Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Looks can be decieving....Now with Photos...

and don't go by your first impression.
Right now we are in Trinidad, Calif.
Redwood Trails RV park, an RPI park, is quite possibly one of those parks that I may have driven right on by had I been on my own. I wasn't the least bite impressed with their initial appearance but as we are traveling with the Emmel's, they are RPI members, we got in as their guests. The park immediately next door is called Stone Lagoon which is the public RV park of Redwood Trails. Stone Lagoon is also Passport America.
Anyway the RPI park is totally tree covered with some tight sites especially with the bigger rigs such as ours BUT nothing we weren't able to get into. The Stone Lagoon is in a totally open area and quite easy to get into the sites. There is only one snowy TV channel and Verizon cell phones just barely work but the Verizon Aircard does not. Not to worry as they do have WiFi which I am using for this post.
This morning I got up and took a short walk. I was amazed at the number of Elk grazing in the field immediately adjacent to the CGs entrance. I was able to walk to within 20 feet of them. Problem was I did not have my camera. Who would have thought you would see such a site so up close?

Check out their home page (Redwood Trails RV). The photo on the home page with the elk in the foreground is for real and no they are not penned in. The red school house in the background is a FREE museum which I will be visiting later.

Photos added on EDIT...
On the first photo take note of the Monty in the background and no it is not Steve's or mine.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...007/Elk004.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...007/Elk003.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...007/Elk002.jpg

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Nice Glenn. Now thats what I'm talking about. RMEF die hard
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Wow! Nice pictures!!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Okay, you guys, stop drooling over those racks! I know they would look great in your den. Aren't they beautiful animals! Thanks for sharing, Glenn.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
You know Glenn, two of those would feed the group at the north east rally and also the Branson Rally. You need to start thinking about this and make your trip worth while. ha ha
Safe Travels My Friend John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Glenn, that's the kinda campgrounds that make it all worthwhile. Great pictures, elk look healthy, serene setting, one of these days Glenn,..................one of these days. Looking at your pictures almost takes away the the smell of those round black rubber things . Thanks Glenn.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
WOW!! What a great site right there in the campground. Wish we were there.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
What a way to enjoy the morning coffee!!!!
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Glenn
If you haven't been to the Somoa Cookhouse yet, it is a "must do thing". The food is served family style, all you can eat. They have home made bread and it is great!
Go into Eureka and follow the signs to the Cookhouse, you will enjoy it.
Don
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

You know Glenn, two of those would feed the group at the north east rally and also the Branson Rally. You need to start thinking about this and make your trip worth while. ha ha
Safe Travels My Friend John
You know John, they would also feed the entire FALL rally.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You ain't gonna believe this put that same herd spent the entire day in that same pasture. We just came back from dinner, it's 9PM PST and they are still there. In about an hour they should move back into the hills but in all likely hood will be back in the morning. BTW-They are all bulls.
We went to Fern Canyon and on the way in there was a large herd of females with their calves. In all my life I have never seen anything like it. In PA we saw many whitetail deer but nothing compared to the elk we saw today alone and this is just our first full day out of six.