Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
MorRyde Pin Box

My 3075RL pulls great and usually very smooth. But on occasion I will get on a stretch of highway where I do get some chucking. Not to the point of uncomfortable, but annoying none the less. I know some (many?) of you have MorRyde pin boxes. I am especially curious about those who pulled for a while with the standard pin box and then changed to the MorRyde pin box. How much difference did you notice?
And those who have always had MorRyde pin boxes can chime in also.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
You might check to see if u have shocks, my 3000rk came without shocks and after I installed them, it eliminated the bounce as well as sway. Monatana did away with shocks in 06 and if yours is a rear kitchen u do need shocks.
cost about $500 parts and labor
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
BB_TX
I switched to a MorRyde pin box after our second week long trip. It got rid of most of the as you say chucking but not all. I looked at a lot of pin boxes and hitches. I decided to go with the MorRyde pin box. It was very easy to install with two people working. Now I have a problem with bounce when there is a dip in the roadway and on some bridges. I was surprised to find no shocks on the unit. I asked my dealer about the no shocks and the bounce issue. The service manager said they knew about the bounce issue especially on the heavier units like mine. He said adding shocks will make it worse. So I didn’t add shocks. But I see blarkman added shocks. I think adding shocks would help me. I wonder if Keystone sells a kit? Any opinions out there??? Tom
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't believe that any of the pin boxes made will get rid of chucking. Yes, they will reduce it, some more than others. The only thing that I've found that really minimizes chucking is the TrailerSaver air ride hitch. Even then, on really rough highways like across the panhandle of Florida, there is a lot of pounding. Thankfully, the air ride hitch minimizes the pounding since the king pin floats on air.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although not an answer to your specific brand, but I went with the Glide Ride from Demco. Similarily priced and as easy to install. Eliminated about 80% of the back and forth jerk I had before.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by buschet1

I think adding shocks would help me. I wonder if Keystone sells a kit? Any opinions out there???
Probably a new topic, but talk to Mor-Ryde before spending the money on shocks. We had a lengthy discussion last year that was pretty much put to bed after Mor-Ryde explained why they no longer use shocks on thier systems.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Brad said about shocks.. The Mor Ryde folks had good engineering documentation to show that shocks detracted from the ride that the Mor Ryde suspension provided.It is true that the pin box can not eliminate 100% of the chuck as a really bad road will be more than the pin box can handle. Yoy really need to look at the Mor Ryde pin box to see how much chuck it can adsorb. We have a very smooth ride 98% of the time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It is an '07. I do have the Mor Ryde suspension. And I thought I remembered seeing shocks on it. But after the statements above, now I am not so sure. I will have to go look at it when I get a chance. It is in a RV storage facility, but not far from home.
I have not noticed any bouncing to speak of, just the occasional front-to-back motion on some roads. Nothing is ever out of place and rarely does a drawer come open, so it appears that it rides relatively smoothly.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
when I was having my ride problems I talked to Mission tire, my hitch source, Moryde and Dexter. Moryde would not say one way or other. Dexter said if I had rear kitchen I needed shocks, peroid. I had two choices, go with shocks or put on a pinbox and was leaning to pinbox. I made the decision to go with shocks, was cheaper and had to help the ride. It did and am not sorry. End of my story
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is a link to an interesting site that was posted on the Open Roads Forum. The guy created animations to simulate the actions of the various dampening pin boxes. From what I have read about each from their web sites, it appears he did a pretty accurate simulation of their action. Doesn't prove or disprove any one over any other, but interesting none the less.
I kept the link to this site, but forgot who it was that posted it.
http://members.aol.com/kurtissn/pinboxes.htm
Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I started out with a Husky two-airbag hitch, (Two Firestone air bags in the hitch) it worked very well with the ride of the Monte. I would look in the mirror on a rough road and see the nose moving up and down slowly, I really liked it.
The chucking did happen, on start up it was pretty bad, so I knew I had to go a step further.
When Stiles traded his older Big Sky for a new one, I was able to obtain the Moryde hitch on his new Big Sky, as he had another set up. The spring rubber in the big Sky is heavier than I needed, so I got a proper size from Moryde and changed it out. (Pictures in Ozz's mods) not a bad job at all.
The result, is about as good of a ride as I think I could get. I am extremely happy with that set up.
I know other systems are good, but that is my experience with my unit.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 AM   #12
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If you do get a MorRyde pin box, be sure it has the #4 spring. We had a MorRyde installed last Sept. at the Fall Rally and it had a #5 spring. We travel 2,200 mi. home and the ride was almost worse than with the stock pin box. The 3075 weight is too light for the #5 spring. MorRyde sent me a #4 spring that I installed, the spring was sent free from MorRyde We were not able to try it out, but I will be installing it on our new Montana.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

Those are excellent animations. They help explain a lot. We should see if Glenn could save them to the homepage somewhere as a reference.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They helped me a lot to understand the motions involved in the various pin boxes and I thought others here might find them interesting also. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. And an animated picture is even better.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don,
I agree, but I had to pay for mine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote