Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2005, 04:16 AM   #1
Montana_3918

M.O.C. #3918
Internet Security

We're brand new at this and aren't sure about where to post questions. So, this is a technical question but not about the RV.

How secure do you feel your internet connection is while on the road, as far as handling your finances and trading stocks? Do many campgrounds have interent connections?

(We've got the Montana but not the truck so have done no camping in it yet.)
Thanks,
Bonnie and Bob

Montana_3918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:52 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
From what I understand the WIFI connections are not secure. Someone will jump in and answer your question.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
You can download and use ZoneAlarm free. It will notify you anytime anyone is trying to get access to your computer. With firewall protection and virus protection, I don't see why there would be a problem. I run my virus scan often, as well.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We are fulltiming and use Tengo Wi-Fi service. Tengo is one of many wi-fi services offered at parks throughout the country. There is another current thread running that deals with cellular wi-fi. Well worth checking out! In our case, Cheryl does nearly all of our finances on-line and LOVES it! We keep both our firewall and our anti-virus up to date and have had no issues. As Roy and Nancy noted, it's all about the protection devices that you install. Like them, I wouldn't do squat on the net without them. As well, talk to your bank. Most banks have good seucrity embedded in their on-line services.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pete, which firewall do you use? I've just been using the builtin firewall that comes with XP sp2 and have had no problems. Years ago I used ZoneAlarm and understand it's still about the best around at protection.

As for wi-fi, we use whatever the park offers. There are several different providers we have run across. The first was TengoInternet, the current one is AirPath (HotSpots), through Wachter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:14 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Wifi essentially adds another "door" to your computer. It is a 2-way radio at 2.4 Ghz and always on. Wifi access is available to ANYONE within range of the AP [access point]. The AP's usually available to the public, ie. hotspots; RV parks, Panera Bread, etc, do not usually have WEP/WPA protection enabled. Broadband connections like DSL and cable are on all the time also, so taking the same precautions you take in a stick home are called for. Use a good antivirus, a firewall, programs that prevent/find the so called "call home worms", turn off file sharing, never go on the net as "administrator" or "root", and finally, disconnect from the internet when you're not using it [turn the computer off or remove the wifi card]. I use, and recommend, AVG antivirus, Zonealarm, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy, all free. They all are considered among the best, or the best, in their respective areas. All of these programs MUST be kept updated, the antivirus at least bi-monthly.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Bonnie and Bob,

If the web sites you are accessing use https (secure web pages) and you see the little padlock on the bottom of your browser, your information is encrypted from your computer to the remote system, regardless of wireless or wired access.

If the web site does not use https and there is no padlock symbol, then your information can be snooped on by anybody, either on the wireless side or even on the path over the Internet. All financial sites should be using encrypted web sites.

As for the other recommendations made by everyone else regarding general internet safety, I agree. I generally use the Windows XP SP2 firewall along with Microsoft's Anti-Spyware (free beta from Microsoft right now, just go to www.microsoft.com and do a search for spyware). I also use AVG free (www.grisoft.com) for anti-virus protection. Everhything is set to auto update. I have not come across any problems or infections over the past 3 months or so.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Montana_3918

M.O.C. #3918
Thank all of you for your helpful information. Just don't want to get out there and the money suddenly disappear.
Montana_3918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
FredG, I've been using McAfee's AntiSpyware and it's kept all spyware/adware off my system since I started using it. I used to have lots of aggravation from spyware/adware. I heard Microsoft's new one is a good one. Opinion?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 AM   #10
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

[...]AntiSpyware and it's kept all spyware/adware off my system [...] I heard Microsoft's new one is a good one. Opinion?
As a philosophical point-of-view, I think it is a potential-conflict-of-interest/bandaid/allaround-bad-idea that Microsoft, makers of an operating system with a security model of swiss cheese, are getting into the "anti-badstuff" market.

In my NSHO, they should concentrate on fixing their security issues. I have a hard time trusting their new offerings when they can't seem to fix the underlying problems.... In the same vain, I don't trust or use Microsoft's firewall.

The day may not be too far away when I abandon Microsoft. Anybody actually read the entire End User Licence Agreement (EULA) for XP or any of the updates you apply? Scary.....

Yes, I am turning into an anti-Microsoft zelot.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 AM   #11
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Steve,

On severely infected computers, I have had success in removing about 95% of spyware by using Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Spybot. I've found that anything those 2 don't handle requires manual cleaning. Microsoft's offering is quite good and also provides for automatic updates, scheduled scans, and real-time protection.

Also, if you want a history of Microsoft Anti-Spyware, look for reviews of "Giant Anti-spyware". Microsoft bought them around the beginning of December and basically rebranded the program. Giant was one of the highest rated anti-spyware programs at the time.
As for comparing it to McAfee anti-spyware, I have never used it since I can get Microsoft anti-spyware for free.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #12
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Eric;

I use Linux when on the net and for most other things. I've been thinking seriously about dual booting my laptop also.

Skip

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
For good protection, Norton ANtivirus ois the best out there as far as viruses go. For spyware, check out webroot.com, and downbload SpySweaper. it is $30, but it runs in the backround liek your antivirus software, and catches spyware as it hits you. As far as security, Zone Alarm is not the best out there, actually, it is not even close. Any software firewall is not good, including that whihc is included with XP SP2, it is a start, but it is software, and subject to software glitches and viruses. Hardware firelwall is the best way to go, when that does NAT and SPI ( Netgear and D-Link are 2 good ones). As far as encryption goes, even if websites are encrypted, if you are using WI-FI access that is not, your information can be snatched right up. Be careful when using unsecured WI-FI. You should have no problem with secured WI-FI, dial up, or wired ethernet, as long as the website is encrypted. If you need more information on all this, let me know and I will be happy to help you out.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote