Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
slfaircloth
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13407
I-95 Through Miami

Sadly, Our wonderful time in Key Largo is nearing an end. We are traveling with friends who have a motor home. They came down to the Keys several years ago and said I-95 through Miami was a lot of stop and go in scary (unsafe) areas. As a result, and to avoid tolls on the Florida Turnpike, we went around our elbow to get to our thumb on our way down here. It's going to a long trip back home to NC and I would rather take the most direct route, while avoiding any sketchy areas. Has anyone been through the Miami area via I-95 recently that can alleviate or confirm our concerns about taking this route?

slfaircloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I went south thru (around) Miami. I used 826 to 874 to 821 to 994 (went on side streets for about a mile to get to 994) and stayed at Miami Everglades Resort. Then on south on 997 to highway 1. No problems, but I make sure I don't go near big cities during rush hour.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have not. No route advice. Just the thought that sometimes the best way is to take out the coins and pay the toll. Painful in the coin, not so in the rest of the scheme of things. Can be a bit more efficient in the time bank. Time can be money. Sigh.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

When you get to Florida City turn left on hwy 997 / South Krome ave.

The road will make and mediate turn north.

41 miles latter you will have to turn north (left turn) on Hwy 27.

After this depending on how much traffic you are willing to tolerate you can go

East on I 75 / I 595 to I 95 (I don’t recommend this because of construction)

Or continue north on 27 to South Bay and turn right follow this road to Hwy 441 and go east (right turn) to I 95

Or my preference would be to go north on 27 to I 4 then I 4 to I 95 at Daytona this only ads 26 miles to the trip.

When driving an 18 wheeler from Key West I preferred Krome ave to 27 to I 4 to Daytona because of the easy driving. Krome is 2 lanes and can be intimidating and widening is not supposed to start until 2015. 27 is 4 lanes all the way to I 4 but does go thru a lot of cities. There are a number of RV parks on the way and traffic isn’t near as bad as driving I 95 thru Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach.

If a narrow 2 lane not to smooth road is a problem you could bite the bullet and pay the tolls to Hwy 27 and then proceed to I 4 to I 95.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you follow Phil Paxton's advice to follow 27 to I 4 you will drive right passed our gate at Haines City. We
Are on Patterson Rd about 10 miles short of I 4. Phil lives in Ocochobe and is probably giving you wonderful advice. We posted about the locomotives, that is Phil and Sally's hobby, great folks! Maybe we could meet for a meal.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
To avoid some of the madness on I-95 in South Florida, we'll jump on the turnpike at Ft. Pierce(only about a half mile from one to the other there). I've not taken I-95 thru Miami but the times I've taken it from Ft.Lauderdale to West Palm made me prefer going the turnpike route. Get a sunpass windsheild sticker at Publix for $5, get your $5 back when you open your acct. The sticker works on our truck even with 2 kayaks hanging over the windsheild. Without the Sunpass, in the Miami area(and I think most of the turnpike in the future may go this way)the toll booths take a photo of your license plate and bill the owner as registered(the fees are higher without Sunpass). Avoid rush hour and as a general rule it's smoother, safer sailing than navigating with the lane jockey psychos on 95.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We've traveled I95 in every state from Pennsylvania to Florida, with and without the Big Sky, and over several years. Can't say that we've ever had clear sailing, rush hour or not.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I hate I95 and have to use it all the time. There are major wrecks south of PGA Blvd WPB every day. I would run the route Phil suggested and enjoy it. This time of year you may as well not get in any hurry because as we say down here.... Their hereee. I was just up to Jacksonville 2 weeks ago and between construction, tourists and now the race at Daytona the traffic is OMG.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote