Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Input Please! Awning Selection

I squashed our A&E (Dometic) awning on our last trip and it must be replaced. Comparing all three available from Camping World, I have a few questions and would appreciate any input and/or comments. The 9100 Power Awning is on sale cheaper than either of the manual ones. I've heard a couple of pros and cons for each, but my main question is what do you have and if you needed to replace it would you replace it with the same or the other? If so why? Can the power one be retracted/put out manually if the switch or motor fails? Will the power one accept a "cradle" in the middle to support it? This is a loooong 21 footer! Will the power one accept the awning lock most MOCers are using?

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Larry, you might try a search about this subject. I asked the same question several months ago. I was contemplating installing an electric awning and had to weigh many options. For example: The electrics do not lend themselve to being tied down too much, plus no hangy things on it, can't use the deflappers on them either, however the ease of rolling up in the wind is inviting. Some have had problems with the electrics and the auto sensor system. I suppose those that have the electrics will be along to offer an opinion. This is just mine. If I were to lose my current manual one I would probably opt for a non automatic (wind sensing) electric. I think your style of camping makes a difference also. As fulltimers we tend to stay in one place a little longer so we put the awning out and tie it down pretty good and use 3 deflappers on each side plus put lights on it. We had gusts of 35 mph here today and I left it out without problems. If I was constantly on the move the electric would be great.

Hopefully you will get opinions from the folks with the electric awnings. I know when we were in Tucson, we rarely put it out due to the windy conditions. An electric would have come in handy then.....Many things to think about as you can tell.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Larry, I have to agree with exav8tr about the manual awning. Yes we are full timers and I like my manual as I am one who likes to sit under an awning in most all weather conditions. Here in Florida it is not at all that unusual to have wind gusts up to 45 MPH. I have mine tied down, all the deflapers in place and a full length sun screen. It usually stays that way from October thru May. I only put it up if wind gusts exceed 50 MPH. In 5 years I have yet to have a problem.

I have seen many auto electric awnings going up and down and up and down as the wind and gusts change. That alone would drive me nuts. The auto and the non-auto electric does not allow for a sun screen. At least not if you plan on using the auto feature or just pushing the retract button.
A few months ago we were visiting a neighbor with an auto electric. It was raining but no real wind and so we just sat under their awning and watched the rain. Than a wind gust came up and we had to find another shelter as the awning decided to put itself up. We headed for ours and sat out the rain under my manual.
If I ever do have to replace my awning it will be with another manual.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Larry, our 3400 was produced just before they changed to the electric option and at first I was very disapointed that we missed out. I could just imagine the convenience the electric might offer. After spending this past summer at our seasonal lot and observing/conversing with the 3 couples that have the new electrics I have changed my opion and consider myself fortunate to have the manual. Glenn describes the situation well, if you tend to stay in one place for awhile you may not be the happiest camper with the electric. On the other hand if you are very nomatic and move almost every night or so the electric would be a real asset. Since our seasonal is in windy Manitoba, Canada tying down is a must and we too always use our sunscreen!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I'm no expert on awnings, but have owned 2 with the Manual and 3 with the electric, with the wind sensors. The first had the auto wind sensor with no adjustment except to turn off the wind sensor. The type we now have is electic and it has a adjustable sensor with four setting depending on how strong the wind is. It has settings of 12 to 24 mph and it has been on 18 since we brough it home it also has a off switch.

We prefer the electric awning, because we don't sit ourside a lot. And don't like to hear the wind whipping the awning even with the flappers and I do have the flappers in one of the storage buildings. Also when the awnings are store most of the time they will last a lot longer. We normaly put ours out to keep the sun off the side of the 5er. As was stated you can't tie the electric awning down, and I have seen what happens when their not tied down, they don't look good over the top of the RV. I wouldn't leave a manual down when I am not around the 5er. I know a lot of people do, and have been in the RGV, the wind does blow there. I have also seen ripped from the side of the RV with the tie downs still in the ground. Each has to make his on decision. But if I was going to leave the awning out all the time I would go with the manual. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ditto what Lindy said. I have two electric awnings on the SOB. One over the entrance and one over the Long Slide that is for "patio." Sensors are set on 18 mph with the ability to go up to 21 mph. I have used the higher setting once, but prefer the 18 mph (factory setting). I tested them by leaving them out and they do come in automatically when there is a breeze equal to the setting.

I also don't recommend leaving an awning out when unattended. I have seen several manual awning tied down with stakes, and they appear to have survived. But if the wind is strong enough, it will tear the awning. That is the nice thing about the electric with sensors. They retract on the setting you have, but you do have the option of turning them off.

Having had both, I now prefer the electric with sensor.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
It doesn't appear at least one of your questions was answered...on ours at least, you can manually extend/retract the electric awning...it even came with the pole to do so!

We are "weekenders/vacationers" so we like the convenience of pushing a button to extend/retract the awning...even with the manual awnings we've had in the past (with deflappers and being tied down we retracted them when there was stronger winds as I couldn't deal with the vibrations associated with the wind and awning (that resistance thing). SO I prefer the button pushing option over the manual handle turning. Also, I am not sure I would change my mind if we were full timing.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Ditto what Lindy said. I have two electric awnings on the SOB. One over the entrance and one over the Long Slide that is for "patio." Sensors are set on 18 mph with the ability to go up to 21 mph. I have used the higher setting once, but prefer the 18 mph (factory setting). I tested them by leaving them out and they do come in automatically when there is a breeze equal to the setting.

I also don't recommend leaving an awning out when unattended. I have seen several manual awning tied down with stakes, and they appear to have survived. But . That is the nice thing about the electric with sensors. They retract on the setting you have, but you do have the option of turning them off.

Having had both, I now prefer the electric with sensor.
Wayne, You are absolutely correct "if the wind is strong enough, it will tear the awning." If the weather forecast calls for 50+MPH winds I will put up my awning. I would never put it up for 20 MPH.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have had both. I don't need the lock on the electric awning. I don't have or want the sensor since we don't leave the awning unattended. There is a way to attach a 12 volt source directly to the motor if the wiring should fail. I have not investigated manual retraction.

I prefer the electronic awning over the manual. However, the arguments offered by those who prefer the manual are solid. It all depends on your usage. There is no right or wrong, just right or wrong for your application.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Stiles, well put!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning strongly toward the electronic (maybe even without the sensors). We do not leave ours extended unattended, we put it up when it's pretty windy, and we will probably never be fulltimers or stay in one place very long. I'll still take more replies, though - probably won't order until the middle of next week. CW places their orders on Thursday, then a week to get it, then a few hours to install.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Larry, good luck with your choice. As I said earlier IF I HAD to replace it now due to disrepair, I would get the electric. BTW: Carefree of Colorado has just the arms that connect up with the stock awning and roller. Could save some $$$$ that way.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The stock roller and awning is what I smashed - about 2 feet at the aft end and some damage to the aft arm.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OOOOOOOOPS!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would opt for a "Quality" electric awning. One with adjustable wind sensors, Etc. When we need to replace our OEM awning that is what we will get. The weak point of the awning is up along the camper wall and we have seen many awnings torn off at the wall still with all the securing attachments in place.There are strong winds predicted for Sunday here in Florida so the awning will go up..I would like that to happen automatically.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
A question I have on the Electrics is: Once the awning retracts due to wind, does it automatically extend again or do you have to extend it yourself? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but everyone says there are no stupid questions. So, how about it those of you that own an electric, or self proclaimed experts on the subject.....
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When mine retract they stays retracted until I extend them again.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote