on the ground.

The numbers will tell the tale. It pulls it fine does not hack it. Good numbers, good truck. At least know were you are on the spec's.
The difference between the sticker capacity and the actual capacity, based on what it now weighs, is the stuff you've added.