Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
Replace analog thermostat with digital?

Got a 2004 2980RL and would like to replace thermostat with a digital one for better temperature accuracy. My analog works fine now.. just looking to replace it. Anyone do it? Source of new digital thermostat?
Problems encountered?

Dan

danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have a '04 2980RL also and I would like to do the same thing to ours. Seems a digital thermo. would be a lot more accurate.

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
That makes three of us with he same unit! Seems to me it would be a lot better than the anolog. I've changed ours over at the stick with a digital/set back unit and it really saves the $$. I'll keep this thread earmarked for responses. How do you like your 2980RL? Only problem I have is not enough sleeping area available unless we put down air mattresses on the floor. Thinking about pulling the two recliners and putting in a new sofa with the air bed in it for more sleeping space.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Check this out, we did it in the last two rigs. Price about $20.00.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...de.html?200529
Old 04-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Changed nine out with the new one they install on the new Montys. Got rid of the remote that dosen't work properly. Love the new one. Cost 224.00.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I changed my old Coleman analog thermostat to a Hunter (model 42999 b) digital about three or four years ago and it has work great. It can be set to a 1 or 2 degree differential. I keep it set on 1 degree.
I bought the thermostat at Walmart and it uses a double A battery for power. I change the battery once a year.
When I bought it it only had one fan speed so I rewired and added a toggle switch for two speed.

This may help you if you want to change yours.
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...ade.html?20053
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The difference is night and day. With the analog I would be cold then hot and could never seem to get a happy medium. The digital works sooooooooo much better. Also when heating with propane I do not seem to use as much.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I changed the analog in our 02 monty for a digital. It was a big improvement. Just keep in mind that it is not hard to change the Analog with almost any common digital, but the remote thermostat that was used for a few years around 05 and 06 is not as easy. They can only be replaced with Dometic's Comfort Control Centre, and that also means changing the main control circuit board in the air conditioner.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In our 2003 3295RK we replaced the analog thermostat with a Hunter digital, $25 from Walmart. The wire colors are not a one for one match. Somewhere on this forum or possibly on my computer is a diagram. The Hunter has a setting for how many degrees the temperature gets from the thermostat setting before it turns on the a/c or furnace. That setting allows a much more comfortable temperature experience since there is not as wide a temp swing. That's why we changed ours. The only problem is you can have just one fan speed unless you install a separate switch. We just used high fan for all of ours.

The wiring diagram is the key. Without it you do not know how to wire in the new thermostat. The wire colors do not match. I think Glenn may have the directions on the MOC page with all the info on it. Click on 'home' at the top of this page. I may still have the diagram somewhere although it may have been lost when my laptop got killed last year. If someone can't find it and needs it, email me and I'll look for it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

In our 2003 3295RK we replaced the analog thermostat with a Hunter digital, $25 from Walmart. The wire colors are not a one for one match. Somewhere on this forum or possibly on my computer is a diagram. The Hunter has a setting for how many degrees the temperature gets from the thermostat setting before it turns on the a/c or furnace. That setting allows a much more comfortable temperature experience since there is not as wide a temp swing. That's why we changed ours. The only problem is you can have just one fan speed unless you install a separate switch. We just used high fan for all of ours.
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote