Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Violent crime finally comes to Black Lake, NY....

SUSPECT SOUGHT IN STORE-OWNER#146;S SHOOTING

State Police are searching for a man accused of
shooting a St. Lawrence County store owner.

Police say the armed robbery happened around 6:30 p.m.
Thursday at the Edwardsville Grocery in the Town of
Morristown.

A suspect brandishing a rifle entered the store and
demanded money from the clerk. The owner of the
business, 71 year-old James Snyder, heard the
commotion and ran to the front of the store.

Police say the suspect tried to exit the store and was
grabbed by Snyder. During the struggle, the suspect
allegedly fired a shot at Snyder, hitting him in the
ankle. He is listed in stable condition at
Canton-Potsdam Hospital.

Police say the suspect fled on foot. He was described
as a white male, dressed in camouflage clothing, 5' 6"
tall and a thin build. He should be considered armed
and dangerous.

Anyone with information is asked to contact State
Police in Canton at 315-379-0012.

Now this may seem like a run of the mill crime for most all of us but not where I came from. The Edwardsville Grocery was just a few hundred feet kitty-corner from our Sunnyside Motel on Black Lake in northern NY. Jim and Cheryl Snyder are close friends of ours. Jim's fine but he's not a very happy camper. You see Jim and Cheryl, also owners of Breezy Point Cottages, just purchased the store about 2 years ago. The former owner and one of my closest friends and fishing buddy, Tom, owned the store for 40 years without incident. Oh, sure he had a couple break-ins over the years BUT NEVER a robbery muchless an armed robbery and the break-ins turned out to be inside jobs.
Jim may be 71 but you wouldn't know it and God bless the robber if Jim finds him before the police. Jim isn't much bigger than the robber himself but even at 6' and over 300#s I would not want to tangle with Jim. He is also a welder and a truck driver and has some very powerful muscles in that 71 year old body. The robber might have been fortunate to have that rifle otherwise Jim would have beat the crap out of him.

This is the first time any local can remember a robbery at any of the stores around Black Lake and this guy was armed as well and a local got shot too. This kind of thing just didn't happen around Black Lake.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
UPDATE....

Update: State police said Friday night that an arrest was made in connection with the armed robbery at the Edwardsville Grocery.

Arrested was 35 year old Patrick Ashley of Ogdensburg. He's been charged with 1st Degree Attempted Robbery.

He was arraigned in Town of Morristown court and sent to the St. Lawrence County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash bail.

Note.. Ashley is not an uncommon name in the area. If memory serves me right I believe his S-I-L worked at the convenience store just down the road from the grocery.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #3

M.O.C. #2239
Thanks for the information. I grew up in Cape Vincent ( just up river ). Always interested in local news. We live in Rochester NY now and winter in Davenport FL in the Montana. We are up north for the holidays right now but if I don't freeze to death first, will be back in central FL by the first of the year. I have enjoyed the web site for several years and feel like I know a lot of you guys already.
God bless & keep your powder dry,
Jack
565568 is offline   Reply With Quote