Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Fire, the Beast

Got up this morning and started to web surf after the coffee was done. Saw my friend Sam the Fire Chief from home online. He told me that there was a fire on the Chain (Cisco Chain of Lakes) yesterday. Since I used to live on the chain and grew up with a lot of folks there and worked there I know many of them. There was a fatality in the fire. A very old and dear friend of the family lost his wife in the fire. I am writing this thread because I am hurting for the loss of an old friend and because I have point to make about fire. It can happen anytime and anyplace. My parents summer home burned to the ground in Sept. of 2000. We built that A-frame home with our own hands and loved that place. It was a pile of rubble in a half hour. My parents just barely got out. They lost everything and I lost a large amount of personal stuff but not my parents. I can't describe the feeling I had after the fire. The feeling of loss was terrible and still haunts me today. People take fire for granted and become complacent toward it. I guess the point that I am trying to make is that the beast can arrive at any time and you need to be prepared to meet it. You hear about RV fires occasionally and most people think "that is so sad" but go right on with life and ignore the fact that they are vulnerable. One of my pet peeves has always been that rigs come from the factory with only one tiny extinguisher that at best would have a hard time handling a frying pan fire. I presently carry two 2.5 gallon foam extinguishers and will eventually have three. Even if people pay very close attention to fire safety it can still reach out and bite you. Accidents can and will happen, shoddy wiring, leaking propane. There are many places it can start and there won't be much time to get out. "Stuff" can be replaced, family, friends, people, pets cannot. Please be careful and please make preparations for the Beast... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Prayers for your friend, and thanks for the reminder.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
So sorry to here of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and to you and Betsy.
I spent 25 years as a volunteer firefighter and I know exactly what fire can do. To many times I have seen it completely destroy a home and all it's contents but thankfully I was only involved with 2 fires that claimed a life.
A house, our RVs included, and it's contents can be replaced but a life can never be replaced.
If we do nothing else, PLEASE, PLEASE check your smoke detectors on a regular basis. A working smoke detector is your first line of defense be sure it's going to work when needed. As far as that tiny extinguisher we got in our Montys is concerned, take it and throw it into the fire on you way out the door.
I echo your statement.."Please be careful and please make preparations for the Beast"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are so sorry for your loss. Thanks for reminding us, Dave.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

Sorry for your loss. We should always remember that fire is much more powerful then we think it is. As for the extinguishers that come in the trailers.... We do need to have larger ones. The little ones they install would only be good if we happened to catch the fire in its earliest stages! After a few seconds the fire would be too large to contain.

I keep promising myself to get a couple of larger ones but never do! This time for sure!

Thanks for reminder.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Dave,

We are also sorry for your loss,,,,

Would you mind giving us a link to the 2.5 gallon foam extinguishers you have ?

I would like to learn from this lesson and make sure I upgrade ours in the Monty

Thanks

Wayne
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, I PMed you the info... Dave
Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave, I think this would be good info to post, the kind of extinguisher you have. OR, is it on the HOME page here at MOC?? If on Home page, if someone could post link.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Not a problem, here is a link http://www.macthefireguy.com/fire_safety_products.htm the 1.5 gallon Fireade 2000 Foam P-can is like the units that have.