Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #41
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
There is an RV dealer in Corpus Christi that is a dealer for the Mag Drive units. I have been wanting to go over and visit with them, but haven't had the time. BTW, diesel was down to $3.39 two days ago at a Shell between Rockport and AP. I'm holding out for below $3 a gallon to fillerup.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #42
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I will find out about the load ability as we are leaving for Yuma on the 23rd, 1250 miles so should be able to get some good figures. As to durability, the only wear item is the stainless wire we wrapped around the plexiglass and I understand they will in time wear away. The only maintance I see is topping off the jars. One gal of distilled water 88 cents and add four oz of baking soda, 48cents a box. I will premix this and keep it in the tool box and add as needed
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #43
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Barkman there is a problem with this idea. Everybody suggests that you mix as you have done and top off from this mix. The problem is when you produce Brown's Gas only hydrogen and oxygen leave your generator. The baking soda stays behind, so as you keep adding from your mixture your solution gets stronger and stronger. The baking soda is there to make the distilled water conductive. If you use too much baking soda the amp draw on your unit will increase. If you draw too many amps the solution will actually boil and you will carry water vapor into your engine. You can also produce too much hydrogen and cause temperatures in your cylinders to go too high. My unit as built actually draws 3 amps and produces quite a bit of hydrogen. Many units on the market draw 15 amps or more and that isn't good. I don't have a controller to keep my amperage low. It is done by design.

Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #44
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Interesting point I had thought about that, but that was as far as I went. I had assumed my solution was fairly weak. Suggested ratio was one teaspoon per quart, I have six quart jars I am using, but I was mixing as one per quart, so I assumed I was low. I do have a 20amp fuse inline and maye should reduce to 15. When you "say it is done by design" how so?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 AM   #45
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I really don't have anything to further this thread along other than to say I find this a very interesting discussion. I'm very curious to see how all this works out and if I can use it. Of course with me living in the snow belt with subzero temps I would have limited use, but even with that there would be enough to see a savings if it works.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 AM   #46
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
You must have an odd number of electrodes. There should be more negative than positive. My unit has 2 negative and 1 positive pipe. The are arranged as concentric circles. Inside negative, center positive and outer negative. We are going to Topsail Hill Preserve outside Destin on the 18th. That should be a good test. Returning home from Huntsville I got 3 m.p.g. better than I did going down to get the unit put on. I have further refined it since getting home and it is producing more HHO. Still, if you look at this in perspective, I have already seen a 15% increase in fuel economy. That amounts to about 90 miles more range on a tankful when running without the Tana back there. Now if I can just do 15% or better with it behind me, I'll be a happy camper.

Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #47
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
OK I take it you have a different system, I am using six canning jars and have them wired in series rather then parell(spelling). So am only running one pos and neg to each jar. Yes I did see an improvement and temp gauge is running lower so that is a plus and 23rd will be the big test
bob
Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #48
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well we finally got to Yuma the long way, drove 1805 miles. Saw bryce and Zion park. I used 145.9 gals compared to drive home last Spring driving 1358 miles and using 129 gals of fuel. I averaged as low as 11.67 mpg to a high of 14.52 and that was the first day driving from Lebanon to Burns. I had not really tightened the jars and lost on the second fill as well as having to recaulk some of the fitting as they showed signs of leaking. I am very pleased with the results as I stayed in the double digets and now realize that we drove over many passes above 6000 feet. As high as 8000, in hindsight I could have driven different roads and avoided some of the ups and downs. The system does work and I will do some more fine tuning to it like making gaskets for the lids which will prevent leakage
bob
Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #49
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It may be tough on those seals. H2 is such a small molecule it leaks through most materials. For my science classes we used to make hydrogen balloons to blow up. We had to be quick as the hydrogen leaked right through the walls of the balloon itself. O2 is a much larger molecule and should not leak nearly as bad.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #50
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Does this system run on the electricity from the alternator?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #51
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I ran hot wire from the fuse box, through a relay and an inline fuse for protecion
Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #52
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
A co-worker has just installed this system on his vehicle. I continually check with him on the progress he is making with his mpg useage. I would do this to my truck in a heart beat if it would continue to pull as it does now. When you get this information on power pass it on. Thanks.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #53
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And find out if that is "up hill."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #54
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would call the section from Lebanon to Bend "up the hill" over the Cascade Mountains a pretty good test section, I used 19 gal compared to 26 last year. As I said in my prior post I was really loaded and no problems pulling the grades. Ihave a 04 Dodge 3500 QC long box 5.9 diesel and feel I have adaquete power. I am seeing figures that I had not seen before. Beleive what u wish but I am happy with my $50-60 investment
bob
Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #55
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Part 2 of my test of the hydrogenerator. Drove fom Yuma to Lebanon Or, drove 1339 miles. I left unit off the first half to see what the difference would be, and averaged 9.8 to 10.2. At Hawthorne NV I turned unit back on and milage went up to 13.6to 14.6. I refilled at Burns to check how much fuel I used going "down hill" to home and used 18.2 gals. Yes I did rewind the jars using heavier gauge stainless wire, cost 9.95 for a roll. I am still happy with results and will even go to a heavier gauge and maybe use different wire to make it last longer even though the second wire did not wear as fast. Diesel was 1.85 to 2.29 on way home, not a real big cost saving but sure did improve milage and unit runs cooler and amp gauge was still in the 14 amp range