Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Adding a flat four trailer connector

I bought one of those light bars for the back of the truck to increase visibility for all the in town driving I do.
It came with a four pin connector, but my truck doesn't have one.
Apparently, my truck is too new (2007 Silverado) to have the modular pass through connectors for the four pin. I never thought those would be unavailable.

Anyone suggestions to make a proper connection? Shrink tube won't work unless I cut the wire to the 7 pin...and that's not happening.

RV season is drawing to a close soon - you think I should wait it out to see if the modular connectors become available?

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Aren't there adapters made to do this, seems like I got one from the dealer?? I may be completely wrong though which would not be out of the question.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
There are adapters, I'm using one right now, but it is visible (looks really ugly) and will prevent me from using the 7 pin for towing.
What I want to do is either add the flat four pin and hide it, or direct wire it, but then I risk corrosion again.
They also have the 7 pin with the four on it, but this does not allow me to hide the connection.
You'd think this would be easy, but it's proving to be a pain.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I guess there is an advantage to having an additional fifth wheel 7 pin in the bed. Never tried to use both at the same time though, maybe that is an option, did your truck come with the extra harness for the in-bed hookup??
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hmmm...no extra harness. That might be a source to connect to though.
I've never even looked under there to see what kind of connection is available.
It's dark and raining here so I won't be looking tonight, but it might be an idea. Thanks
Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ozzie, are you talking about a light bar that only has marker lights, or something with stop and turn lights also? If it's just marker lights, you can tap into the license plate light wires pretty easily.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hey Lonnie...

The bar has left, right, stop, and running. No reverse lights.
The part stores around here think I have rocks in my head asking for the modular connections...maybe they don't do that anymore.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bruce, On my 05 the camper 5th wheel connector just plugs into the truck harness. It is located between the front of the bed and the cab. The cable part number for my unit is a Z04185418. Check with your dealer and see if that is what you need for your 07. If it will work I may have one and if so you can have it. If nothing else when you come to the Branson Rally I will bring some solder and heat shrink tubing and we will make one. Can't have you driving around with a wad of wires sticking out the back of your truck.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I appreciate the help and the offer Dennis.
I hope I don't have to take you up on it.

Maybe a trip over to the dealer is in order to find out what's up - I really don't want to cut into any wires to make connections.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't cut the wires, get the plug in adapter. The adapters have a grease-like compund in them to keep the oxygen out for a long life connection.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Maybe the 'chassis bed' is different but I was looking at one at the local GMC dealer on Saturday and, as memory serves me this morning, I remember seeing both a 4 pin and 7 pin adapter on that chassis. The 4 pin was up under the frame, coming out of the wiring loom earlier (what I am trying to say is there was a 'cut' in the plastic wrap and the wires came out with a 4 prong plug attached. It was zip tied into the metal crossbar at the back.) Given that little fact I just recalled -- it was there.

Again, this was on a cab and chassis frame so a 'fully built' truck might be a little different but worth a check. The plug was zip tied on the drivers side, back frame rail, and there was a whole gobb of other wire just looped around in the same general area.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I just went out and crawled under my 06 chevy duramax and found no 4 pin plug, bummer. I have an extra break light that goes in the hitch receiver and I would have to use the 7 pin adapter which I would have to unplug to use for the Big Sky. I also noticed that there were none of the inline plugs that were in my suburban where you could install the o-ringed T-plug adapter. So I guess that I am in the same boat you are in to plug in my extra lighting. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozzie, I'm installing one today. My Ford has the 4 pin next to the 7 pin as they always have. However I don't think I'll use the plug, rather I'll tap in direct to the harness behind the bumper. Can't you do the same?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What I did on my new '08 is unplug the harness end that plugs into the rear bumper recepticle, then plug in the tee adapter I took off the '06 Ford. It should be the same on all brands.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Wow...thank you for all the responses...

I just got home from work, raining and dark of course.
I've got half a mind to go out there with a flashlight to see if any connectors are lurking. I like Ozz's post about the tee adapter - that might be the ticket.
I could take the easy way out and splice into to the 7 pin wires, but I really don't want to do that. Too worried about corrosion. Minnesota has a way of testing electrical connections and I value that connection too much.
Using the connection by the front of the box would work short term, but if I ever get a 5'er I'm right back where I started again.

I gotta tell you guys, I really appreciate the help. I asked the guys over at a diesel forum the same thing and they keep telling me to use an adapter...even after telling them I have one and it is butt ugly on the back of my truck. Some folks just don't get it...and you guys do.

At least nobody told me to get a Ford...LOL

Old 10-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #16
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I found the item I think Ozz was talking about.

Looks like it takes care of all concerns.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper! You can tuck this under the rear bumper area with your flat adapter and wire tie it up. No see.
I really like the LED setup you are getting, maybe Santa will bring me one...Oops, Sue doesen't read these, I'll have to print this out and lay it on her desk.....
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #18
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
You'd love it Ozz...I stood behind my truck with someone holding down the brake pedal to see what it looked like. Anyone behind you will get the message real quick - even in nasty weather.
The unit I got was made by Recon - it has turn signals, brake, and running. They have another model with backup, but I hear it doesn't add enough.
Also thinking about getting LED tailights. Those are kind of cool too.
You can see the LED is quicker to respond than the old fashion model.

Here's a link for those that might be interested in this connection:

http://www.hitchcorner.com/t_connectors.htm

Item DT118384
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Question for you guys:

This connector - when installing, should I put something over the connector to prevent corrosion? As many know, I'm not an electrical guy - Lithium maybe?
Remember, we are in Minnesota, snow belt and cold temps that will test any connection and beat it up.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I was walking the dogs out at the local Ford and Chev dealers this past weekend - snooping around the new trucks and noticed that the fords all had some type of 'grease' in the trailer pin recepticles -- looked like vasaline. Just called the dealer and service tech doesn't know what it is but it is put in there to keep the pins from corroding. Ozz -- you know what it might be?
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote