Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sleeper Sofa (3400RL)

Forgive me if this has been a topic before, but I have not been able to find anything in the threads.

DW is wanting to replace the sleeper sofa in the Hanna. She wants to get rid of the OEM air mattress sleeper sofa and put in a leather sofa sleeper with a wider seat cushion (DON'T GO THERE!) Actually she likes to sit with here feet up under her and the OEM sofa is just not long enough on the cushion area from front to back.

*Has anyone replaced the sofa sleeper in the 3400RL?
*How in the world would you get it through the door and turned to the living area?
*What did you replace with and do you like your replacement?

HELP! Need to keep DW happy so when I fuss she doesn't get mad.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, We are looking at doing something similiar. One of our OEM recliners broke and we threw it out (Goodwill actually). We want to replace the other recliner with a Lazy Boy Wallhugger leather recliner, but I can't find one in stock anywhere. Order time is ten to twelve weeks. I will not be anywhere for that long a period. We moved our sleeper sofa to the back window for more room. Would like to do away with this sofa also and replace with matching leather couch. We would then buy a air mattress for the few times we actually have company.

I will probably order and have it delivered somewhere down the road and pick it up when we get there. I just hope the last OEM recliner holds up long enough......

As far as getting it out, I'm told the backs come off, but it is a heavy beast, I have the regular sleeper sofa. The Lazy Boys backs do come off. If I had to I would take the sleeper apart and throw out in pieces, that's how much I think of it....

Let me know what you finally decide.

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wayne, it has to be a sofa that you can disassemble - partially, at least. The back will come off of the sofa/air mattress you currently have. We were able to get ours IN fully assembled, before we discovered how the back came off (long story - don't ask...).

We love our couch, but our use is different from yours. The few guests we have over use it to sit on for short periods of time. Our grandkids use it extensively when staying overnight as a bed. We love the inflatable mattress.

It would be uncomfortable for full time use as a regular sitting piece of furniture. It is rather narrow folded up and I was more comfortable stretched out on the OEM couch than this one. But then I have my chair that I "live" in.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, I'm thinking that there are RV/Motorhome sleeper/sofa's out there that should fit the bill. You are right in that it is not a good piece of furniture for continued sitting in.

My other problem is snoring. DW will inflate and sleep on it when snoring is bad. (Runs in the family - probably sleep apnia or what ever) so inflating and deflating and setting up with linens is a problem with the inflatable, but it has to be a sleeper/sofa for that reason.

When we get back to Texas City (TC) Tuesday, the next day we are headed to Holiday World. We are going to look around at the other MH's and see if there is something in that line that will do. Also will go to Laz-y-Boy and see what they have.

Phil, Did you have a Laz-y-boy model in mind?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne I lied, the model we were looking at is the 015506 Forte. It is the one with the distresed microfiber that looks like a bomber jacket. Wife reminded me that I liked that one better. This is the wallhugger recliner. Doesn't rock or swivel, but those are not available as a wallhugger.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
When we bought our Monty it was used. The PO's seemed to think that they needed the furniture more than the next owners. We found what we wanted at a furniture store near us and then we took the Monty to them. I had to double park, extend the slides and they loaded it right into the camper. This was much easier than loading the hide-a-bed in the truck then getting someone else to help load it into the Monty. Did I mention that everyone who worked in the store just had to take a tour of the Monty! They said "that's not a camper, that's a house." What a proud moment that was!

It is a queen size "England by laz-y-boy." We like it well except we can feel the cross bars in it somewhat. We’re thinking about a topper mattress to eliminate that problem.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Bill.
I'm going to go with the "Flex Steel," manufacturer. We have one of theirs at the stick house (not a pull-out) and have seen several in motor coaches and RV's. One of the big problems that I notice is the "big arms" that they seem to think is aesthetically pleasing. It may be to some, but with the narrower arm you get about 4, or more, inches of side to side room for stretching out. DW can lay on our present one and cannot stretch out comfortably and the exterior width is 73 inches. That same width on a narrow arm model allows her to stretch out without touching either side of the unit.

Thanks for the respons. We now know what we want and willk most likely be getting it from CW as they carry the Flex Steel line.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We broke one of the OEM recliners and didn't like them anyway so replaced them with a couple of Lazboys from RC Willey. The backs came off and as I was giving them my credit card, I inquired about their "free delivery and setup". With the answer I got, I pulled the Monty into their parking lot as we were leaving for our next spot and two big guys took out the old recliners and installed our new ones.

Love them!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Michael,
When I replace the recliners I will go with Laz-y-boy. They are nice.

Couch as of now will be Flex-Steel