Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #21
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I had this problem this spring when I de-winterized. I had flushed the water lines and then turned on the electric power to the hot water tank. A few days later, I turned on the gas for a test and the hot water did not ignite. I pushed the reset switches to no avail.

I turned off the electric to the water heater, drained the water from the tank, refilled the tank and pushed the reset buttons on the water tank, and "suprise" the gas ignited. I believe the limit switch had operated and it took the colder water to allow the reset.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #22
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
bw2,
Interesting. Might be a possibility. I checked continuity on the high limit Thermostats and they are fine. Pushed the buttons but they don't seem to be tripped. Drove down the road two days and the second night we dry camped is when I first noticed the gas water heater wasn't working. The first dry camping night we still had hot water. Had the water heater on both gas and electric heat the first night out when we wet camped but I'm pretty sure the gas heat wasn't working by then. The water was still pretty hot the first dry camping session. I would think that the water would be completely cold by the second night. But... this may not be understood completely until we get home. I will try your method then. The water heater anode needs to be changed and the tank needs to have a good flush anyway after 5 months of crudy AZ water. I wonder if this problem was caused by running the water heater on both gas and electric for 5 months? My present guess is the gas side quit sometime during the 5 months stay and we just never noticed it. An interesting mystery.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote