Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Dodge Truck Differential

Hello Everyone,

The other day we noticed that the paint on our fairly new Dodge's differential was cracking off. When we peeled back the paint, the housing is rusted. The dealer says this is "normal" and to just use heat resistant spray paint to cover it.

Has anyone experienced this before? It is "normal"?

Sue & Harv

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I don't know that it is 'normal' but I do notice a lot of Dodge HD rear differential covers around here that are rusty. I need to check mine now that I just did a long run hauling the 5er; I do know that the differentials got HOT!!, had a dog run under the TV at one campground (neighbors dog) and it yelped and never came close to the truck again. Figure it got toasted a bit (we had just pulled in off the highway and EGT still read over 550 cooling down!!) I had heard of others who have temperature guages on their differentials and wondered why - never thought they would get that hot but Dodge tech told me today that they do get toasty (TV in for normal LOF). Again, I wondered off topic . Sorry
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sue & Harv,

You're Dealer is probably right that it is normal............IF YOUR DEALER DUG IT OUT OF THE MUD IN NEW ORLEANS AFTER KATRINA

No - just kidding- My Ford lost a little strip of paint on the punkin too shortly after we got it. I don't think they finish is great on that stuff and was probably a little rusted before it ever got painted to begin with.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Happened to speak to a student here this morning who works at the local Autozone. Said they sell a lot of high-temp paint to truck owners because of the 'pumpkins' original paint being so flakey (no pun intended I'm sure). Since I read this last night it made me conscious of the issue and on the way to work this morning I was looking at the differentials on vehicles as I went past them in parking lot -- a lot of rusty ones out there -- cars and trucks alike. So, I'd say it is fairly typical, at least in this part of the country where they do salt in the winter.

Even the aluminum ones that I saw looked dull and corroded.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You can buy some nice looking after market differential covers.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
My 2004 Dodge 3500 (4:10) paint peeled off also and is rusted up. It does get very hot with these loads we haul. I would say it is normal.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I changed mine out with a vented cover with a drain plug. It makes the maintenance easier. It also looks good. I got mine from Geno's Garage url = http://www.genosgarage.com

This is the one I purchased http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PML10361
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
I saw a fancy cover today that looked just like the one DonPd posted and was cool looking!

I'm glad to know that it is a common thing and not a defect in the truck. We live on the west coast where salt is not an issue, so I was a bit concerned by the rust. We'll pick up some heat resistant paint and maybe get the fancy cover in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input.
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
It is normal wear and tear on all brands... Now if you think about it. If your worried about the read differential. Thats the rear end of the unit. The front end of your unit has arrived just fine and your THERE. So, I don't think, I would worry to much about something that has showed up LATER...ho ho ho OH, Same logic is prevelent in BRANSON MAY 2008 SEE YOU THERE.....
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
You can get a nice looking one with a drain plug and larger capacity from Mag Hytech or something like that. They hold two more quarts of oil.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
This completely a cosmetic problem...something I am not worried about. If this is something that really bothers you they make a chrome or stainless steel cover which should hold up a lot longer.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
When I purchased the 2007 Dodge 3500 the dealer asked if I wanted it undercoated,I declined as I have under coated most street rods I've built. Two weeks or so after the sale, I inspected the under side, the drive line and front differential were not painted at all the backing plates on the front wheels. So I undercoated the fender wells rear, and the body with 3M undercoating and then masked it all off except the drivelines and diff and backing plates, using black hammeright paint and cover all that I could. We will see after this winter how that holds up.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My 2005 used but new to me Dodge 3500 Differential is so rusty its flaking off. When I get an owners manual and determine when to change the fluid, I'll get a new cover put on - unless when I get a spare tire, I find that it hides the cruddy diff cover well!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote