Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
High cost of doing it yourself

In the process of replacing the fuel filter disaster struck. Drained the filter (I thought) and somehow got it loose. Well while trying to remove it from behind plumbing and wiring the little ladder I was standing on took off across the garage floor. Many bad words at this point as diesel went all over the engine, me, and the floor. It was not completely drained. Got the new one on as fast as I could, primed it and in a hurry to get the truck out of the garage so I could clean the floor backed over my bicycle. Two new rims and one tire bike back in working order. Lesson learned, next time do it out in the yard or pay to have it done.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think I'll have mine done...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ole Rich is mechanically challenged. Having grown up in a family that had trucks and a Garage if something broke I just took in to the garage and it got fixed... I know little about motors and less about how vehicles work. I am defiantly not a do it yourself person. Helen on the other hand can do all that stuff and makes a good pit crew.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, the Duramax filters can be a b!tch. I still change mine myself though. I can get the filter for $21. Dealer wants $80 for the change. I'll change mine as long as I can. On the LB7 engines, the filter wouldn't come out the top side unless you adjust the AC line. Mine will squeeze out the top.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dick, I can just picture your disaster and could hear the words you were speaking. I am glad all is well again and that you did not get hurt in the fall from the ladder. Say hi to Toni for us.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dick,
Sometimes things just go from bad to worse in hurry don't they? Glad you weren't hurt.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Man, what a disaster, the important thing is that you didn't get hurt, it seems like sometimes things just pile on to a guy.
I don't like getting Diesel fuel on me, El Stinko..., so I just have it done. I'm fairly handy and could do it, but I would rather stand there watching someone do it, and have them go home stinky.
Go sit down and have a cold one.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dick, I sure hope that you didn't use those bad words in front of Cleo & Sheba
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dick, I know the feeling except I was standing on a 5 gallon bucket when it happen. But looks like a small latter can be just as bad.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Dick, Thank you for your post. I am due for a replacement fuel filter on my Duramax. I was considering a DYI, but your honest report has steered me in a different directon! I think I'll schedule an apppointment with my friendly Chrevrolet dealer.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
rlwhit, while on my recent trip to Oregon, I had trouble with my diesel truck not starting. I had to have it towed to a dealership.
We were in Colorado north of Denver at King Chevrolett in Loveland. The problem was the water sensor was overtightened and was leaking fuel. Therefore, it wouldn't start. I had it replaced by MY FRIENDLY mechanic on his LUNCH break just before we left Troy. Now get this, if I had just had it done BY the dealer, GM would have replaced it under warranty.
This is a simple case of trying to save a little cash! I guess sometimes it pays to pay a little more now than the problems we encountered later!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

rlwhit, while on my recent trip to Oregon, I had trouble with my diesel truck not starting. I had to have it towed to a dealership.
We were in Colorado north of Denver at King Chevrolett in Loveland. The problem was the water sensor was overtightened and was leaking fuel. Therefore, it wouldn't start. I had it replaced by MY FRIENDLY mechanic on his LUNCH break just before we left Troy. Now get this, if I had just had it done BY the dealer, GM would have replaced it under warranty.
This is a simple case of trying to save a little cash! I guess sometimes it pays to pay a little more now than the problems we encountered later!
I've seen the water sensor listed as a good thing to carry as a spare. BTW, when I changed filters before going to FL, there were some changes to the filter. Same part number, but looks to be all plastic housing now. First time I had ever had the inner seal ring to be that hard to get started on the upper housing also.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Hey Dick sorry to hear about the OPPS, don't give up the dealer takes enough of our money! Next time remove the fender liner the filter is right in front of you, makes for a simple job.SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am now firmly convinced that since I have absolutely no knowledge of diesels that ALL service on the new truck will be performed at a higher cost at the dealer. As an incentive though, I can provide myself solace that it also keeps my new tires for life from the dealer program intact. I know that many say that that is faulty reasoning, but replacing six tires every so often is an expensive venture. On another note, anybody have any idea of TV tire life pulling as Rich puts it "The Anchor"!!! I do not use the truck for anything else but the Monty so I would estimate that 90% of the mileage is ANCHOR induced. Thoughts or experience appreciated as always.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am so glad you didn't get bad hurt.... the Cummins is so easy to change it is almost a SIN..... Maybe Ford and Chev really need to take a look at that, and make it a little easier... Of course the cummins has a lot of room on both sides of the engine to make it easy. I smell like Diesel now and then, My bride won't let me in the house till I hose off ha ha
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote