Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Under Frame Storage

Here is a pretty cool idea for some extra storage - Lippert RV accessories under
Storage Drawer

For those of us without the z-frame (2008)

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad,
Not sure what a z-frame is, but will these work on our (2007) 3400's?? I really like the concept. Wonder if the spare tire lowering mechanism needs changed??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo - the Z-frame is the new lowered belly on the Montana line where the frame is stacked. They may all be the same in the back as our models, I don't remember.

Anyway, looks like the kit that comes with the spare tire rack would replace the existing rack we have. Not sure if there would be an advantage to that or not. I haven't really figured out yet how well they would work under the slides. I was thinking more in front of the axles so you could access them slides in or out.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our biggest problem storage wise is how the folding chairs and lounges take up half of the basement storage. If these would hold the chairs and free up the basement, they may be added to this year's wish list (Looks like I have some measuring to do). Slides in or out wouldn't affect it, other than forgetting to get the chairs out before extending the slides. I don't even know why I am worrying about the spare access anyway, now that I have the Chinese-made Mission fiasco replacements, I will never need the spare tire anyway!!!!
Bingo
Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bingo,
They will work. I saw these mounted on Bob Wilson's rig at the Fall Rally. He had them mounted behind the rear tires.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
George,
Is he a MOC member? Wonder if he would be so kind as to provide us the inside dimensions of the drawer openings that I can check against the chair widths??
Bingo
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay Bird

Bingo,
They will work. I saw these mounted on Bob Wilson's rig at the Fall Rally. He had them mounted behind the rear tires.
I can fit 4 folding chairs in the front compartment of our 2955
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Bingo,

Bob Wilson here. Yes I can send measurements. I can tell you right now, I had to cut the frame down by 7" and the weld the frame back together. The drawers work well. I carry my leveling wood, chocks etc... this removed from the truck bed and made it easier to place and store the wood.

I also have the tire carrier. My plan is to cut it down, by 7", so it will fit between the drawers and I will mount my blue tote in the carrier. I plan on leaving the spare tire where it is. As Jaybird said, I have the drawers mounted behind the spare tire. I have a 3400RL

Measurements for the drawers will follow tomorrow.

bw2
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
BW2,

Why did you have to cut it down 7"? Is it too wide for the frame?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Just what we need. We need to be careful to not overload our late 2006 3400RL as it is. Lightweight bulky stuff that takes up room is good! :-)
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

Just what we need. We need to be careful to not overload our late 2006 3400RL as it is. Lightweight bulky stuff that takes up room is good! :-)
That statement makes absolutely no sense to me Dean, but thats OK - I'm sure it was meant as a negative about something.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Open up your thinking a little bit and quit being so negative. It was an attempt at some humor. If lightweight bulky stuff takes up all the room then there won't be room for heavy stuff to overload the RV. The axles were upgraded on later units to offer more load capability.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
These go under the frame as additional storage. They don't displace any current storage or taken any current available space. Like I said, your statement makes absolutely no sense.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Well, it may not make sense to you but I am sure it will to everyone else. You can add only so much weight to a 2006 3400RL or any other RV for that matter, wherever it is located and you will rapidly reach the maximum GVWRating. I don't have any trouble loading up to that rating inside and don't need additional storage space under the frame. If I had less space inside I would have less room for stuff to avoid overloading. Relax! But if you are looking for a conflict, please look elswhere.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Bingo & bsmeaton

The frame structure was approx. 7" to wide for the trailer frame. These must be made for a toy hauler, which I believe have a wider frame. If I recall, my frame is 92" wide. The frame for the under storage was 99" or so.

The drawers are 27 1/2"x19"x8". (lengthxwidthxdepth) will not hold chairs, sorry Bingo.
The drawer door opening is 18"x13 1/2".

As stated earlier, I purchased them specifically to use to store the leveling wood, etc... to remove this material from the truck bed. I located the drawers behind the spare tire, which is stored behind the wheels. The leveling wood for under the tires are stored in the drawers along with a block for under the rear legs. This let me have a few less steps, walking back and forth to the truck. (OK call me lazy)

bw
Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
bw2,

It looks like the crossmembers on the rack are designed to mount on the frame, but there is also a center crossmember. Is that required to be mounted somewhere? I ask because I was wondering how the inboard crossmember on the single drawer would mount - the type that only goes out one side.

It sounds like you don't have any problem with the slides in or out?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks for the follow-up Bob. Looks like I will have to resort to Plan B (If I only knew what Plan B was??)
Bingo
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, Plan B: Buy smaller chairs......Sell others at garage sale......We got rid of our lounge chairs some time ago for director type chairs. Not quite as comfy but weight is an issue in the '06 3400 as Dean points out. I think a slimline luggage carrier mounted on the roof, shorter than the AC shroud might do the trick, Anyone do this???????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We saw these on a Keystone Raptor, last year. I wanted them, but didn't know they were available as aftermarket accessories. They would be great for our sewer fittings, since we no longer have a rear compartment (like the 3400's)
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
bsmeaton,

No I did not keep the cross member in the center. I just use the members on the outside. Since I had no plan to use the tire mount with a tire, the frame of the drawers appears to be plenty strong. Mine are under the slides on both sides, but since I am only using for leveling wood, chocks, etc... these are placed before opening the slides and replaced in the drawers after the slides have been closed, so access is not a problem.

A friend, with and SOB, cut the frame in half, mounted both drawers on one side near the front. He made his own center mount to bolt the drawer frames.

I was planning on placing the drawers toward the front, but the gas pipe runs under the frame and was in my way. I did not want to tackle running the gas pipe in a different location so to the back I went.

If anyone plans on purchasing, ask for the total dimensions. This will allow you to know how much modification may be required and whether you want to undertake the job. Having the drawers is nice for me and my use. No real weight has been added, just ease of use for me.