Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #21
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rainer...So it WAS NOT the Ford ESP plan.???????
No, a third party ESP through my credit union.

Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

"I have not had a Ford in a number of years, so I can't comment on your truck, and certainly wish you the best with it. However, in the future you might want to ask this type question prior to signing on the dotted line."

Well, can't say that I care for your comment either. In the future, why don't you read what I asked for and not reply unless you've something constructive to say.
Never said I didn't like your comment...just offering a suggestion.

Read your PM...it's a bit more tactful than your comment.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Walt ... you asked if anyone had any opinions and Tom responded with exactly that ... an opinon ... and a logical one. Ask and ye shall receive as the saying goes. You'll find "sick O" lovers and haters ... I'm from a Ford familiy since the Model T's. I'd not risk ownership of one despite promised longevity after certain mods. Ford lost market share big time with the "sick O" due to way too many issues with the engine. The fact that the engine was offered for only 3 or so years speaks volumes even to those of us that have blue running in our veins. Best of luck with your purchase.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also avoided the 6.0 due to the many motor issues. In fact we purchased a 05 Ford V-10 to pull the 3400 t ill the 6.4 diesel came out. We are not any brand loyal but do live in Ford Country and the Ford friends and family discounts can not be over looked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I would replace the factory EGR cooler with a Bulletproof brand EGR cooler and have ARP head studs installed on it. Flsuh the coolant system out real good and use Ford/Motorcraft oil and fuel filters and you should be good.

And in answer to your question, no I don't own a 6.0l diesel, but see many of them come thru our Ford dealership.....
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
Thereugo
Established Member

M.O.C. #13384
Send a message via MSN to Thereugo
We also have a 2006 F-350, turbo 6.0 liter. The engine, built by International, is pretty bullet proof when used in medium truck duty. The problems arise from the emissions equipment added to qualify for light truck duty. As mentioned, the EGR cooler and oil cooler are especially problematic, and when one or both fail, the engine temperature goes up and stretches the head bolts. We were aware of these issues when we bought the truck about 18 months ago. It, too, had low miles - about 46K. Knowing the issues, we purchased a Ford ESP. It has paid off. Early failures were pretty routine: A/C compressor, alternator and coolant leak. Then, in February, the EGR and oil cooler failed and stretched the head bolts. Ten days in the shop and she runs like a top now. (Thanks to the Ford ESP, we're out-of-pocket just $300.) Our Ford fleet center advised to stick religiously to the factory recommended maintenance cycle and to attempt NO engine power modifications. After market oil coolers are a known fix. As is removing the EGR system (if you can get away with it in your state. We also were told "they like to work." The fewer low speed, around town miles, the better.
Thereugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Batwing

M.O.C. #13651
They also make a coolant filter that is recommended.
Batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've thought about this for a bit and figured I'd just give a little of my own history with different brands (and this is ONLY the repair costs):

1990 Dodge 1/2 ton van - ~50k miles when bought, put another 50k on it, two broken axles, one dead cylinder, can't remember the cost (but it was substantial!)

1986 Chevy Class C - two electrical problems INSIDE the engine compartment and no way associated with the coach. $1,400 total

1999 Nissan PU - gas hog for a small truck, but no problems ever.

2002 Chevy 2500HD - transfer case exploded, half-shaft broke - $2,800

Now, anyone who wants to tell me that any brand is any better than anything else really has to give me a whole lot of empirical data than just 'what someone said to them' stuff. I'm completely aware that any individual may have had a problem with their own vehicle, but I didn't ask for inputs from the community of Chevy or Dodge owners, did I? I do appreciate the info on coolant filtering, oil cooler, head bolts and staying away from tuning stuff. I've also heard a lot about sticking to the maintenance plan with Ford/Motorcraft stuff elsewhere and while I've usually done otherwise, I think I'll follow that. Thanks all!

Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Some of us are a bit confused here on your reaction to your responses. Are you having buyers remorse and wanting some of us to console your purchase or what? You absolutely asked if "Anyone had any opinions". I limitedly agree with you about you'll always have good stories and bad, but some of us responded backed up by verified situations, not smoke and mirror dialect. Again ... good luck with your truck, but the fact stands ... Ford Motor Company pulled the plug on the 6.0 early in the game.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #30
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

I live in ranch country, most all my friends pull stock trailers and heavy equipment trailers. Most all drive Ford F250s or F350s. Most all the 6.0 trucks are gone. The diesel shops around here will tell you to stay from the 6.0. A friend is a fleet mgr for a Ford dealer and he says the same thing. Myself and two daughters pull RVs and ranch trailers, we all are driving F250 7.3 diesels. One daughter has 285,000 miles on a early 2003 and it still gets the job done but she is looking at a new F250.

Frank
Hey Frank,

With all that towing, can I ask why you guys go with F250's rather than F350's? Just curious.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

I live in ranch country, most all my friends pull stock trailers and heavy equipment trailers. Most all drive Ford F250s or F350s. Most all the 6.0 trucks are gone. The diesel shops around here will tell you to stay from the 6.0. A friend is a fleet mgr for a Ford dealer and he says the same thing. Myself and two daughters pull RVs and ranch trailers, we all are driving F250 7.3 diesels. One daughter has 285,000 miles on a early 2003 and it still gets the job done but she is looking at a new F250.

Frank
Hey Frank,

With all that towing, can I ask why you guys go with F250's rather than F350's? Just curious.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Seahunter

Had my first F250 35 years ago. They always done the job for me. They drove better and handeled better. Never did like the dual rear wheels when going thru stock gates and barn doors. Price and mpg also a factor. I seldom ride in the wifes car and always use my truck, in fhe city it is hard to find a parking spot for the F250 much less a 350.

Frank

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #33
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Seahunter

Had my first F250 35 years ago. They always done the job for me. They drove better and handeled better. Never did like the dual rear wheels when going thru stock gates and barn doors. Price and mpg also a factor. I seldom ride in the wifes car and always use my truck, in fhe city it is hard to find a parking spot for the F250 much less a 350.

Frank

Frank
Thanks Frank. I see what you mean on the dually, but what about the single rear wheel F350? Do you just beef up the F250 to get the same payload as the F350 or are you mainly doing bumper towing?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I would classify our overall experience since we’ve owned the 6.0 as being great. However, it didn’t come without some work when I first got it. Let me say this, I purchased it with just over 300K on it. One of the first things I had to do was change the oil cooler which seemed to be a common problem. The wiring harness was somewhat melted and that had to be changed. I’ve changed some glow plugs and injectors but not all. I was also told early on by a diesel mechanic that they had acquired a bad reputation but that was actually a good engine. Overall I believe I’ve spent less than what payments would have been on a new one which could also break down. I’m Happy, Happy, Happy with the service I’ve gotten out of it overall for the total investment. As you can see in my signature it’s still going after 368K miles.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #35
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:

Seahunter

Frank

Frank
As has been stated on here many times, pulling is not the issue, price is not the issue, MPG is not the issue, and parking is not the issue. These Montana's are heavy, not only the tow weight but the pin weight...THAT is the issue, and why a 3/4 is not enough truck.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #36
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:

Seahunter

Frank

Frank
As has been stated on here many times, pulling is not the issue, price is not the issue, MPG is not the issue, and parking is not the issue. These Montana's are heavy, not only the tow weight but the pin weight...THAT is the issue, and why a 3/4 is not enough truck.
Hey Tom,

That's kind of where I was going with my question. Why not opt for a one-ton all things considered, and get the extra payload (pin weight capability). The price has to be negligible between a SRW 250 and a 350, especially considering what we pay for our trucks and trailers to begin with. I can see it wouldn't make a difference for bumper towing, but if it's a fifth wheel or goose-neck, there's quite a difference in payload.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now you have got it. Pin weight...pin weight...pin weight.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #38
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
In general the difference between a SRW and a DRW when negotiating on price in the lot is $1000.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

In general the difference between a SRW and a DRW when negotiating on price in the lot is $1000.
And my idea was that the price difference between the SRW 250 versus SRW 350 has to be even less than that.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #40
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
All 250/2500 trucks are SRW.