Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
HELP!!! Big Sky Ultra Tires???

Has anyone else had trouble with the tires on the new Big Sky (2008)? On our return trip from FL, the first of May we had not one, but two blow outs on I-95. The first one totally shredded, but fortunately did not damage the rim. Tom did a great job handling the rig with both blow outs. The second one split all the way around in the middle of the tread. These tires only have about 4,000 miles on them. We now have the unit in storage and are trying to find out who manufactures these tires and if they have any kind of warranty on them. Does anyone out there have this information? We want to contact the manufacturer. Thank you for any info you can provide.

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The Ultra CRT are ST tires and are made by Carlisle. I too had one blow on the way home on I95. I could not find a replacement within 100 miles North. I found a piece of metal in my sidewall that I attributed to the blowout. I ended up buying a LT tire and putting it on as a spare. go to http://trailertire.com and you can find them - here is the size info you need: I am not happy that these tires are not readily available when traveling!

STOCK #: 1604126
Load Range: E (10-ply)
Max. Capacity (Single): 3640 lbs. each
Max. Capacity (Dual): 3200 lbs. each
Overall Diameter: 31.7"
Maximum PSI: 80 lbs.
CARLISLE'S 'RADIAL TRAIL' Series Trailer Tire

Price: $136.95
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
After a few thousand miles on my OEM tires, I went to G-rated Goodyear G614. So far, they have served me well (over 18,000 miles). I also added the Pressure Pro monitor system to check pressure several times a trip. I drive around 60 mph while towing. After two very destructive blowouts on my former rig, I take tire issues very seriously.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Stiles- you probably made the right choice. When I was trying to find a replacement tire - Goodyear had an E rated tire that were readily available but was slightly sized differently than than my Ultra CRTs (like 80 vs 85 series). I will have to check out the weight rating and cost vs the G614. As it stands right now you have the best ST tire that's available
Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Thank you so much.....The MOC comes through again. I don't know what we would do without this forum. We also had a terrible time finding replacement tires and ended up putting two LTs on the front axel. My son-in-law was in the tire business for many years and will be placing a call to Carlise. We saved one of the blown tires (the one with the split in the middle of the tread). After we get the info from Carlise and the phone call we will post what happened and if Carlise will stand behind these tires. Seems strange the manufacturer does not put their name on the tires. I cannot believe Montana would put an inferior tire on the Big Sky!! We will probably end up changing to the Goodyears as Stiles suggested. Thanks again Steve & Stiles.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Be careful with LT tires on your front axels.....I'm sure they are not rated for the weight of the Big Sky. Check the side walls for their weight rating. The ST CRT are rated for 3640 lbs and the LT are probably rated around 3100 lbs.