Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
RVillage web site

Found this site that might make it easier to connect with MOC members. http://www.rvillage.com. What do you think? We could start a Montana Owners Group

Below are some summary comments about what the site is that I cut and paste

The core idea of RVillage is to create a very simple (and free) tool for RVers to connect with each other – not just online, but right in the RV parks and places they are currently staying in.

When a user checks into a location in RVillage, they can discover the things that they have in common with other RVers right around them.

This sure beats leaving connections up to chance encounters while walking the cat, or the random stranger coming up asking “what type of engine is in that thing?” while you are busy dumping the tanks.

RVillage allows and encourages members to "check-in" to whatever RV park they are in (Not in a park? Check in using just city/town and state)

RVillage makes it easier for RVers to meet people visiting the same RV park or campground or city or area

Members can then see what other RVillage members are in the park (or town), check out their profiles, send messages, set up get-togethers, etc.

Members can become "friends"

Members can create groups or join groups of other, like-minded RVers

Members can create "get-togethers" in campgrounds (such as potlucks, happy hours, campfires, etc), in the area (such as dinners, movies, tours, paddling outings, etc.), and in future locations

Members can explore and see where other members, RV parks, and vendors are located

Members can view a map of 1) all other RVillage members, 2) their friends, 3) members of groups they are part of, and 4) combinations of all of those
Members can upload photos

jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I believe if you study the groups, there is already one for Montanas.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Color me confused, we already have the MOC where we can post our whereabouts, keep up with other members, and email or PM other members through the site. Why would we want to add another location to do the same thing?
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bingo,
I started the Montana Owners Group.
I have requested and waiting permission from MOC ADMIN to allow that topic to be linked to this WEB forum.
RVillage has some advanced features.
As with anything else it can be a back up.
Safe travels all.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I have signed up on the new RVillages. The jury is out if I shall stay there.

IT IS IN BETA.

So, obviously the site will change.

Without some of the proposed changes, I find it less than useful in some areas of their forum.

I also have an issue with some attitudes from some of the developers. I will NOT say more. I don't have to like everyone, I know there are many that find me objectionable!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree with John, it could be very useful to those of us who move around a lot and also to those who stay in one place and would like to have some company from time to time. Here you post once and it disappears. Folks who are work camping will be there for some time and may have a site in the back of the park or down a trail in a government park.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
I believe there are more robust forum platforms that would allow this group to upgrade their community experience. With the popularity of Facebook and Yelp, and other similar platforms, people enjoy "checking in", "friending" various people, being able to easily share pictures, and share general comments.. As with anything, however, change is sometimes challenging. And finding a platform that everyone is happy with might also pose a challenge.

This forum works very well once you learn how to maneuver around it.

One option might be to create a Facebook Group in addition to this forum, but then we would have to switch back and forth still.
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Like???This FB group?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anglerdad

...One option might be to create a Facebook Group in addition to this forum, but then we would have to switch back and forth still. ...
I am *NOT* a Facebook fan but there are at least three different Montana groups there that I know of. FB doesn't offer many of the features I use/need/want.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm one who doesn't like Facebook and doesn't participate. If anyone checks this and finds I have a Facebook page notice that I haven't posted in many many years. The Facebook page exists so that the store can have a page attached to it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
I just refuse to have a Facebook account, not that I do anything that would be considered illegal or immoral, I just want to limit who follows me!!!

I have a good buddy who says follow me for 24 hours and you'll know everything about me
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Carol, there is NOTHING objectionable about you! You're just a sweet young country girl!

I don't Face Book, either. Not interested in letting the world know what I'm doing. Everyone would be bored to death and, it keeps me out of scams and trouble!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:35 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ahhhh, shucks MIMF, thanks.

I happen to enjoy the social media. FB does things with their web site that drive me to distraction, but, the interaction and the contacts are wonderful.

I have received answers to questions in moments, things that really stumped me, technology, places, etc. It is totally amazing. And, I have to say, I have met some of the most brilliant, beautiful, talented, awe inspiring people there. Meet them here on the MOC, meet them on FB. For me, that has been a WIN WIN.

You do not need to let anyone be a friend that you do not want to be a friend on FB. You can limit who is your friend. Google Plus, another social media platform is much less "controlled", someone can follow you and you do not need to approve it. That said, I have totally blocked a number of "characters" on G+. So, it can be controlled there as well.

Anyway, there is a FB page for Montana owners, there is this new RVillage forum and there is a Montana group.

And, for many of us that have made good friends here on the MOC, we still have the old fashioned email and phone.

All tools to help us enjoy the MOC more and better and in different ways.

OHH, and here on the MOC we still have the PM and email messages.

No system is perfect. No system will appeal to all. Love the opportunity to stay in touch via many different systems.

And, now, I return you to your regularly scheduled programming. I am headed back to FB to chat with some special people.

Chow
Old 03-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Ugh, I hate Facebook, but I do have an account to keep up with people in my hobby, Asian Ball Jointed Dolls. But I was raised that you don't tell the world your business, so I find Facebook off-putting.

I very much prefer forums and am a member of -- and regular contributor to -- RV, Disney and Asian Ball Jointed Doll forums. The one feature I find useful on forums is the "go to first unread post" button. Unfortunately I can't find it here. Does this forum have one and I am just missing it?
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by napria

....The one feature I find useful on forums is the "go to first unread post" button. Unfortunately I can't find it here. Does this forum have one and I am just missing it?
The MOC has just such a "thing". In the upper right hand corner, Click on the "Active Topics" clicky. That will show every posting which as been updated since the last time you logged on. There are also choices for ranges of time (hours and weeks). But most of us use the last logon selection.

You can skip those postings you aren't interested in easily. It sure beats going through every category looking for changed postings.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 AM   #16
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Quote:
quote:
The MOC has just such a "thing". In the upper right hand corner, Click on the "Active Topics" clicky. That will show every posting which as been updated since the last time you logged on. There are also choices for ranges of time (hours and weeks). But most of us use the last logon selection.

You can skip those postings you aren't interested in easily. It sure beats going through every category looking for changed postings.
That was incredibly helpful! Thank you!
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Mark me down as another person not subscribed to FB. The DW uses it so we can keep up with 5 kids and 10 8/9 grandkids (next one due in April).